Headlights BOTH randomly go off, and turn back on?

zeppelindrummer

Okay, so i know something is wrong in my wiring with my headlights. I was driving at night to pick my sister up from school, and my headlights randomly went off. BOTH of them did. The two outer lights that are the daytime driving lights i think? both stayed on, but my headlights just randomly shut off. I didn't go over a bump or anything, i was just making a right turn, and they shut off.

I returned home, and they came back on for a second, and then turned back off. Today... same thing, on, then randomly off. This has never happened before, and i'm not positive what the problem could be. I ruled out fuse, because they turn back on sometimes, so it can't be a fuse. I haven't been able to check it out yet, but i have tomorrow all day off until 5. It luckily is snowing as we speak though...

Anyway, i was wondering if anybody has a wiring schematic diagram or anything that i can view to chase the wiring to find where there's a weak/corroded connection?

Any other ideas of where i should look?

i appreciate it everybody!

-Zepp

I'd almost bet my Terrano and the house that its the combination switch. Mine used to do the same thing, but mostly the DS headlight would either be delayed coming on, or would just shut off intermittently. Thats why she was called blinky for a while there. Easy enough to test & fix if you have access to a parts bus.

I'd almost bet my Terrano and the house that its the combination switch. Mine used to do the same thing, but mostly the DS headlight would either be delayed coming on, or would just shut off intermittently. Thats why she was called blinky for a while there. Easy enough to test & fix if you have access to a parts bus.

Where and what exactly is the combination switch? Is it the "thing" that comes out of the steering wheel, that is turned to turn on the headlights/driving lights? haha. or is that too easy, and it's something completely different?

but yeah, that sounds to be what mine is doing!

Thanks!

-Zepp

yeah it is probably the switch. If it happens again before you get around to looking at it try moving the switch back and forth between high and low a bunch of times. That used to work on my old pathy until we got a new switch. they are like 50 dollars from the dealer.

Yup, i just went to the dealership, and they didn't have one in stock, and i figured i'd rather give edicer some $ than those guys, especially since i'm waiting either way!

I've got paypal ready and everything, so just let me know edicer!!

if they are anything like the ones on my Maxima, an emery board, or fine grit sand paper should be all you need.

you are basically cleaning off the carbon, and getting the contacts to touch, again. you don't want to scuff it up too much, tho, just until they are shiny.

if the switch is anything like the maxima, tho, each head light has a separate contact inside the switch. not sure how much difference there is between the two (and I am away from any FSMs to compare), but if they are similar, I have concerns about it being the switch. if I am wrong, carry on....:FartExplode-vi:

Edited by BenStoked

I've got some fine steel wool that i am going to use, i just got home from work (it's 10:22, and snowing...), and i've got alotta driving to do tomorrow... so hopefully this will work, otherwise, i'm kinda SOL on driving at night!

time to bundle up and hit the pathy!

-Zepp

So cleaning of the connections did not work, i'm taking edicer up on his offer.

Thanks for the help all

-Zepp

Did you do it right? I usually take a small piece of sand paper folded over, so there is grit on both sides, and put it between the contacts, put pressure on the contact while pulling the paper out, repeat until all cleaned. You gotta double check that the contacts are making good contact also, sometimes you have to bend the reeds back down a bit. I had trouble after cleaning mine once and it turned out that one of the reeds was bent so when you turned the switch, it closed about 1/16 of an inch gap left.

i may not have grim, i had worked all day, and got out there around 10:30, and undid everything while it was snowing, i gave them a good rubbin with steel wool, and plugged it back in, but it didn't work. I'm not too worried though.... edicer is sendin me a switch, so i'm just gonna not be able to drive at night for a couple days.

-Zepp

• 2 weeks later...

So..... pretty major bummer, i got the newer switch from edicer, and it worked at first, but today i was heading home from work, and my damn lights went out again!!! i hadn't driven my pathy at night, until today though, because as i got the new switch, i had my brake problem, so it was parked for a while.

could it be a deeper problem? or should i buy a NEW switch from the dealer, and test my luck with that 90 dollar investment?

Thanks

-Zepp

Edited by zeppelindrummer

i doubt its your switch. mine does that too every once in a while. they work fine for the longest time, and then randomly they wont work, then the next day they will.

its probably a connection somewhere along the way that gets loose sometimes.

yeah... mine seem to not turn on, more than they want to be on, so i need to find the lose connection. It's obviously not anywhere near just the single light, because otherwise only one would go out. So i'm assuming it's somewhere close in the dashboard or in the steering column? I'll start my search friday.

Any input would be helpful, if anybody has a wiring schematic for the headlights out of a haynes or chiltons, that would be awesome, i just ordered one, cuz i lost my old one, and they don't have them at my auto stores... i have to special order them.

Thanks

-Zepp

yeah... mine seem to not turn on, more than they want to be on, so i need to find the lose connection. It's obviously not anywhere near just the single light, because otherwise only one would go out. So i'm assuming it's somewhere close in the dashboard or in the steering column? I'll start my search friday.

Any input would be helpful, if anybody has a wiring schematic for the headlights out of a haynes or chiltons, that would be awesome, i just ordered one, cuz i lost my old one, and they don't have them at my auto stores... i have to special order them.

Thanks

-Zepp

check the sticky for pathfinder books. grab a 94 FSM (EL (electric) section, and maybe BF (body) )to get you started. there should be little enough difference to get you started.