Synthetic oil filters for '93 pathie

westslope

I run a Mobil 1 filter with my Mobil 1 synthetic,

need to install my dual oil filter then I'll change every 7-8K

do 6K now and the oil isn't bad (wouldn't drink it but could go longer)

My Pathy is spoiled also...

Be lucky y'all ain't dun bees close to the 414's, weed be sendin' out a 911 on dat @ss foo's

Now drink yer milk and eat your Wheaties B4 we take over yo area code!

:stickwack:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a Mobil 1 filter with my Mobil 1 synthetic,

need to install my dual oil filter then I'll change every 7-8K

do 6K now and the oil isn't bad (wouldn't drink it but could go longer)

My Pathy is spoiled also...

Be lucky y'all ain't dun bees close to the 414's, weed be sendin' out a 911 on dat @ss foo's

Now drink yer milk and eat your Wheaties B4 we take over yo area code!

:stickwack:

Dude, I'm the most anal. I go 5k with Amsoil, use an Amsoil EaO filter which I change every oil change and use an Amsoil EaBP bypass filter that I change every other oil change. They are rated to 60K and I change it at 10.

Gentlemen: All your feedback is much appreciated.

A young and apparently knowledgeable mechanic who ultimately flushed the tranny and replaced the rear differential oil today argued in favouring of 1) using synth engine oil, 2) not worrying too much about the filter--he uses FRAMs and claims that they are all made to specs--and 3) changing the oil every 5,000 or 6,000km. That is how he looks after his own personal F-250 truck.

The oil was changed (Mobil 1 10W30 for high-mileage vehicles) and the NAPA Gold (Wix) filter installed today. I'll monitor levels and colour but if the oil gets black over 5,000km I'll probably switch it out earlier than later.

Never, ever use fram filters. I have killed one daily driven engine (filter end cap failure... made of CARDBOARD!) and one race engine (can burst at seam). worse filters ever made.

The oil was changed (Mobil 1 10W30 for high-mileage vehicles) and the NAPA Gold (Wix) filter installed today. I'll monitor levels and colour but if the oil gets black over 5,000km I'll probably switch it out earlier than later.

WIX makes decent/good filters. I would feel confident in your choice.

Didnt someone post a link to an independant filter comparison done by a mechanical engineer or something comparing some 40 different brands of filters a while back?

Sorry to but in guys.... I was always told dont run synthetic unless you have ran it from day one. We bought our Avalon and run Toyota's blend, I ran for a few changes in the Pathfinder and everyone said it was nuts..... So a couple questions???? Can I run synthetic (I have now 118k and some chang), if so what weight should I be running?

Well they call for 5w30. But I switched mine to synthetic at 125k and it is now just hit 150k and it's running great. I'm running mobil 1 5w50 supersyn. If you have any minor oil leaks now, I wouldn't switch. But fix the leaks!

Sorry to but in guys.... I was always told dont run synthetic unless you have ran it from day one. We bought our Avalon and run Toyota's blend, I ran for a few changes in the Pathfinder and everyone said it was nuts..... So a couple questions???? Can I run synthetic (I have now 118k and some chang), if so what weight should I be running?

I switched to synthetic oil at just under 100,000km. The engine does not leak a drop. I expect the '93 pathfinder engine will easily oulast the rest of the vehicle.

NOTE CAREFULLY: I'm a freemarket, capitalism-friendly economist and an unabashed wilderness lover/tree-hugger. Our household portfolio is heavily-weighted with oil and gas stocks. I switched to synthetic oil as part of an experiment, possibly an expensive experiment. I cannot vouch for the cost effectiveness of switching older vehicles to synthetic oil.

I suspect that switching is NOT cost-effective in most cases.

If you're a tree hugger why do you drive a pathfinder? If you were a true tree hugger, like my uncle, you would take the bus everywhere and bash everyone who drives an suv lol.

You'll notice your gas mileage will go up a bit.

SCHAEFFERS!!!!

Best oil ive ever used...

http://www.schaefferoil.com/

Infused with moly...makes it run coller and lasts longer...

They will test your oil after each oil change and give you a metal analysis (give you a little container designed to mail a sample of your oil back to them)....it has been dropping EVERY oil change...

Did I mention the test service is free if you buy from them?

The guys there are freakin cool. Gear heads just like...well most of us.

Check em out.

If you're a tree hugger why do you drive a pathfinder? If you were a true tree hugger, like my uncle, you would take the bus everywhere and bash everyone who drives an suv lol.

You'll notice your gas mileage will go up a bit.

Does your uncle travel the backcountry? Tell him that the USA should adopt Scandanavian-level fuel taxes and all will be well. hehe

Yes, I guess I'm unusual. I usually park the pathie at some point and self-propel into places that would scare the livin' daylights out of most motor-heads.

In town, we leave it parked -- a lot.

I'll add one more thing: Give the number of jerks in this neck of the woods who still let their vehicles idle for 5, 10 minutes or more, the price of fuel is still not expensive enough.

Here's one for you red-blooded, patriotic Americans. Care about National Security? Push your federal government to adopt Scandanavian-level fuel taxes. Who knows? Guys like me might make less money as the price of gas at the pump plummets.

---------------------------

P.S. If CA gov Arnie leaves his vanity-item hummers parked in the garage all the time, what is the harm? :itsallgood: Some 'tree-huggers' get all hung up in the feel-good symbolism.

Edited by westslope

No he doesn't, and we live in Canada lol. And to all the people who say pathies are big polluters, you should see my emission test results..... I don't feel bad about driving it all the time.

No he doesn't, and we live in Canada lol. And to all the people who say pathies are big polluters, you should see my emission test results..... I don't feel bad about driving it all the time.

Oops! I missed your location. One I know well as it is my home town. Our pathie always passes the mandatory Air Quality bi-annual test with flying colours. I baby it. Don't want the vehicle failing 20km from the nearest blacktop road.

To answer your original question more thoroughly..... I'd still be driving a front-wheel 1.6 litre 4-banger like our old Nissan Sentra mini-wagon if 1) I had not punched the right rear strut throught the uni-body a few years ago on a particularly bad road south of Kamloops, and 2) the average size of vehicle had not doubled in the late 1990s. Our pathfinder is still smaller than the average vehicle on the road out here!

Frankly, it is ridiculous the huge over-sized SUVs that big fat housewives use to drive their fat kids to school and to shop the malls.

Oops! I missed your location. One I know well as it is my home town. Our pathie always passes the mandatory Air Quality bi-annual test with flying colours. I baby it. Don't want the vehicle failing 20km from the nearest blacktop road.

To answer your original question more thoroughly..... I'd still be driving a front-wheel 1.6 litre 4-banger like our old Nissan Sentra mini-wagon if 1) I had not punched the right rear strut throught the uni-body a few years ago on a particularly bad road south of Kamloops, and 2) the average size of vehicle had not doubled in the late 1990s. Our pathfinder is still smaller than the average vehicle on the road out here!

Frankly, it is ridiculous the huge over-sized SUVs that big fat housewives use to drive their fat kids to school and to shop the malls.

Yup, our little trucks are just the right size, bigger than a rav4 or crv but smaller than a suburban and much better on gas. Also I can deak in and out of downtown ottawa traffic very well in my truck. It's even more fun cause I'm 18 and in college. Best college vehicle EVER. For ski trips and stuff.

If I do have to get a smaller car eventually, I will still keep my two pathfinders though, as I can't stand driving little cars, I have to be above people lol.

what did I see at the grocery store yesterday in the parking lot.....no joke...a big fat housewife, driving a FULL SIZE HUMMER.....she could barely park it....and what does she use it for? grocery shopping.

I guess it's the only thing with enough horsepower to haul her big butt around town to go shopping in. I felt like leaving a note on the drivers door window (if I could reach that high!) that just simply said.

"Hey lady...you're an idiot. Join a gym and get a more practical and energy efficient vehicle."

thats all people do with their HUMMERS here in Columbia SC, where the terrain is FLAT, and no places to put such a vehicle based on a military truck, to full use, other than to show up at the mall or grocery store in.....and if you're a guy in this city that owns a Hummer, it just shows how small your balls really are.

I'll take my 1990 pathfinder (even with no AC working!) over a Hummer, H2, or H3 anyday.

ps....some like to make them look really silly too by slapping huge bling-bling rims and razor blade sidewall height tires on them, and God forbid it ever gets a speck of dirt on it.

Hummers are neat, but pretty much a huge waste of money. Should have stayed in the military.

Tree huggers should be strung up by their necks in the damn trees. :D

Many plants and animals have lived and become extinct, what is unnatural is our attemt to keep that process from continuing. The earth can handle its self it doesn't need any interfearance...just look at Katrina, the California fires, Iowa floods..... hell tomorrow an asteroid could hit the earth and destroy all life think how worthless you'd feel then.

If I do have to get a smaller car eventually, I will still keep my two pathfinders though, as I can't stand driving little cars, I have to be above people lol.

You are indeed privileged for an 18-year old college student.

What I like about the pathie is the excellent view one gets of other drivers except of course those driving the monster trucks. It allows me to keep an eye out for folks talking on the cell, smoking tobacco, putting on make-up, writing notes and sometimes all of the above.

Even the RCMP seem to be distracted while driving half the time; RCMP officers do not observe many of the traffic laws, so no wonder, ordinary citizens behave in a similar manner.

P.S. When I last lived in Ottawa and worked at Statistics Canada, I bicycled the 4km to work and back all year long except during periods of freezing rain. But if you have a huge trust fund man, drive the pathie.

Edited by westslope

smoking tobacco

This implies bad driving? :blink:

But if you have a huge trust fund man, drive the pathie.

LOL, how does one need a trust fund to drive a Pathy?? They are getting pretty damn cheap, and what you spend for gas, you generally make up in reliability, especially if you do the repairs yourself. I'm not following you with this one... :shrug:

B

Smoking tobacco increases the risk of accidents. Private insurance companies frequently charge higher rates to smokers or at least they did in the past.

People who knock their ashes out the window are reducing their attention to the road. But the really risky behaviour that I look for are the individuals who smoke tobacco, talk on the cell at the same time, and/or put on make-up.

There are plenty of cheap 4-bangers in the used market that have much better fuel mileage. A pathfinder for a typical undergraduate student is a luxury. But if you have the money, why not!?!! Besides, student loans are really easy to walk away from.

Edited by westslope

You are indeed privileged for an 18-year old college student.

But if you have a huge trust fund man, drive the pathie.

Yeah I am lucky, but a lot of the people at the college I go to have suv's :shrug:

I will NEVER bike anywhere in the city, I don't trust people. I'd rather get hit in my truck than on a bike.

This implies bad driving? :blink:

LOL, how does one need a trust fund to drive a Pathy?? They are getting pretty damn cheap, and what you spend for gas, you generally make up in reliability, especially if you do the repairs yourself. I'm not following you with this one... :shrug:

B

Yeah, I haven't had any problems with my truck that have prevented me from driving it. And in the winter it's great cause I can take all the DEEP snow covered side streets to school instead of sitting in mass traffic on the queensway and woodroffe ave.

I wouldn't say I have the money, as my parents pay the insurance...cause if it was in my name it'd be over 6 grand a year! I pay for the gas and the mods/upgrades. Parents are paying for the repairs and parts if needed but I have to pay them back when school is done and I have a real job.

Edited by redfinder