Who Are These People?

johnm

Not trying to start a thing over towing, but I have to vent.

Who are these people towing 8,10,14 thousand pound trailers without brakes on the trailer?

I've been looking for a 14-16' tandem axles trailer for a while and all the used ones I see don't have brakes...these trailers have max GVWR of up to 14K pounds and are not 5th wheel or goosenecks. Seriously? You have an F350 with a Class 5 weigh distro hitch and the trailer weighs 2-3 times what your truck weighs but I guess your good, right? No need to think about things like safety, control, flat tires or anything like that right?

ARGH!

Look I know I'm more risk averse than a lot of people but sheesh.

I don't tow anything large so I'm not in the know, but I didn't know you could tow that much without trailer brakes...

On the other hand, the stupid crap that people will do doesn't amaze me anymore, it makes me cringe...

B

Mike is right, well I think it is only 3k but after that limit brakes are required here... however, unless you get stopped in a big roadside inspection blitz you are not likely to get caught... until the accident.

Every state is different on the weight or size trailer that requires brakes. Laws are one thing. Common sense is what I'm talking about, but maybe it's not that common after all.

That cinnabon comment cracked me up for a good minute straight. Then I read it to my girlfriend, and she cracked up too. Partly because we are both apt to "break right" for a hot cinnamon roll.

You mean your not supposed to tow a triple axle flatbed trailer with a 25k Rock Drill on it and another 10.5k rock drill in the truck bed? When you only have brakes to 1 axle :whistle:

Edited by SilverPath

You mean your not supposed to tow a triple axle flatbed trailer with a 25k Rock Drill on it and another 10.5k rock drill in the truck bed? When you only have brakes to 1 axle :whistle:

sounds legit to me! hah!

yet another example while I was walking my dogs this morning. Old ass beat up farm truck that sounded like it was missing on 2 cylinders, towing a 9x20 trailer. The lanes on my road are 8.5' wide, so the trailer was either over the double yellow or off the side of the road.

her example while I was walking my dogs this morning. Old ass beat up farm truck that sounded like it was missing on 2 cylinders, towing a 9x20 trailer. The lanes on my road are 8.5' wide, so the trailer was either over the double yellow or off the side of the road.

Farmers can do what ever they want ahha. When I worked on the farm I remember towing things that I didn't think the tractor brakes could handle.

I love trailer brakes... especially on an unloaded trailer. When my ex's dad and I used to tow cars to the JY, we would get people riding our ass on the way back... he would turn the brakes all the way up, and just tap them long enough to smoke em.... people didnt tailgate after that lol

Your ex's dad is a dumbass.

See, this is why I don't usually post this kind of stuff...just keep it to myself. Someone inevitably comes up with some other example of irrational behavior that pisses me off all over again.

Your ex's dad is a dumbass.

See, this is why I don't usually post this kind of stuff...just keep it to myself. Someone inevitably comes up with some other example of irrational behavior that pisses me off all over again.

Not to defend (since I hav ebeen known to e-brake brake check people when in a bad mood... no brake light warning) but all he was doeing was making a little smoke show to get people to back off. People tailgating(especially tailgating someone towing something) irks me and is just as bad as a careless tower. Remember, coming from a wrecker driver here. I've (we all have) done my share of dumb things, learned some lesssons, some don't sink in on some people. You don't want me to get on a roll with the towing issues I see daily(cars and trailers)

I work at O'Reilly and this guy came in one time with a 1-ton dodge dually with a cummins pulling a loaded horse trailer. He wanted a plug to put in his front brake line because the caliper was leaking. Told him we wouldn't sell him one and he proceeded to inform us that it was fine, he already had one in the master cylinder blocking the back brakes. Talk about a freaking idiot, man. Six horses in a trailer behind a diesel 1-ton 4wd truck and you think you can stop it with one brake...