Power wire

g204life

I have a couple questions about setting up my system. First off, does anyone have any suggestions on the best place to run your power wire through the fire wall. (Battery on the passenger side). Second has anyone made there own box for the rear. It just takes up so much dam space. If so any pictures? Thank you in advance!!!

Auto or manual tranny? If auto, you can use the grommet on the driver's side where the clutch pedal would typically mount to the slave cylinder. That's where I've run mine, along with the wires for my inverter.

I’m not to sure I want to run my wire all the way across the to the other side of the motor. One of the reason why (for me at least) I like a solid power line. I bought a standard amp kit, and the power wire isn’t near close to being long enough... And I don’t want to waste money buying everything separate.

Mine is running through a hole somewhere on the passenger side, im not sure where and right now im about 600 miles from my truck so i cant take pics lol. What kind of subs are you putting in? is your spare mounted inside or out? I have the inside mounted spare which cramped me even more for space, but i know for a fact that the MTX Road Thunder duel 12"s(mine were stolen :() and Rockford Fosgate Duel 10"(my current set) in the ported box fit quite snug back there. When i bought the truck it had a custom built box in it, w/ duel Sony 12"s but again they were stolen(i got to move lol). As soon as i get home i'll try and get you some pics up of my wireing though.

Edited by purdyboy89

Well, it would be another long run; but you could run it along the frame and come through the rubber grommit in the body by the tail light (on the inside of the fender behind the gas filler), or one of the ones under the rear seats (pull the padding up under the seat and you'll see them), they are solid, but you can cut a hole in them to feed the wire through. I'm sure there would be a couple under the front seats also, but I can't remember.

Edited by GrimGreg

Under the passenger side dash, where the passangers feet would be, on the firewall,

pull back the top of the carpet just a little and there is a rubber plug in the firewall.

pull the plug out and you now have a passage way through the firewall. Its a small plug for a small hole, maybe 1/4"

Mine is running through a hole somewhere on the passenger side, im not sure where and right now im about 600 miles from my truck so i cant take pics lol. What kind of subs are you putting in? is your spare mounted inside or out? I have the inside mounted spare which cramped me even more for space, but i know for a fact that the MTX Road Thunder duel 12"s(mine were stolen :() and Rockford Fosgate Duel 10"(my current set) in the ported box fit quite snug back there. When i bought the truck it had a custom built box in it, w/ duel Sony 12"s but again they were stolen(i got to move lol). As soon as i get home i'll try and get you some pics up of my wireing though.

I'm running an alpine Kapa Perfect 12" sub, and all alpine Kapa perfects components all around. My mount is on the outside but I do allot of camping. I plan on eventually building a custom box along the passenger side. For now I have just a standard Best Buy box. I plan on stripping the interior tonight and get started. I guess my down fall is I'm a perfectionist. Every wire has to be perfect as well as look nice.

mine is a manual and there was a plate that was undrilled so I drilled it and put a grommet in there and slilconed it up for my amp wire and ran it over to the driver side pillar and ran it with the main harness bundle and tie banded it off and took out the spare tire and mounted the amp there and got a full size spare to throw in there...(but yours probably has a tire rack so you dont even have to worry about that...

Does anyone have any pictures or links to custom boxes.

Just google that, i have a few documents w/ all the formulas and such to figure out what size you should make your box, ports, etc.

just PM me w/ your addy and i'll be happy to send them to you

and this might help also DIY Subwoofers

Edited by purdyboy89

If you bought an amp kit..its probably not quality...thats what i did at first and regreted it big time down the road.....Make your own harness for it...make sure your fused(use eth same size fuse that is on the amp and a pretty heavy gauge wire)..and on a switch(40amp+)...

Run you power line through the drivers side of the fire wall and under the carpet.

I would take pics but I cant get any of mine to post on here.

trust me when it comes to wiring in you system...mines pretty dirty and i have alot of exp. doing it.

Am I the only person on here that is happy with 4 speakers and a cd player? Anyway, I don't think the frame idea to be too good, running direct power through a big grouded piece of steel which is exposed to all elements(especially if your goeing to leave the pavement, I would think it to be something else to get ripped off). I would go with Simon's idea though, suck it up and buy a long enough cable and run it along the inside of the fender then across the firewall, through the said hole(would use some silicone as well) and back to your amp.

I’m not to sure I want to run my wire all the way across the to the other side of the motor. One of the reason why (for me at least) I like a solid power line. I bought a standard amp kit, and the power wire isn’t near close to being long enough... And I don’t want to waste money buying everything separate.

"Standard amp kit" = some kids in a factory threw some stuff off the shelf into a package. What is standard? You're most likely spending more for the kit than you would buying good wire and the correct connectors and parts for your particular install. Run down to a decent stereo shop, and you can most likely buy good cable by the foot for FAR better pricing than at the megamart, especially when wiring an SUV. Most kits skimp, especially on power and ground cable, and I would personally err on the side of excess and go with larger wire. On the other side of things, I would argue that you should go with the smalled amperage fuse allowable by your equipment, and skip what the kit recommends. Maybe you spend an extra couple bucks, but its cheaper than frying a couple hundred $ amp or component. Just my 2cents.

Meanwhile... I ran all my stuff down the passenger side, signal (RCA and such) down the driver's side, then across. I ended up just drilling a new hole for all necessary wiring. You can buy some rubber grommetts for super cheap for protection. Its not rocket science, just look up high on the firewall where there's nothing in the way, and go into the cab to pull back the carpet to confirm. Drill a small pilot hole first, then go bigger, and you're on your way.

1000 watt Alpine to a DVC Rockford Fosgate 12", and a 500 watt RF amp to the rest of the interior speakers should get the job done, no? ;) Sub Box 69.0... errr... something like that, has the amps, wiring and a 1 farad Monster cap, all encased in open end of the box, away from poking, prodding, camping and trail gear, etc.

DSC00152.jpg

Am I the only person on here that is happy with 4 speakers and a cd player? Anyway, I don't think the frame idea to be too good, running direct power through a big grouded piece of steel which is exposed to all elements(especially if your goeing to leave the pavement, I would think it to be something else to get ripped off). I would go with Simon's idea though, suck it up and buy a long enough cable and run it along the inside of the fender then across the firewall, through the said hole(would use some silicone as well) and back to your amp.

If you are using a quality wire there should be no issues, ever crawl under your truck and see how many wires (little ones even) that are "exposed". Not like the floor board on the inside of the body isn't made of a big grounded piece of steel either right?

I ran a power wire that way, not for an amp, but for some accesories. I used a piece of 0 wire to go from the battery back along the frame, no troubles.

I do agree though, a sub and amp is a stupid waste of space.

RESULTS ARE IN!!!!

So after a very long two mother F-ing days of installing all my crap here what has came of it. I did buy the install kit from Best buy only because of the fact I got 75% off (my wife works at the corporate office). I did run my wire after all across the fire wall into the plate on the driver side. When all was said and don’t the kit left me about 3ft short. So now I have my power cap mounted on my back hump above the tires. Not cool. I used my jack mount for a ground, I just tool a dremal and cleaned the paint off. So after ALL OF THIS CRAP I have decided to start all over. I am going to take peoples advise and go buy my own 4 gage wire. (buy PLENTY extra so I will not be short again. LOL on a side note word to the wise!!!!! Never tell your wife it's only going to take you a couple hours to complete a task, then 2 days later you finish up and not even close to happy with the result!!!!