4WD Light

Scottzilla

My green 4WD light hasn't worked since I got my Pathy. After some troubleshooting and modification I finally got it to go. It looks like in the '89s anyway the light is set up so that it will only light in neutral (auto tranny). Is that right? The manual makes it sound like it should be on any time you're in 4WD but that can't happen the way things are wired up.

It's a green light on the dash, on the right hand side, at the bottom. It has a 4wd symbol on it too.

I can get a pic if you want.

Nah mate, its all good. I will add that to the collection of electrical problems I have to sort. Starting with lighting, have to hook up relays to hi & lo beam, then spotlights.

almost.. my light goes out only after the hubs have disengaged which is not immediately after shifting into 2wd

X2 Mine only goes off after I reverse a little.

my switch was shorting out so i just unplugged it rather than get a new one. they were pretty expensive last i checked

my 87 and 95 both light up and stay on once out of 2hi...once back in 2hi as soon as you roll either direction the light should go off

this is how mine DID work.

until i disconnected them due to a short.

almost.. my light goes out only after the hubs have disengaged which is not immediately after shifting into 2wd

Yeeh, now that you mention that my 93 is like that (auto hubs) it's been a while since I used it.

But my 88 isn't like that (manual hubs), as soon as I shift out, even with the hubs still locked in, it goes out. :shrug:

It should come on as soon as you shift out of 2hi, and go out when you shift back into 2hi.

Mine works like that now (it doesn't wait for the hubs to disengage). I wonder why it's normally connected to the neutral switch on the tranny.

I thought your front diff exploeded^^^^

My works good...but some times I gotta back for the light to turn off...or do a donut...or turn the wheels left'N'right.

One time the 4 wheel decided to engage it self at about(one hub locked in)20 mph going do a steep hill...kept her on the road(about 2 inchs of glare ice)

and got out gave the hub a kick(p-offed,scared that it mayhave broke it self...If I break stuff I'm ok about it...its my own fault...but when the truck does it of it own free will...gwrar..watch out man)Backed up/went a head and it up and disengaged...never happened again and the 4x still works...

Edited by nismothunder

• 2 weeks later...
sounds like some chafed wires or a sticking switch to me...

I think the switch is sticking or something. I've wiggled the wires and nothing changes. It seems to come on a bit sometimes when I first start it up. Sometimes it goes off by itself and sometimes I have to switch in and out of 4-HI a couple of times. Oh, well. I've seen where the switch is and it's not worth messing with.

First it didn't come on at all and now it comes on too much. I think it's messing with me.

Now the light is on dim when it's supposed to be off (still lights up bright in 4WD). I think my Pathy has a rule that everything can't work right at the same time.

my 300zx has that problem lol

I think my Pathy has a rule that everything can't work right at the same time.

And the tradition continues. Literally the first test drive after I sorted out my transmission problem my fuel and temp gauges stroked out. <sigh>