How is the situation in your community

Ramon

Here in Tijuana Mexico we have everything stopped schools hotels restaurants cinemas and much other public sites because the swine flue, the goverment of US and Mexico almost decide to close the border line in this city to prevent epidemic propagation

even if the locals authorities announce that there is not yet a swine flue case in this state we have to take care and follow the directions from government

wash frequently hands with soap

avoid public sites (not websites LOL)

avoid hand or kiss hello

use your elbow to sneeze

avoid sudden temperature changes

use mouth covers in public sites and transports

I am not totally convinced about this is real or not emergency the new said there are aroud 140 people deceased in Mexico because the flue but no reports about have been made (where when how hospital name ETC)

ell how is the situation in your country or community?

are you worry?

do you know who is behind this?

A popular joke here is We recently receive the visit from USA president and when he return to America the epidemic started Weird uh? LOL

I'm completely unconcerned. It is just like the SARS scare and the Asian bird flu syndrome. More fear mongering than anything.

Most the people that died are younger, older, in poor health or lacking suitable medical attention. Not to say this isn't harming/killing people, but it's not what they are making it seem like. In the time that those 150 people contracted and died of the flu, I bet you 1,500 people died in car accidents. Should we all avoid cars then?

Sure, a good plague could cut the planet population down quite a bit (not that I think that is a bad thing) but I doubt this is it.

B

Here in Tijuana Mexico we have everything stopped schools hotels restaurants cinemas and much other public sites because the swine flue, the goverment of US and Mexico almost decide to close the border line in this city to prevent epidemic propagation

even if the locals authorities announce that there is not yet a swine flue case in this state we have to take care and follow the directions from government

wash frequently hands with soap

avoid public sites (not websites LOL)

avoid hand or kiss hello

use your elbow to sneeze

avoid sudden temperature changes

use mouth covers in public sites and transports

I am not totally convinced about this is real or not emergency the new said there are aroud 140 people deceased in Mexico because the flue but no reports about have been made (where when how hospital name ETC)

ell how is the situation in your country or community?

are you worry?

do you know who is behind this?

A popular joke here is We recently receive the visit from USA president and when he return to America the epidemic started Weird uh? LOL

...might be nobody behind this... although, it gives a good hint of how easy viruses spread... yes, surprisingly, the next day Air Force One was flying over New York... that was clumsy, not to advise anyone about this exercise... maybe they are testing our resistance to stress, to viruses...

Not really worried about it...If I get sick or any congestion from allergies, I have to go to the doctor anyways b/c of my respiratory problems.

My buddy got sick over the weekend and last night he calls me up and goes man I think I got the swine flu and I was like oh yea and he follows up with yea...I saw some pictures of the pig I kissed at the bar Friday night...I laughed pretty hard at that.

I saw where China is using infared camera's to scan for people with fevers to quarantine upon further evaluation...let me tell you if I was sick and had to fly and they quarantined me and I missed my flight and there was no reimbursement I'd be a little ticked off...soon enough everyone will have they're own personal oxygen bottle or bubbles to go out in public

not sure what all this hand washing is about b/c its transmitted via breathing for the most part and most people i saw with masks on were dust masks which I woudl think a virus could go throuhg and if you werent wearing a full out respirator that seals itself to the face I think the masks are pretty useless...besides if i get sick and die then I guess that's my time to go

Man, apparently I've really missed something. I have no idea what is going on with this swine flu or what it's doing or anything. Yesterday I got an email from my college with about the same tips that Ramon posted and I had no clue what it was going on about.

Edit: Did some limited research. It sounds like Precise said; people working themselves up into an irrational fear. If you're in a high risk group, you should probably be following all of the safety tips anyways. If you aren't, you shouldn't be preoccupied with it. It might be a nasty flu, but there's always something to be afraid of, medical or otherwise. If you get overly worked up about all those dangers, you'll just spend your entire life in fear of something that will most likely never affect you.

Edited by HankG

...one thing for sure...the company that produces TAMIFLU is clapping its hands !! ... far better than GM and Chrysler

Edited by Pinip

Apparently the number of cases in the USA went from 40 cases yesterday to 64 cases today. Thats a quite a dramatic increase percentage wise.

Also In Mexico, the virus appears to be targeting those aged 20 to 40. This is not unusual – the same occurred during the worst pandemic of the last century, in 1918, when 20 to 40 million people died. Young healthy people with strong immune systems react most powerfully to the virus but the very strength of their reaction produces inflammation and secretions in the lungs which can be overwhelming. In the US, the virus appears to be targeting children who are suffering only mild illness. The difference in the two countries is so far unexplained. One hypothesis is that a second virus may be circulating in Mexico which is interacting with the swine flu virus to produce more severe symptoms.

No, no one should be panicing at this point, but there is a very real risk and people should be taking precautions.

Apparently the number of cases in the USA went from 40 cases yesterday to 64 cases today. Thats a quite a dramatic increase percentage wise.

Also In Mexico, the virus appears to be targeting those aged 20 to 40. This is not unusual – the same occurred during the worst pandemic of the last century, in 1918, when 20 to 40 million people died. Young healthy people with strong immune systems react most powerfully to the virus but the very strength of their reaction produces inflammation and secretions in the lungs which can be overwhelming. In the US, the virus appears to be targeting children who are suffering only mild illness. The difference in the two countries is so far unexplained. One hypothesis is that a second virus may be circulating in Mexico which is interacting with the swine flu virus to produce more severe symptoms.

No, no one should be panicing at this point, but there is a very real risk and people should be taking precautions.

A/H 1N1 is composed of a combination of 4 different viruses issued of 3 different species : porcine (2 viruses), aviaire and human... ( i am just translating the info i read from french article )...and it seems that the genetic origin of those viruses is constitued of 8 different segments, that can be mixed and interchanged as a deck of cards which then can be formed into multiple combination...

Edited by Pinip

Washing hands is good but too much and the virus mutates...

Not so much; certain bacteria can mutate and become immune to anti-biotics, but with a virus the bacterium are usually not so "weak" (why they don't give anti-biotics for the cold or flu, they don't work). The main problem with over washing and over use of anti-bacterial soap and lotion is that it kills the good bacteria with the bad, and can quite possibly make your immune system weaker. To put an automotive spin on it, it's like sanding a bad spot out of your paint job, yeah, you eliminated the bad spot, but now you have bare metal that will rust. The scare with this "Swine" flu is that it is actually a mutation, it appears to be a combination of swine, bird and human (viral menage a trios).

My first thought when I heard about this on Saturday, was The Stand.

Swine Flu, Bird Flu, AIDS, HIV... man... people need to stop having sex with animals for fskcs sake...

... heu... sex with animals ?? if it was the case, it would have been it for ages... maybe another cause would be more logical...not to say few other causes !!

Edited by Pinip

My thoughts exactly...

...if you were to reasonably think it was the case... what kind of diagnostic you give to these ones ?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/index.html :clickdalink:

... it would mean, a lot of people have strange sex behavior...?

that gets me going !!! Every time there is a new sickness, right away we blame the victims behavior... every time in all human history, it has been the case repeatedly

...40 years ago, i was obviously young...when we started to hear about that new sickness called cancer... people were starting to hear stories about cancer...and those victims were set aside, because people were scared... so maybe we should think that there are many other causes to these pandemies... industries, agriculture, food processing, there is so much at risk than that simplist ''sex with animals '' theory...

...and yes a 1/3 of this world, the richest, is trying to runaway ( not to say :to get rid off ) from the 2/3 of the rest of the world (the poorest)...the rat race has begun...

Edited by Pinip

6 kids in a school 50 miles north of me got it (i am in nor-cal)... and i work in a very public job...... and not-so-savory people come in sometimes........ but i am not overly worried about it

Swine Flu, Bird Flu, AIDS, HIV... man... people need to stop having sex with animals for fskcs sake...

i hear something about it from AIDS in some war a soldier had sex with ducks or something and get the AIDS

...if you were to reasonably think it was the case... what kind of diagnostic you give to these ones ?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/index.html :clickdalink:

... it would mean, a lot of people have strange sex behavior...?

may be not the sex in these days but the evolution of viruses created during that sex-with-animals time

may be not the sex in these days but the evolution of viruses created during that sex-with-animals time

...Information...never killed anyone...here is some , in spanish

http://www.cdc.gov/spanish/ :clickdalink:

http://www.cdc.gov/ :clickdalink: and in english

...across the planet ...

Edited by Pinip

its crazy...everyone (not everyone but most everyone) is germophoic...(now the next time everyone meets me they're not gonna wanna shake hands) but I rarely wash my hands and when I do its usually with gojo b/c i'm covered in grease...i'm rarely sick nad my immune system is pretty tough...when i get sick i get SICK and usually its a stomach virus...If i'm dirty and i'm hungry and the food is there damn washing hands just eat...i've left grease on my sandwiches and ate it...my philosophy is live life b/c you only get one and if you're scared of every little thing there is then you cant enjoy it...my manager freaks out about "metal dust" and me not wearing a mask when working composites b/c i'm gonna get cancer...well something is gonna kill me whether its that guy crossing the center line or me getting cancer...the fact is we're all gonna die its just a matter of when the how is in the details b/c when the time comes its there...

i remember drinking water at football out of the "trough" (pvc with spouts) that the last 4 were clogged with mildew and algae...but in 100deg with 95% humidity none of us were worried about getting sick...people survived how many years without meds...the only meds i will take are goody's headache powder for a hangover and the pills they give me when i get my chronic respiratory infections b/c if not they'll try to put me in the hospital and they found out right quick like that that isnt going to happen even if i cant breathe (they gave me a $1000 beathing treatment on site b/c i refused to go to the hospital when they thought i had walking pnemonia again)

its crazy...everyone (not everyone but most everyone) is germophoic...(now the next time everyone meets me they're not gonna wanna shake hands) but I rarely wash my hands and when I do its usually with gojo b/c i'm covered in grease...i'm rarely sick nad my immune system is pretty tough...when i get sick i get SICK and usually its a stomach virus...If i'm dirty and i'm hungry and the food is there damn washing hands just eat...i've left grease on my sandwiches and ate it...my philosophy is live life b/c you only get one and if you're scared of every little thing there is then you cant enjoy it...my manager freaks out about "metal dust" and me not wearing a mask when working composites b/c i'm gonna get cancer...well something is gonna kill me whether its that guy crossing the center line or me getting cancer...the fact is we're all gonna die its just a matter of when the how is in the details b/c when the time comes its there...

i remember drinking water at football out of the "trough" (pvc with spouts) that the last 4 were clogged with mildew and algae...but in 100deg with 95% humidity none of us were worried about getting sick...people survived how many years without meds...the only meds i will take are goody's headache powder for a hangover and the pills they give me when i get my chronic respiratory infections b/c if not they'll try to put me in the hospital and they found out right quick like that that isnt going to happen even if i cant breathe (they gave me a $1000 beathing treatment on site b/c i refused to go to the hospital when they thought i had walking pnemonia again)

Sure, we all die sometime, but would you rather go now or later? And how would you like to go, many diseases can take quite a while to kill you and can be extremely painful and draining. Not my ideal way of spending my last days/months/years alive.

No, you shouldn't be scared of every living thing, but there is some common sense that people should stay away from things that harm them. Example; want to decrease your chances of lung cancer?....dont smoke etc. Personally I would rather not eat grease...even if it doesnt harm me, I'm pretty sure food tastes better without it.

At the same time not getting sick at all can prevent a person from developing antibodies so when they eventually do get sick it is much more potent.

Yes humanity survived without meds. Length of life was much shorter however, diseases more common, infant mortality much higher etc etc. Not to mention before personal hygene became more popular dysentry and typhus were very common. Here in the USA and in Europe where health care is relatively good people live to thier 70's or longer, where as in modern day Africa for example, life expectancy is 30-40 in some areas. Sure you dont want those meds around?

My first thought when I heard about this on Saturday, was The Stand.

LOVE that book.

It's in the news here. Sister in law works at the hospital here, and has forward a couple email alerts about it.

So... does that mean no more bacon?