Map Light installation

unccpathfinder

Alright...I saw a write up sometime ago on installing the maplight and how you can buy the brkt and all of that b/c the front cross support on the 95 has reliefs formed into the sheetmetal which the 87 didnt have. I had the bracket from the 95 so I knew what my options were...cut and install....Right now I do not have the headliner in b/c the headliner I have is with the sunroof...which I will probably attempt to install within the next 6 months but it is kinda low on the priority list right now. That being said with the light installed I have about the thickness of the headliner between it and the roof so I think this will work out just fine.

First this is what the 87 looks like:

DSCN3191.jpg

this is what the 95 looks like:

DSCN2806.jpg

The these pieces could be removed and swapped but they put this nice adhesive between it and the roof that i didnt even want to mess with b/c I've tangoed with it before when i stripped that 94 and its just nasty

so I positioned the bracket and centered it with my eyes so if its not perfect thats why...marked the holes hit them with a punch, drilled them and installed temp screws:

I then marked out the approximate cut knowing I would have to go a little wider than my marks:

DSCN3192.jpg

Dremiled out the sheetmetal:

DSCN3194.jpg

test fit light and trimmed some more then reinstalled brkt and mirror:

DSCN3195.jpg

routed the wires and put in fasteners i pulled from the 95 and she's good to go:

DSCN3196.jpg

This took me about an hour to complete from start to finish which included routing the wires that I forgot to route for the lighted sun visors and the map light...I had to pull the connector apart to route it down behind the dash then pull the lower dash out to reassemble the connector and connect it to its mating connector...not too bad for tonight considering it got cold out so I had to roll the truck back in my tiny garage.

One thing I may go back and do is drill a hole in the center right above the mirror mount and put a grommet on it and route the wire down through that hole but we'll see

that'd be sweet...the funny thing is I rarely use them...but usually people in my car/truck will use them...I eventually want to build an overhead console for lights, radios and whatever...but if I put the sunroof in then that goes away

That explains why mine was such a pain to install and get fitted half way decent, at first I thought maybe it was from another truck (it was just laying in it when I found it)

Now I will have to look for another truck equipped with one so I can get the bracket :aok:

Now I will have to look for another truck equipped with one so I can get the bracket

I think you could make it work without the bracket if you're careful with the trims...if you make it just right the clips should clip right to the sheetmetal but the only issue I see with that maybe the headliner b.c it wont leave enough gap but I guess you could trim the headliner to clear the light but don't take my word for that

Good write up!

Thanks

I think you could make it work without the bracket if you're careful with the trims...if you make it just right the clips should clip right to the sheetmetal but the only issue I see with that maybe the headliner b.c it wont leave enough gap but I guess you could trim the headliner to clear the light but don't take my word for that

Yeah I made it work, it just don't look as factory as I would like it too :aok:

no clue...its just the OEM bracket I took off of my 95...there is a post somewhere though that you can buy the brkt...maybe whoever I sold my other maplight to will chime in since I forget (i think nissannut has a writeup on where to get the brkt)

sorry im not much help on that

yea that brkt is off of a sunroofed pathy so it should work with the non and if i later install the sunroof i'll make sure I position it far enough back if the stock location will cause interferanc but I don't think it would even in the stock location

I was talking about my overhead console going away with a sunroof...but yea...I've got a decent idea of how to install the factory sunroof...it will involve cutting out one and trimming it nice and even bolting in supports then riveting the sunroof in and giving it more of a rugged look (in aircraft industry now so rivets look cool heh...but we'll see

• 1 month later...

just installed mine last night(needed some accomplishment as i was stalled doing the head gasket change). It fits just fine with the sunroof in the stock location, probably about 2-3" of space between the bracket and the sunroof.

hmm forgot to post... removed mine Sunday, cut the brace and installed the bracket. Everything fits as it should now and although you "can" do it without the brace I fully recommend installing the brace the proper way. The main reason is because it positions the light fixture correctly and the overhang at the rear keeps the headliner snug against the fixture so there is little gap there. Which was the problem I had without the brace.

On the original I ended up cutting the back of the lights buckets? (for lack of a better description) and trimming them down. Then I bonded it back together. Although it worked and everyone said "I can't see anything wrong with it" I was never happy with it.

This is much better now :aok:

• 1 year later...

Finally I found this thread!!

I'm in the process of doing the same thing myself and have already stripped the headliner out. I couldn't figure that bracket out but now I got it. Thanks!!

do you have a PN for the bracket? the only PN i can find is for the bracket for non-sunroof equipped trucks.

I think only the non-sunroof equipped trucks had map lights. You can safely buy that part as the sunroof has nothing to do with this. It just had to do with the fabric headliner, which you can cut up.

I think only the non-sunroof equipped trucks had map lights. You can safely buy that part as the sunroof has nothing to do with this. It just had to do with the fabric headliner, which you can cut up.

Both my 93 and other 95 have sunroofs and maplights.

I just checked, the sunroof bracket, if it exists, must be different. The one I picked up was for a non-sunroof model and it doesn't clear the sunroof drain by just a few millimeters. I will put up a picture in a bit. Time to get the grinder out!