tire wear in the middle

ac92pathfinder

Wear in the middle is a symptom of to high of pressure as Adam pointed out, but it can also by caused by running to wide a tire for the rim.

What width are your tires.

And are you sure your pressure gauge is accurate?

Also, 28-32psi is the typical tire pressure for small trucks/suv's, what does the info plate in your drivers door jam (or maybe a sticker in your glove box) say it should be at?

I been running 36psi(street) in my Nokian Vatiiva MT's. 31x10.50 but also on an 8" rim they are wearing pretty even.

my laredo's were the same size but on a 7" rim and I only ran those @ 33psi

my door sicker says 28 psi for 235/75r15's (never had em) did you ever get 235's or are you still on 31's

Tire pressure can vary with vehicle weight, tire size, type etc.

the ony way the recommended tire pressure from nissan is goign to be correct is if you have Zero modiicatoins and are running the tire the vehicle originally came with.

Do the chalk test.

get your vehicle on dry flat ground.

Make a mark accross the tire with chalk. Drive straight down the road. If the calk wears off on the edges of the tire first, then you don't have enough pressure in them. If it wears off in the middle you have too much pressure in them. (if it wears on inside or outside unevently you have an alignment issue)

example, My ford F250 Diesel says to run 65 front and 65-85 rear. With NO load in the bed with my new tires, i'm at 45 in the rear to make them wear properly. 65 in the front is OK though.

I do this test on all my rigs.

87's right, that is the only way to be sure. All others are guidelines that generally work (since your profile does not show any mods).

Having lego's you should be fine with 31x10.5's. What size does the plate in your drivers door jam state?

wow I bet that would be a hot sidewall after 10 miles on the freeway

why do you say that?

there is nothing wrong with running that pressure. I know lots of people who run that.

Just because your tire says max Air pressure is 35 doesn' mean you have to run it at 35.

:blink:

I bet that is a harsh ride!

And watch for wear in the middle, I bet if you did the chalk test it would show that the tire is riding on the middle section of the tread.. hell if you took a straight edge to the tire it would likely show as high in the middle.

:blink:

I bet that is a harsh ride!

And watch for wear in the middle, I bet if you did the chalk test it would show that the tire is riding on the middle section of the tread.. hell if you took a straight edge to the tire it would likely show as high in the middle.

for real man

why do you say that?

there is nothing wrong with running that pressure. I know lots of people who run that.

Just because your tire says max Air pressure is 35 doesn' mean you have to run it at 35.

well my tire says max psi 50 and I am nowhere near that. I just figured some 31x10.5's would heat up more if run under 30 psi. I guess allot of it depends on the tire too. I had a set of laredo's that were so stiff that the sidewall looked the same @ 18 psi(but still got hot lol) as it did 33 psi But my Vatiiva's noticably flex more @ 30 psi than @ 36 psi

Edited by MY1PATH

i have the legos and running 31x10.50 r 15 these are wider then the other 31's that it came with

They make a narrower 31? I thought choices were 10.5 or 11.5 widths :shrug:

As stated do the chalk test, I'm runnign on the centers a little at 32(ish)psi right now. 50 would ride like a brick(worse then normally for me) plus wear the middle out in no time.

Ran my old BFG KM1s at 27, run my BFG ATs at 32, and run my Mud Rovers at 29. All 31x10.5 on 15x8 rims. It depends on the tire.

Almost the same here, my original BFG MT's (non-KM) sit at 28 as do my KM1's. My BFG AT KO's sat at 30-32psi

If you go to aftermarket tires and not the exact same tire that was on it from the fatory then you must contact the tire company to see what the best pressure is to run in the tire to make them last.The little tag in the door or glove box is for the stock tire(not a dirrfrent brand/size.tread type)the same tire,Like my mom went from goodyear wranglers on her f150 to goodyear tracker 2's so she should ask a tire place what is the best pressure to run(not wal-mart,screw those sob's)Any halfway decent garage will have a book from each tire company that will have all the tire pressures for diffrent trucks/wheels/sizes and whats the best to run.Thats the only way to make them last...and the PSI on the side shouldnt be used as a gauge as they are maximam tire pressures(as in you shouldnt go over them)And if you fill them up to that psi you will have more wear in the centers...

If you go to aftermarket tires and not the exact same tire that was on it from the fatory then you must contact the tire company to see what the best pressure is to run in the tire to make them last.The little tag in the door or glove box is for the stock tire(not a dirrfrent brand/size.tread type)the same tire,Like my mom went from goodyear wranglers on her f150 to goodyear tracker 2's so she should ask a tire place what is the best pressure to run(not wal-mart,screw those sob's)Any halfway decent garage will have a book from each tire company that will have all the tire pressures for diffrent trucks/wheels/sizes and whats the best to run.Thats the only way to make them last...and the PSI on the side shouldnt be used as a gauge as they are maximam tire pressures(as in you shouldnt go over them)And if you fill them up to that psi you will have more wear in the centers...

this is only if the tire company knows exactly the weight and distribution of weight in your vehicle.

its all weight vs area, vs pressure.

You might need 10psi of air pressure in a load rated E tire for a pathfinder of say 31 x 10.5 but in a load C range on a tire that is 9.5 wide may need the same.

its all a guess unless you do the test. and tire manufacureres will tell you the same.

Why is pressure vs area so hard for people to understand?

i'm not going to do a 100% calculation on this.. but thik of it this way.

area of 10 Square inches at 10psi will support 100 lbs.

area of 20 Square inches at 5psi will support 100 lbs.

so with that said, differnet size tires (which will ultimately have a different area) will require different pressures to properly support the same weight.