What tools, equipment and workwear do you use ?

GoPathyGo

I didn't see anything specific to this topic, though data is scattered throughout the forums. What tools and clothes do you use when working on your Pathy/cars ? Is there stuff meant for other uses you've adapted to wrenching ? What have you found most cost-effective and useful ?

This is NOT meant to be a bragging thread - "Check out all my cool stuff". In fact, I'm so sick of wasting time and money on stuff that's either useless or breaks that I started this topic in the hope of finding ways to save or work more effectively. E.g., the spark plug pullers at Pep Boys are basically useless on my VQ. $10 right down the drain. I used a magnet pick-up tool (the type that allows you to grab screws and stuff that fall into the engine bay when you're working on stuff) to pull the plug instead. Worked fine and kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Also, hopefully this will help new members get an idea of the stuff they may end up needing.

Since I'm starting I'll throw out my list.

Clothes

Basically the cheapest crew t-shirts and cheapest shorts I can find. Current winners are $3.33 crew t-shirts and $9.99 swimming trunks at Sears. I don't care about color or pattern since it's all gonna be black pretty soon anyway!

Cheapest sandals I can find.

Cleaning up

Costco Kirkland Green Dishwashing Liquid. This is their version of Simple Green, which a lot of folks here recommended. It takes off everything from AT fluid to dirt and doesn't rip off my skin. $8 for a huge bottle

24-pack or 50-pack of terry towels. Used for everything from cleaning tools to wiping my face. Costco and HD generally tie for lowest price on these at $0.25-$0.50/each

Costco Microfibers. Best deal I could find anywhere. $15 for 30+. Used for everything from cleaning the car to holding spark plugs and stuff you don't want getting dirty

Husky 30-42 gallon contractor bags. The contractor bags are DA BOMB. They've taken everything from warm engine/AT/t-case oil to paper towels. :aok:

Paper towels. Whatever's cheapest.

General tools

These are used all the time on pretty much everything.

1/2" (20 - 240 lbs/ft)and 1/4" (up to 200 lbs/inch) torque wrenches. Sears Craftsman. The handle on the 1/4" has broken :tongue: Otherwise they're fine

1/2" drive. This was from a cheap snap-on kit. Only thing that lasted. Used ALL the time since it's relatively small and can take a beating.

1/2" and 1/4" straight extensions. I found the extensions I have that allow you to put the socket in at an angle didn't work well. Recommendations welcomed.

1/4" metric sockets, regular. Up to 15 mm.

1/2" metric sockets, regular and deep. Up to 27 mm. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have spent the money on the deep sockets. Would have just got the deep impact sockets and been done with it. Craftsman and Kobalt (Lowes). These have held up very well considering the beating they've taken.

1/2" metric impact sockets, regular and deep. Up to 27 mm. Same brands as above.

1/2" swivel head sockets, few sizes. VERY USEFUL for getting at stuff recessed in corners. But VERY pricey. Only bought a few sizes. SK Tools.

1 pair each needle-nose and regular pliers

A few swivel-head Kobalt ratcheting wrenches. Very useful for tough spots.

A few random screwdrivers. :shrug:

Craftsman 20-ton bottle jack. Worked well and has the height needed to lift my Pathy.

6-ton jackstands. They've held my cars up for over a week at times.

Torin Big Red screw jack. These things are AWESOME. It's a jack and jackstand in one unit. You just put it under the jacking point, turn the screw and leave it. No messing about with positioning jack stands and lowering the truck or finding spots that'll allow you to jack up the truck but still leave room to get the jackstand to bear load. Pure hydraulics so the effort becomes greater as you raise the the truck, but nothing some good elbow grease won't solve. Got 'em from Northern Tool via eBay. Prices range from $25-$80 depending on capacity.

Tape measure.

Two Lasko 20" fans. No HVAC and lots of windows so the garage gets hot. $15 at Home Depot. Work great.

Corded worklight you can hang or slide underneath the car. If I had to do it again, I would buy LED. This thing is fluorescent tubes but they get warm and aren't as bright as some of the LEDs out there

Multiple 12- and 14-gauge extension cords. My garage only has 2 15 Amp circuits. Bizarrely, 1 circuit has 1 plug and the other has 3 and they're all located on 1 wall. Huge pain to get stuff around. This doesn't sound bad until you try to run 2 fans, a worklight, a charger or two for the Dremel/DeWalts, an air compressor and an angle grinder at the same time. This is NOT an unusual set up. The breakers trip all the time. So I run the 12- and 14-gauge lines into different circuits in the house

1 Halogen worklight on a 40" stand since one side of the garage has no lighting

Power/Air Tools

DeWalt 18V Cordless Impact

DeWalt 18V Cordless Drill

Both of these rock! Come with extra batteries and chargers so you can swap 'em. Mine have been bulletproof. I went with the 18v ones because the smaller sizes didn't pack enough punch.

Bosch Angle Grinders. Clunky but fine. Lowes had a box of 2 for $80 deal going

Dremel MultiMax and Dremel cordless stylus. Very useful for jobs where precision matters or you need to get into smaller spaces and use smaller blades than the angle grinders. But NOT very hardy. If anyone else made decent ones, I'd buy em.

33 gallon Craftsman air compressor. 5 cfm. On sale for $300. Did a LOT of research on this. Used ones were either too expensive or the wrong size. Anything more than this required a 240V setup.

1 Eastwood powder coating kit. Lots of fun and saves money. $100-$150

1 IR lamp to cure the powder coat. USELESS. Use a toaster oven instead.

1 Sandblasting kit. $30 at Sears. So far it has cut HUGE amounts of time I used to spend cleaning/prepping/sanding items.

1 paint spray gun.

Random Stuff, Specialty Tools and the like

1 pair Pep Boys spark plug pullers. USELESS.

1 magnetic pick-up tool with flexible neck and built-in LED light. $15 at Pep Boys. Awesome.

1 pair snap ring pliers. Very specific uses

Safety helmet with face shield

Safety goggles

Welding helmet. No welder. No idea how this got here.

Nitrile and cloth gloves from True Value. These are easily the best gloves I've used so far - and I've tried everything from the $20 "Mechanics Gloves" sold at Lowe's to the disposable vinyl gloves. $5 at True Value

Shop creeper to roll and move around under the truck. Very useful.

Mechanic's chair. I refused to buy one for the longest time. Finally gave in when my knees threatened to go on strike. MAN, what a difference. Virtually no knee/joint ache and, since it has a tray built into the base, much less time finding tools. Still a rip off in terms of price but a great thing.

Couple of the cheapest 4-tier shelves I could find and a garden table used as a work surface. Actually, I think one of the 4-tier shelves a closet organizer. Whatever. Stuff stays on it for the most part. :shrug:

Couple of Craftsman tool carts on casters. Useful place to put the tools and, since they're open, you can see the stuff you need quickly instead of rifling through doors. Got scratch-and-dent versions for $50 apiece at Sears. :aok: Don't know why you'd buy new since it's gonna get kicked around anyway!

Giant city-supplied trash can

Several 6-packs of soda and a few snacks.

Edited by GoPathyGo

ooh, very nice! I couldn't agree more with everything you listed.....A few of those are stuff I've been on the fence about buying, i.e. creeper, chair, tool cart, gloves, lighting...

Some more stuff-

Cardboard boxes- Good for anything really, catching spills, pizza boxes make great creepers, knee cushions, etc

Cinder Blocks- Cheap, get a few, I use these to sit on sometimes, and other times to extend my jack stands and jack...

Welder- I really wish I still had one, even if you can just get a 110v 90amp mig from harbor freight, I can think of a few times that using one would be very helpful, and its always good to learn a new trade!

Metric Sets- There were a few times that I wish I had 1/2" drive metrics.....ended up having to use a special open end ratchet set for some stuff cause I also had to use my 3/8" at the same time with it's metrics

PIPE!!!- It is REALLY helpful to have a 1' and 2' piece of metal pipe to fit over a ratchet or such, to help break those bolts loose, or a breaker bar

PB Blaster!- Rust eater

Shop Towels- Help to clean junk up, can get at lowes for pretty darn cheap, maybe 10 bucks a box? these really are priceless, I used them to mask off the entire back of my pathy in lack of newspaper when I repainted my tire carrier.....

every time I use tradespro it breaks and every time my friend picks me up a new one (usually broke on their car) its another tradespro to break. some times they get smart and get me a powerbuilt which doesn't seem to break.

Forgot to add-

BUY A BIGGER FLOOR JACK!!!!!!!!

I hate myself for not buying a better trolly/floor jack, I got one for 35 bucks with 2 jackstands, and the stands are great, but the jack can't even reach my frame, and if I say, put it under the pumpkin, I need a 3' metal pole to use it, cause it came with a 1.5' handle that can't get the leverage on it.....

the only things you really need to work on a wd21 are: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 19mm and 22mm open end wrenches (a few other huge sizes may be needed to do everything). a few sizes of phillips screwdrivers, and 10mm and 6mm? hex. it's nice to have one flat screwdriver, mainly for prying.

You can basically strip an entire wd21 with those tools :lol:

You guys listed what I have and more.

I do have a good pair of channel lock snap ring pliers though. They have 5 different ends you can put on and they can do both kinds of snap rings (ones that compress or expand)

Cost me about 30 bucks a princess auto and I've used them countless times. Definitely worth it.

I also have a set of TASK Extractors, which are amazing. I never actually used them yet but I loaned them to magregor so he could change his exhaust studs on his pathy and he said they were awesome. You burnish the broken bolt/screw with one end and extract with the other. They were 20 bucks and there are only 2 of them but they seem to be of high quality.

I used to have a complete set of wrenches and sockets but my brother and his friend came in one day and half of it disappeared and I never saw any of it again :stickwack:

Edited by adamzan

A must for me is a set of quality screwdrivers. I have sets of Mac Tools screwdrivers, both phillips & flat, and in my opinion they're the best! They've been used, abused and everything in between, the bite they have is second to none. Sucks fighting a screw with a crap screwdriver.

I should also add, that if you CAN, get an electric screwdriver type thing, small enough to fit in tight spots, with socket attachments, this would make things like the BL when you got alot of 10mm bolts to take out/put in/take out/put in, much easier...

I found that having a pair of loose junk jeans, a heavy carhart or similar thick work coat, welding or heavy gloves, and a full face shield helps TONS when having to use the grinder in tight areas....I woulda been mangled having that grinder in the spots I had to use it...

Well, I'll add a few things...

Coveralls. Buy a decent pair for $30-40, you won't keep ruining clothes and are a boon when the weather is cooler.

Shop Towels (heavy duty blue paper towels) about the only 'rag' I use.

Chemicals!! Alcohol, naptha, thinner, carb spray, brake cleaner, penetrant, etc...

I am a machinist/home mechanic for a couple of decades so I have all sorts of tools, to many to even go into other than...

Calipers. Buy a dial set for $20, you won't believe you ever got by without them.

I have a set of safety glasses that has a led bulb on a swivel on each temple. Great for when you are under the truck/leaning into the engine compartment. No need for positioning/holding a light, they shine where you look. Headlamps work well also, but I like the safety glasses so crap doesn't fall into my eyes...

Creeper and mechanics stool is more important the older you get...

I'm sure there are 100 things I'm forgetting. :shrug:

B

• 3 months later...

A few things I've picked up that my toolbox won't go without anymore.

Nitrile Gloves from Autozone- keeps the oil off and actually helps prevent a lot of the nicks and cuts I used to get without losing the dexterity that you would with the cloth type mechanix gloves.

Tap and Die set- I just have a cheap set from Harbor freight from now, but for just cleaning out threads in the bolt holes and on the bolts it's already saved me tons of time and it wasn't too expensive, probably wouldn't trust

it to actually put new threads on anything harder than maybe aluminum. Will be getting a nicer set when I can afford it.

Earplugs- Box of disposable earplugs, inexpensive and worth it

Toothbrush and wire brushes- The cheapest tooth brush I could find, great for getting in and cleaning tight areas, and the nylon bristles are safe on most finishes

Voltmeter- I have a multimeter but when I can afford it I'm buying a Fluke, uber-useful and I've never had a Fluke break on me (4 years in an industrial setting on an aircarft carrier).

I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting, I'll wander around the garage tomorrow and add the useful stuff.

An old radio I don't mind getting grease on is nice!

oo good list so far. Here are some of my favorite things for working on the truck. Most of it is handmedowns from dad, i bought a bunch of stuff from princess auto, and i am always looking on kijiji first, before i go to a store to buy something new. I have a nice socket set from my dad. An air compressor with tools (i don't often use) Cordless drill with lots of bits, and an angle grinder with cutoff discs and wire wheels. It doesn't matter what brand hand tools they are, as long as they have a lifetime warranty that is honored close to you.

x2 for coveralls. Mine were $30 from TSC. They save your clothes and are fashionable! I use them all over the place now yardwork, house renovations, fishing, add a goalie mask and machete and you've got yourself a halloween costume :lol:

Ramps. Mine were $40. It makes cleaning, changing the oils and skidplates much easier. Faster, and safter than a jack.

The big shop-teacher style safety glasses so when you lie under the truck you don't get crud in your eyes.

Tap and die set for chasing and making threads - very useful on rusty old trucks. mine was $20 off kijiji

Red heat lamp. Aim it at your tools closely. Since they are made of metal, the light will heat them for you. Very nice in the colder months.

Pry-bar set or one big one.

Big metric combination wrench set

ratchet extensions and elbow (helps with #6 plug, starter)

Voltmeter

vernier calipers

headlamp

brake cleaner, seafoam deep creep, belt dressing, elec. contact cleaner, wd-40, white lithium grease, axle grease :wub: , blue loctite, clear silicone, more brake cleaner

Soldering gun, wire, fuses, relays, ring terminal, butt connector, vampire connector, tape, solder, flux paste GOOD electrical pliers (like channel loc)

fluorescent trouble light (cheaper than LED)

rags, old blanket

oil/fluid catch tray

kitteh litter for spills

piece of clear hose for bleeding the brake lines

smokes

tetanus shot

zip ties baby!

among many things that are liste and all the normal tools I pickup everytime I have a job to do (always a good escuse to buy a new tool)...

cardboard boxes are excellent to let you slide in and out from under the truck

the stainless steel pieces of metal from old wiper blades come in handy for lots of applications

several lengths of 1/4 inch aquarium air line and a big (10 cc or larger) syringe

1" diameter 6' long pieve of galv steel conduit, flattened mostly at one end to slip over wrenches

for cleanup... a can of coleman fuel, an old toothbrush and a bar of lava soap.

and my favorite tool.... my visa card

Tools-to put it bluntly I have a full auto repair shop at disposal, not goeing to try to list them.

Clothes- my work clothes and work boots work great as my "play" clothes since I don't have to clean them in my home wash machine.( well my wife don't have to). Ocasonally they become a old pair of jeans, beat up t-shirt, and my mid grade pair of cheap shoes. (have 3 of the same generic shoes. 1 clean, 1 work/play, 1 held togher with tape that I just won't throw away).

Oh God. I don't think the forum will let me list everything. :lol:

Let's just say I've got probably 10-15k worth of tools in my garage. Some of which I'm even capable of using!