Buying a laptop for my mom

Precise1

Like it says... I dabble in computers but am not a pro by any measure, nor have I ever bought a laptop. That said, my mom needs one; another computer I'm buying her. Laptop so she doesn't have to have a desk set up and can play with it anywhere at home (wireless) and so if she has issues/questions, it can be picked up and moved.

Her computing needs are some internet and some document programs with digital photos mixed in once I buy her a camera. I want to keep the cost between $500-750. I have heard to wait until Windows 7. (yes, windows, not Mac). I'm looking for a 17" screen with high res, my mom is 74 so a big screen is good...

Does anyone have a warning or tip?

I can pick this up tomorrow (last day) for $650 at Costco with an additional 1 year warranty (2 years total). I'm leaning that way if I can upgrade the OS for free...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349616,00.asp

Thanks.

B

HP is very dependable.... I have had MANY comps.... dell is like the bic disposable razor of comps... gateway was great 5 years ago.. but not anymore... Sony has issues with the power cord plug in.. it needs to be replaced often.. toshiba is good... a rant.. but thats what I have to offer.

I like hp and toshiba (what I currently own). Dell is crap like beavis said. I find the hinges for the screen on dells gets loose very fast. Never experienced sony or gateway. But tekazgtr1984 will tell you that sony is good.

My hp is aight, but little junk has broken or worn very fast, and it is a handful to deal with software and OS wise, but i know a 60+ year old couple that has the same comp, and they figured it out and use it just fine

HP Pavillion, series dv9000

Ok, you guys are mirroring my previous experiences and the homework that I have/am doing.

I had a HP Pavillion PC years ago and it was great other than upgrading and updating; everything was through their site and a PITA. Other than that, it never failed.

Obviously my mom doesn't need the latest/greatest, just something reliable and that I can set for as much self maintenence as possible.

Yeah, Toshiba was on the list too, but none for sale locally right now. (Yeah, I'm a cheap bastage, but I have to be. If you knew what I spend on family, your jaw would drop.)

B

That's why I don't spend on family. Other than my parents and grandparents, the rest do nothing for me but expect lot's from me and give me nothing, not even respect in return.

Good luck with the search B.

I was down to Toshiba, MSI and ASUS, and to some extend Acer, when I bought mine, an HP or two were among my later considerations, but did not offer one thing I was looking for in the models I liked.

I ended up going with an ASUS, but those might be more than mom needs (Same as MSI)

I'm not a huge fan of Acer, but some of the later ones are nice and they have an 18in screen (16x9 true widescreen format) in their linup

HP and Toshiba make very good computers. Toshibas are somewhat cheap and offer a lot for the price. I'm typing on a brand new one right now.

I've had 3 Dells, 2 desktops and 1 lap top. Every single one had a ton of problems and 2 required getting them completely replaced under warranty.

Add don't get me started on that POS MacBook I got suckered in to...

Acer makes a good basic computer for cheap that are reliable and easily upgraded.

Hp and compaq should be off your list imeediately. they are the most worthless piece of @!*% ever made in the history of computers. the best computer out there is made from IBM which it is called lenovo. Easily the most solid computer money can buy and u can get yourself a nice thinkpad or idea pad for about 700 bucks nicely loaded with everything she would ever need.

090105-y650-01.jpg

^^^sexy!

Again, stay away from hp and compaq. i have one and typing with one right now and it is a total piece of junk! my dad has a lenovo and always have and its been exccelent for him. He would know, he works at IBM.

Edited by LovemyPathfinder

Hp and compaq should be off your list imeediately. they are the most worthless piece of @!*% ever made in the history of computers. the best computer out there is made from IBM which it is called lenovo. Easily the most solid computer money can buy and u can get yourself a nice thinkpad or idea pad for about 700 bucks nicely loaded with everything she would ever need.

090105-y650-01.jpg

^^^sexy!

Again, stay away from hp and compaq. i have one and typing with one right now and it is a total piece of junk! my dad has a lenovo and always have and its been exccelent for him. He would know, he works at IBM.

:scratchhead:

Hmmm, my much older sister has had 4 HP Pavilion notebooks and she loved every single one and never had any problems with them. She kept each one at least a year. The only reason why she gets new ones is because she can and she enjoys new and improved technology.

My wife has a HP and for her uses (internet browsing-wireless/spreadsheet type crap/pictures/music) it's great besides a lame battery.I think it's goeing on 2 years plus me using it a little when my 10 year old e-machine finally crashed for the last time and she would feel bad for me.

i f your on a budget go ahead and buy the stupid hp, don't forget to get the protection plan. That is the only reason why i bought it. In less than a year, i have had diskdrive issues. hard drive issues, monitor issues where things just sorta freez onto the screen and dont go away. My lightscribe junk doest work anymore and my battery doesnt last for more than 30 minutes. Also The charge adapter broke on me and also that hole u stick the charger in is effed up and i had to rig it for it to charged. that stupid touch pad thing on the top of the keyboard sometimes freezes the taskbar and crashes or sometimes it just doesnt work. this is my second hp and my last! I know many people that will tell u the exact same thing.

POS

Well my friend, that's what we call a lemon. It happens, that's why you do the smart thing and get a new one under warranty. It's not just or worth blowing off an entire brand based on one foul experience when so many others have had good things to say about the brand.

But back to tips and suggestions for Senior B before he :bwack:s everyone. :D

Edited by Kingman

one full experienced? well let me tell u my friend, i owned 2 compaqs presarios, and 1 compaq laptopn...PIECE OF &^%*ing @!*%, All of them couldnt hold memory well and just didnt last for my needs. So many problems to name. And i have had 2 hp's pavilion notebookes. this one is a replacement for the Other hp that failed in less than a week so i guess technically that would be Three HPs. The last one failed within a week, because it decided it just didnt want to start.

YEAH. that is enough to draw me away from the brand buddy.

my parents Ibm's and lenovos never failed them. We have an old ibm desktop machine that is almost 8 years old and still working well.

this is exccelent suggestions, STay away from compaq and hp. :ar15:

i f your on a budget go ahead and buy the stupid hp, don't forget to get the protection plan. That is the only reason why i bought it. In less than a year, i have had diskdrive issues. hard drive issues, monitor issues where things just sorta freez onto the screen and dont go away. My lightscribe junk doest work anymore and my battery doesnt last for more than 30 minutes. Also The charge adapter broke on me and also that hole u stick the charger in is effed up and i had to rig it for it to charged. that stupid touch pad thing on the top of the keyboard sometimes freezes the taskbar and crashes or sometimes it just doesnt work. this is my second hp and my last! I know many people that will tell u the exact same thing.

POS

B, that is definitely the exception :togo:

I was down to Toshiba, MSI and ASUS, and to some extend Acer, when I bought mine, an HP or two were among my later considerations, but did not offer one thing I was looking for in the models I liked.

I ended up going with an ASUS, but those might be more than mom needs (Same as MSI)

I'm not a huge fan of Acer, but some of the later ones are nice and they have an 18in screen (16x9 true widescreen format) in their linup

Yeah, Asus makes some good stuff. I'm influenced by the Asus MB in this computer thats been doing it all for 7 years now...

I don't think Mom needs the top of the line though. Sis will use it and it will be garbage in 2-3 years anyway. Don't get me started...

Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like it is along the lines of what I was used to in the electronics field; buy good and then hit and miss...

Honestly, I think I'm going with the HP (free extended warranty) tomorrow.

Mom will be tickled (after she bitches at me about spending $) and intertubing again. That's what really matters... :beer:

B

I've been running a Compaq for the last couple of years, havent had a problem with it, runs Autocad fairly well. The missus has an Acer, very nice machine, will probably be what I get next.

I just got my daughter the Lenovo G530 from Tiger for $650 shipping and taxes in. It's a barebones book but has adequate power and features for her needs(university).

She hasn't been surfing with it yet because I need to hook up this wireless router first.

Scott had recommended the Asus and I gave them a good look but ultimately, it was too much machine for her and too much cake for Dad.

I used to work in a computer repair shop for 3 years and gateway, dell and toshiba and a few offbrand laptops came in more than anything. of course you have a few hps that came in wit ha bad battery or motherboard but no where near the amount of the others. I would stick to a brand name for a laptop and dont get a off brand that way if does break you know your covered with the factory warrenty. So I would personally stick to a HP but thats completly!

Parts that break commonly on the problem computers

Gateway= bad motherboard and hindges overheating(cooling failure on cpu fans)

Dell= bad batterys and motherboard and chargers

Toshiba= cheap feeling, poor powercords, seem kinda slow

All new laptops seem to run kind of warm so i would recommend a laptop cooler. Also if possible I would upgrade the battery. I used to get about 3-4 hours on a regualr one and now i have a 8cell one and it get 8 hours. with screen dimmed down.

I have also owned 6 laptops the first was one of the tops brands and the last 2 have been hp and have lasted longer the then other 5 combined