Pro Comp Tires

EmptyV

i don't think he is looking for a mud tire.

emptyv, i am using BFG AT's over the winter months and i am pretty happy with those tires too. I was also impressed with the Bridgestone Dueler AT's that Pezzy uses on her R50. I haven't had any experience with the pro comp AT tires, and it's rare that i ever drive on sand so i can't really help you out. Maybe Fueler can recommend some good AT tire for you. he lives around your area and goes out in the desert to wheel.

I don't think you would be disappointed with BFG AT or the Dueler AT's

If you want solid A/T tires that wear well, my recommendation is the Toyo Open Country. It's honestly an excellent tire. :happy:

I don't get it?

His random comments amuse me. :lol:

Thanks for all the info everyone. I used to have 31/10.5/15 BFG A/T's on my old exploder and they went about 75,000 miles. After going to a few different tire shops they all seem to recommend different brands mostly knock offs of the BFG A/T's. I think I'll end up going with the BFG's after all. the ProComps seem like much more aggressive tires but also sound a lot less reliable. As I stated in the first post this will be for mostly highway driving with the occasional trip down to Baja, I really wish I had a 4X4, thanks Nissan for making it an option, lame.

Billy

I don't get it?

you don't even know what you know. you swear against BFG ATs but then you support them by saying there's nothing wrong with old technology and that your dad put them on his F150. pick a story and stick to it. either you like them or you don't.

all we can deduce from your post is that the BFG AT is an old, antiquated tire best left for pavement pounding. when you really want to go off road, get an MT (even if you don't do mud).

I had a Pro Comp MT blow-out on me going 65 mph on the interstate with only about 20K on them. The tread ripped off by itself & then the tire blew.

I'm pretty sure pro-comp just got done with a very large lawsuit having to do with instances like that.

I had a Pro Comp MT blow-out on me going 65 mph on the interstate with only about 20K on them. The tread ripped off by itself & then the tire blew. It tore-up my front bumper & ripped off my sideview mirror (I also drove on the completely flat tire for like 3 or 4 miles until I could get to a decent neighborhood to change it-toughest rims I've ever seen)Company said that "they were have some trouble with the MT's & Xtreme Allterrains," yeah I'd say so.

Heres the link to the write-up on it

I remember reading that on NICO. I didn't know it was a pro comp F that noise.

So when going from 245/70R16 to a 265/75R16 does the speedometer need to be re calibrated? Should the Axles be re-geared? What exactly need to be done to get the most out of the vehicle without dropping a ton of cash?

Billy

Edited by EmptyV

concerning the BFG ATs i wouldnt leave them for the street. Whoever said they are getting old and outdated is true, i work at discount tire and i swear every bfg we spin on the balancer has a lot of tire movement when brand new. If you were just going into rocks and nothing muddy and sloppy id run them offroad. I run some 35x12.50R20s cooper discover STTs on my titan and they're great tires. The new KM2 is also a great tire, pretty soft compound and ive put about 12k miles on my 33x12.50R15s. Also the new wrangler MTR w/kevlar is a sick tire, way quiet. those who have run toyo mts and regular MTRs these new MTRs w/ kevlar are between those two tires as far as noise goes. They're great offroad too and clean very good, as do the STTs and KM2s. Just some input from me.

Hey Alex, what is your opinion on the Terra Grapplers, the Kumho SAT (their new A/T) and the Wrangler Duratrac? I will be needing new tires for my X rims this summer and want to see if any of the new tires are any good...

Hey Alex, what is your opinion on the Terra Grapplers, the Kumho SAT (their new A/T) and the Wrangler Duratrac? I will be needing new tires for my X rims this summer and want to see if any of the new tires are any good...

I know you're asking the other alex, but I'll answer anyway. :D

my buddies all have terra grapplers on their pickup trucks and they're worthless off road. check out my youtube channel for a comparison of my pathy on highway-oriented ATs, against two trucks on new and new-ish Nitto terra grapplers.

you don't even know what you know. you swear against BFG ATs but then you support them by saying there's nothing wrong with old technology and that your dad put them on his F150. pick a story and stick to it. either you like them or you don't.

all we can deduce from your post is that the BFG AT is an old, antiquated tire best left for pavement pounding. when you really want to go off road, get an MT (even if you don't do mud).

I PERSONALLY don't like them.

Other people do, like my dad.

concerning the BFG ATs i wouldnt leave them for the street. Whoever said they are getting old and outdated is true, i work at discount tire and i swear every bfg we spin on the balancer has a lot of tire movement when brand new. If you were just going into rocks and nothing muddy and sloppy id run them offroad. I run some 35x12.50R20s cooper discover STTs on my titan and they're great tires. The new KM2 is also a great tire, pretty soft compound and ive put about 12k miles on my 33x12.50R15s. Also the new wrangler MTR w/kevlar is a sick tire, way quiet. those who have run toyo mts and regular MTRs these new MTRs w/ kevlar are between those two tires as far as noise goes. They're great offroad too and clean very good, as do the STTs and KM2s. Just some input from me.

I have agree with you here. My gf's brother runs 33x12.5R15 MT-R's on his Samurai and loves 'em on and off the pavement; his friend runs the 33x12.5R15 STT's and has nothing but good to say about those. My buddy has 35x12.5R20 Toyo M/T's on his Tundra and he's enjoying the hell out of those, too. He keeps telling me to just switch to those from the A/T. :lol:

Those are three solid options. :aok:

My buddy's dad put some Toyo MTs on his F350 long bed crew cab, and he loves them to death. They've taken him through whatever he's needed to, and living up in Carson in the boonies that's what counts.

I know the OP is interested in A/T tires, but I have the Pro Comp MT tires and I wouldn't buy them again. They are great off-road but on-road they suck. My previous tires were Goodyear Wrangler MTR's and they are WAY better! The MTR's worked great on-road and off. The Pro Comps just seem "cheap" overall....

• 3 months later...

Have run 2 sets of BFG ATs - one set on a lifted Trooper and one on a Titan. Good tires for dry conditions offroad, fire road trails, and they hook up well on slickrock type trails. Have used them on construction sites for years with few issues, but they can get overwhelmed in thick mud, since they don't clean as well as an MT. Good tread life. It all depends on how you use your truck and the kind of terrain you run. If you ride muddy trails, then you need an MT.

There are some good reviews out on the Goodyear Duratrac. Looks to be an aggressive AT. Has and AT type tread through the middle of the tire with some wider spaced shoulder knobs to bite better in the mud. Supposed to be pretty quiet on road but still give good traction offroad. A tire like the Duratrac might be a good compromise.

http://www.discounttire.com/video/DuraTrac...ureBenefit.html

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/goo...26&pc=31921

Will probably be my next tire. Want to try to buy US made when possible. Keeping in mind that we own 2 Nissans - and not giving those up!

These Dunlops look good too....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...T+Maxx+Traction

Edited by sthrnfat

What country are the pro-comp tires made in?

I bought pro-comp rims and they came straight from China!!

Edited by FUELER

i was also personally looking at the pro comp xtreme all terrain, but after i talked to a friend who had them, i decided not to go with them anymore. he basically said its a good tire, however there are better tires out there for the money.

i was looking at the mickey thompson baja ATZ's and the dick cepek radial FC-II's. does anyone have experience with these?

Found a new Nitto tire that's just been released. Supposed to be a blend of the best of their mud tire and their AT tire.

They call it a 'Trail' MT - Looks like the blocks are spaced a little closer together than a typical MT tire, but still aggressive.

http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Etrailgrappler

Edited by sthrnfat

i have the extreme all terains good tire's the radial all terains suck don't buy em get the extreme all terain you won't be dissappointed.

How many miles do you have on them? I've heard from a few that they don't last very long.

Billy

Run 31x12.50 Pro Comp Xterrains & 33x12.50 BFG All Terrains on My Ex. Both have been good tires. Little concerned about the Pro Comp blowout issue. Anyone have more info? Will do some searching. I was originally told the Pro Comp's were made by Cooper.