Buying a laptop for my mom

Precise1

So I got the HP laptop and a HP flat bed scanner/coppies/fax out the door for just under $800. 17" wide screen, 2100mhz dual core, 4 gb ram, 320 gb HD, 2 year warranty, blah blah blah. Pretty nice machine. First thing I did was make recovery disks and then dump Norton securities and install ZoneAlarm, install Firefox, tell IE to FU and update Vista. Tonight I remove all the trial crap, install Microsoft Office, check the recovery partition, set up an account for my sister (without admin permissions), set up/test all the video stuff, set all updates on auto and set up some bookmarks I think my mom would like, oh and request my copy of windows 7...

Sheesh!!

The missus has an Acer, very nice machine, will probably be what I get next.

Yep, from what I know, Acer is a solid brand also but a little more costly, right?

Scott had recommended the Asus and I gave them a good look but ultimately, it was too much machine for her and too much cake for Dad.

Asus gets top marks from me also, but definitely too pricy for my mom to use Word and the internet on...

All new laptops seem to run kind of warm so i would recommend a laptop cooler. Also if possible I would upgrade the battery. I used to get about 3-4 hours on a regualr one and now i have a 8cell one and it get 8 hours.

Actually, I was supprised that this one didn't seem to get too warm, but yeah, I may look at a cooler. Good call!!

I'll have to check to see if it has thermal probes like my 7 year old Asus deck top...

I doubt this lap top will ever leave the house (unles I'm doing something to it) so battery life doesn't really matter, it will always be plugged in...

Thanks for the input guys! :beer:

B

Hope your mom enjoys the new laptop :aok:

Oh and edicer2, is right, I also recommend a cooler ;)

Derek, just research it good, and don't fear a wireless router, they are pretty easy to setp now days *just setup a new "n" router to replace my old "b" router* :aok:

hahaha, I have it installed but have not reconfigured my laptop yet.. still using WEP security, which is not supported by n. So the laptop and printer (wireless multifunction device) are currently connected @ g It's not hard, just did not bother with it once I had the router working for everything else.

But if your just using it primarily for web browsing then I doubt you will notice much of anything. Because b (11MB max, more realistically 4-8mbps) is faster than most peoples internet connection can support. Where you really notice the increase is in file transfers within your own network ;)

Maybe tonight I will setup WPA to activate the n protocol, but I have MrJim donation work that needs to be done first

So I got the HP laptop and a HP flat bed scanner/coppies/fax out the door for just under $800. 17" wide screen, 2100mhz dual core, 4 gb ram, 320 gb HD, 2 year warranty, blah blah blah. Pretty nice machine. First thing I did was make recovery disks and then dump Norton securities and install ZoneAlarm, install Firefox, tell IE to FU and update Vista. Tonight I remove all the trial crap, install Microsoft Office, check the recovery partition, set up an account for my sister (without admin permissions), set up/test all the video stuff, set all updates on auto and set up some bookmarks I think my mom would like, oh and request my copy of windows 7...

Sheesh!!

Yep, from what I know, Acer is a solid brand also but a little more costly, right?

Asus gets top marks from me also, but definitely too pricy for my mom to use Word and the internet on...

Actually, I was supprised that this one didn't seem to get too warm, but yeah, I may look at a cooler. Good call!!

I'll have to check to see if it has thermal probes like my 7 year old Asus deck top...

I doubt this lap top will ever leave the house (unles I'm doing something to it) so battery life doesn't really matter, it will always be plugged in...

Thanks for the input guys! :beer:

B

sounds like a good deal! good choice! aww ihate how they load them up with crap then try and make you pay to have them remove it. bastards!