The High Mileage Club

adamzan

Mine has 182k miles and when I took it in to get an alignment the guy at the desk said I don't know how much longer that thing will last, considering its got "such high mileage"

:rolleyes:

I get looks of stupidity for saying I put the 4runner togher with 150k on it and White Owl having 187k. That ain't high to me, more like average to low. (little over 9k a year average for the 4runner and like 8 1/2 average on the Nissan if I did the math right) We love "high" miled cars at work... they lasted this long...

ha! I know what you mean Adam. I had to get some stuff done to pass emissions (new cat, some hoses and misc other things) and the guy who did it called me and says "I've got your mess of a Pathfinder done" then when I go to pick it up I ask if they replaced the cat or if I will have to do it sometime soon in the future, he says "yeah we replaced it, you wont have to do it again because your truck will die in the next couple of years." I was like "WHY? What did you do to my truck!?!" He goes, "Oh, just because its so old." I'm like "The engine is new, the suspension is new, the emissions are new, its an AZ truck so its rust free..."

He just says "yeah, well I don't like old trucks"

Mine has 182k miles and when I took it in to get an alignment the guy at the desk said I don't know how much longer that thing will last, considering its got "such high mileage"

:rolleyes:

i was looking at the new frontiers crew cab just to look and they asked how many miles i got on my path and i said 187k and they told me its time to get a new car lol cause its gonna start haveing problems. lol so are they tryin to say to me that nissans wont make it to 200k? if my trans goes out its getting rebuilt. im at 189 close to 190k. perrs like a kitten. i got it in april of this yr with 177k it has 189k.

my friend lauged @ me when I said that my enginge swap prolly wont happen till this one gets in the 300k range. Why? is another 60k so hard to get out of my engine? I certanly don't think so.

Aproaching 240k and my next timing belt pretty quick now...

Hahah, I was scanning through the new content and I read this topic as "Mile High Club" lol. Just turned over 260k on mine and took it on a 400 mile highway trip over Christmas, gets to 75 no problem and still got 18-22 mpg. The 22 mpg was with a pretty good wind at our back. Can't complain about that at all!

Considering the casting process used on the older Nissan/Datsun cast-iron blocks, these engines will go a hell of a long time. The old L-Series engines were casted so precisely with very little boring of the cylinders walls and combined with very good oil control rings, that there is virtually no wear to the cylinder walls until around 300k. The casting process isn't quite as extreme with the VG block, but it's still damn good. Most domestic manufacturers cast a "rough" block and then bore out the cylinders, leaving larger metal crystals in the cylinder walls which break down easier and aren't as strong as a small-crystalled cast, again coming from a precision cast without much boring at all.

That has nothing (in the sense of engine longtivaty)to do with it,its how well the engine is balanced,if its poorly balanced it will gaul the hell out of the cylinders,but the most commen problem(aside from improper maintance) is cam shafts eating lobes and putting metal in the oil and poorly made heads...

most blocks you can just bottle brush hone /\ and the rings will seat.I'm not saying that casting has nothing to do with it(if poorly cast they will be more prone to cracking) but the cylinder ports are made to be rebuilt sevral time,thanks to excess materual in the wall.A engine that is properly maintained will be able to be rebuilt as many times as necasary,but if its properly maintained then its not going to be rebuilt as much as a engine thats beat to crap.

My '88 passed 363,000 miles the other day. Before I tipped it on it's side last Winter people that don't know car models and such thought it was only a few years old. :sssh: There wasn't a dent or major scratch on the whole thing. All good things must come to an end I guess. I haven't washed it since the flop so it's looking pretty run down now. I'm afraid the car wash will break the rear 1/4 window that's bowed in an inch at the bottom and I aint washing it by hand! :nono:

• 4 years later...

I have an 88 2-door, changed engine at 380,000 km (seals were leaking like crazy), tranny changed at 400,000 km, then drove from Southern Alberta to Nova Scotia, 5,000 km,ran great ($ 800 for gas). Still runs great. Paid $ 500 for it 4 years ago.2 years ago i spent 10 days(1800 km) camping and fishing in the Rocky Mountains of southern Alberta. Awesome truck.