Hubs Predicament

NavyP503

So the Auto hubs on my 91 XE are going out. I took them apart yesterday, drivers side was okay just put some new grease in, passenger side was pretty bad, the brake set is shot and some of the teeth are pretty worn down. The opinions I'm wanting to get is what I should do next.

The local junkyard has some auto-hubs for $50.

The 4x4 stores can get me Warn for $190 and be here in a week, or Milemarkers for $120 and get here in about a week.

Autozone can get the MM's fro $86, but they're out of stock and no telling when they'll get more in.

New brake set from Nissan would be $50/each and be here in a week.

I'm leaning more towards getting a set of manual hubs, but I'd rather not spend another $200. I don't really go 4 wheeling, just need the 4x4 for bad weather and going to the ski resorts. But right now the Pathy is up on jack stands in the garage and I'm trying to get it out soon.

From searching it looks like MM's are the way to go for me, but I really like the instant gratification I can get with the Warn's :D

EDIT: Just found Warn's for $165 shipped, brand new. :D

Edited by NavyP503

If you don't really go wheeling, then I'd say you are probably ok with the stock autolockers. My next choice would be the Warn and bypass the Mile Markers. Why pay 3/4 the priice for a weaker product. :shrug:

B

Yeah don't mess with MM go Warn or go home lol.

JY charging 50bucks for hubs is redicouls too. I found some nissan Manual locks up here for 25 bucks @ the JY and nissan had quoted me 400bucks new lol. The OEM manuals are the strongest IMO but means the next weakest link is your CV. Warn on the other hand sells and aftermarket ring that is DESIGNED TO BREAK before your CV does. The ring changes out in about 5 min and runs about 10 bucks.

Now like B said if you don't really go wheeling the Autos are fine. I have a pair that I will part with for 25 bucks (my local JY price) + shipping.

OOPS, will my 89's fit? I can't remeber what year they changed the spline count.

Edited by MY1PATH

Yeah, 28 spline, I went down and counted just to be sure :D The only thing keeping me from going with a junker auto hub is that the wear in them might not be much better than what I have. I found some Warn's for $150 shipped now so when the wife gets home I'm going to ask her about it. I'll let you know though, thanks!

Broke down and got the Warns, hopefully get them by this weekend. New and shiny won out this time! I'll put up a couple pics of the old broken one and the new ones once I get it all put back together. Thanks for the opinions everyone!

Heads up on the studs and nuts that come with the WARN hubs. Don't use them. There is a thread around here for alternatives to replace them with, but the studs that WARN provides are weak and brittle. I broke one at the recommended install torque. Imagine my shock.

I installed grade 8 socket head cap screws initially, but later swapped out with SS ones because the others were rusting. I would recommend the SS ones, but there is a risk of galvanic corrosion because of dissimilar metals. I haven't had the opportunity to take them back out to see if any corrosion is occurring.

I can provide the McMaster-Carr part # for the stainless bolts if you are really interested.

Ugh, everyone I called is on back order. The site I ordered them through say's it'll be 2-4 weeks, and I need the garage space before then. Thinking about getting one auto hub off the junkyard to at least get the passenger side back in working condition.

I think I blew one of mine up last weekend, my friend needed to be pulled out of a predicament and I put it in 4x4 and reversed a few feet because I was pulling from the front. Anyway, when I tried to pull him only the rear tires moved but the front cv was moving but no 4x4. So I decided just to tug him a bit. Low and behold when my truck was spinning a bit all I heard was click X203423 and BANG it was in 4x4, for about 2 minutes lol.

manual hubs.. dont mess around. not worth it.

I've seen them unlock when going from forward to reverse.

ya ya.. many of you will say it doesnt happen, but i've seen it first hand severa times.

I could see how it could happen if the internals were dirty or corroded. Bottom line though is that the manual hubs are much stronger then the autos. I broke an auto and it took the end of my CV shaft with it. Yes, I was definitely abusing it. Lucky I didn't take out the bearing at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran the old "selectro" MM for bubs for years. and beat on them no issues.

the ONLY thing that was wierd, is that i had to remove the lock washers, get shorter bolts and use red loctite to keep the botls tight. For some reason, if i drove in 2wd with the hubs turned in for any istance, the bolts would come loose, even when i torqued them.

wierd.

I will second the comment about the warn studs, they blow i have had two break and i replaced them all with grade 8 bolts but make sure to get lock washers for them two i had a problem with them working there way off. I hate the stock auto hubs, i have had two pathfinders and the autos on both would disengage at the most inopportune times and caused a real headache when i actually wanted them to unlock.

Edited by daver123

Got them installed yesterday, I was anxious and hadn't made it to the parts store yet so I tried the stud, first one snapped at 10 ft-lbs, so I pulled them all out and went and got some good 12.9 bolts. Went to start it and the battery was dead :P After jumping it and testing it out it works great and no more ratcheting noise!!!! It snowed about 9 inches today so I'm taking her out to run some errands today.