JL vs. JBL

Nytrosfinder

Which one do you think is better?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you think is better?

• JL
    • JBL
    • Another brand

With all the road noise I get it really doesn't matter to me, lol. I have a pieced-together sound system that sounds great even though the tweeters came out of a junkyard Taurus and the sub amp cost me $99 on Ebay nine years ago.

JBL sucks.. and JL is pretty good... not great.. but pretty good. Infinity and Kicker compitition are my fav's

JBL frickin sucks.

:rofl:

You do realize that JBL makes some of the best high end speakers available right?

:rofl:

You do realize that JBL makes some of the best high end speakers available right?

I did not realize that... I have had many JBL head units and subs over the years and they all fell apart quickly.... I still have the JL 12's I bought 5 years ago and they still sound good. I won't stand on a box and call you a liar though.. I have been out of the stereo game for 5 years now and am probably out of touch...... :my2cents:

JL makes great subs but their amps are not very reliable....

i have JBL components runnin off a 400x4 and they are loud as hell

i like both companies but for different things..

Boston G5 12" is the way to go if u had 2 of them and like 1500watt rms going to them then you would definantly have a bumping system! My one 10" audiobann Eternal with my alpine 1000 watt rms amp powering it is nuts inside my car.

I just have duals (best buy brand subs) with the blue lights inside my pathy and that cheap dual 550 watt amp or something and that pounds pretty damn good! its louder thena few off the people ik with 1500$ i spent like 300 total on that one. Spent about 500 on the one in my car. The amp was 300 of that though

Edited by edicer2

How does alpine and kenwood compare with some of the audio equipment?

Scale of 1-10:

10-JL

1-Blown Sub

come on man what audio equiment r u talking about? Cause the answer is gonna be different depending on if youre talking head units... components.... amplifiers.... subwoofers..... be specific

third time lucky... every time i've tried to reply to help you my systems crashed... so here goes!

my experience of Kenwood is such that I can't bring myself to use anything else now. I've tried others and i'm so impressed with Kenwood that I keep coming back to them. The only thing is... to get their top sound you have to pay for it.

ignore paper specs when it comes to Kenwood gear. If you go by paper specs you'll think £30 Sony kit will sound better than £120 speakers from Kenwood.

Kenwood speakers tend to be more slim [which is good for our pathy's] when compared with other brands.

I've swapped from Infinity Kappa's [which have a great reputation] to Kenwood and still prefer the Kenwood but at the lower price scales you will get a bigger sound from other brands.

Kenwood's sound is not about largesse or the deepest bass. In my experience they seem to go for detail and clarity.

The system I'm using now is listed below. The amp I'm running on the front speakers is a bit of overkill but this is a legacy of having Infinity kit before switching to Kenwood entirely and because the rear kenwood speakers have their own active sub.

With my specific kit Ive found that the bass of the twin 6x9 subs balances brilliantly with the detail and lack of bass from the fronts and, I can contantly reset the rear subs using a controller for different genre of music i'm listening too. So I love it!

What you need to bear in mind with your set up is the type of music you enjoy listening to. Because I have a very eclectic taste [from Nina Simon, to Beyonce, to Kings of Leon, to Manu Chou] I've chosen my set up to be compromise for the variety I listen to. If say I listened only to the likes of Kanye West or say Snoop Dogg then i'd chose a completely different type of system that didn't need to pick up the instrumental side of the music I listen to as it's more about bass tone and rythem. So before you chose, give great consideration to what you listen to, what you want to listen to within your music and what you're currently not getting from your sound system at present.

A great starting point on the above is to take your music to a hifi store and listen to it on home hifi. Depending on the amp, wire, speaker set up, you'll hear things in your music you've not perhaps heard before. Once you've heard this you can transfer the experience to your car set up.

I hope this helps.

Harv.

My Kit:

Front: KFC-S502P

Rear:KFC-WDA69RC

Head Unit:KDC-W4041W

CD Changer: KDC-C469

Rear Sub: Pheonix Gold QX300.4

How does alpine and kenwood compare with some of the audio equipment?

Scale of 1-10:

10-JL

1-Blown Sub

Alpine type X's are serious shiznit, no lie. I had the Type R twelve dual voice coil handling 1500watts and that thing caused some rattles in my pathy. I now have 2 type S DVC 10's and they sound awesome too. I have had infinity, and I blew through them, same with kicker, kenwood, and JBL. I like my alpines, they sound nice, are affordable, and come with a decent warranty, and they actually stand behind them. But the type X will blow your glass out, where as the type R will blow your ears, and the type S is the more affordable. You can get the type S and R in either SVC or DVC, but the X I think is DVC. I cannot remember without checking the website. They sound good, even with a Kenwood 800 watt amp pushing them at 110 RMS. They make my eye balls rattle a little and I can feel and hear the bass nicely with the windows down going 60. There is my 2 cents.

I've got the infinity reference series 5x7s in my pathy, along with a basslink also made by infinity, which is basically a self powered sub. I'm running a Sony GTX-420U and it just sounds awesome. I listen to everything so I don't need a big boom boom system. But once and a while I like to crank up the bass :D

• 4 months later...
JBL frickin sucks.

I dont suppose you have heard a JBL MKII W12GTI?

________________________________________________________________________________________

Dont be fooled by people making blanket statements such as this regarding certain audio manufacturers.

There are just no cookie cutter answers when it comes to mobile audio. Keep in mind that manufacturers use different build houses over time so something that was awsome last year may suck this year because the build house changed. Also, the companies that you guys are discussing are all meant to appeal to the Mass market but there is an entirely different level of mobile audio which caters to the more well informed do it yourselfer. Such as...

Image Dynamics

PPI

Zed

Seas

Dayton

Elemental Designs

Zuki

Stereo Integrity

US Acoustics

Cadence

Just to name a few!

Edited by JohnMasters

ignore paper specs when it comes to Kenwood gear. If you go by paper specs you'll think £30 Sony kit will sound better than £120 speakers from Kenwood.

True that. Sony really went nuts wit the paper specs when the xplod line came out. I once had a "1000w" sony amp (a friend gave it to me) that could barely push a JL 10W0... it was probably more like 100w not 1000w

This is a contest ? Really ? We need a poll for this ?

JL Audio easily.

Gotham.

Fathom.

W7.

W6V2.

High end speakers like Focal, Wilson, Revel, Dali and Avalon will blow anything JBL makes out of the air.

(And, before everyone jumps on this, I own JL Audio subs, JL speakers and Focal speakers. Music is one of my hobbies. So, for once, I actually do know what I'm talking about.)

Edited by GoPathyGo

i can give you input on subs decks and amps. all my cars came with alpine speakers, so that I leave alone. I prefer kenwood decks, they're make a good solid deck at a very reasonable price. for subs I prefer(due to cost) rockford fosgate. not too pricey, but still a nice deep bass. that doesnt crackle.

I'm definitely no audio expert, but I dropped Polk audio speakers (left stock tweeters in place) into the stock system on my 95. The range and quality of sound is really good in my opinion. I was pleasantly surprised. I get in other peoples cars who have higher end systems and often it is over bassy or tinny. Of course, that could be just the way they have it adjusted.

:02:

JBL...all the way...but they need a truck to sound good.Like if I put them in my junker C-vic in the back deck they would be the best speakers I have ever bought.But in a small car like my camaro they dont sound as good because theres not any acoustics for the bass.But a nice speaker box will fix this.

Basiclly I'm saying you need space between the speaker the metal for them to sound good.

But I'm basis and say get JBL and fook any other brand...bose,alpine,sony...

I love my JBL's, they sound awesome and pound hard, but they're almost pooched now but have lasted for almost 6 yrs

tim to replace em eventually, prolly with more JBL's....

I'm surprised this poll doesn't involve kicker...since everybody loves kicker....