110 MPG out of an 87 Mustang?

88pathoffroad

http://www.kmbc.com/automotive/16768626/detail.html

Wow. I'd like to see how he did that. Must be turboed and have cylinder shut-off tech set up or something. Perhaps it has a big-ass electric motor and a little generator engine? :D

Another link:

http://www.weatherplus.com/going-green-new...pg-by-perfe.php

"Traditional gas engines operate at 8 to 10 percent, efficiency, while the engine on the Mustang, he said, is at 38 percent efficiency." quote from the first article

anyone know why?

You throw most of your generated heat away. Want to increase efficientcy; burn the fuel at a lower temp, or harness the wasted heat for some other mechanical process?

like turn your engine into an oven?

lol, my friend always told me how the hispanics on the jobsites that he used to work on would heat their aluminum foil-wrapped burritos in the engine compartment. pretty smart, i guess.

and i guess gasoline engines were just meant to power electric generators :shrug:

like turn your engine into an oven?

lol, my friend always told me how the hispanics on the jobsites that he used to work on would heat their aluminum foil-wrapped burritos in the engine compartment. pretty smart, i guess.

I know two truck drivers who do that.

There are, or used to be products meant for that availible in offroad mags, and iirc there are also shower systems that use the exhaust manifold to heat water

Helped a friend make an exhaust water heater once. Just take a long piece of flexible coper and wrap the exhaust pipe with it, then pump your water through for a nice hot shower.

I used to reheat my leftover pizza on my engine when I was on a jobsite, saw burritos being done, but there is enough gas under the hood...

my friend always told me how the hispanics on the jobsites that he used to work on would heat their aluminum foil-wrapped burritos in the engine compartment.

Yep, old motorcyclist trick, wrap a hot dog in foil and put in in the head between the cams. Go for a ride, stop and eat...

What I don't understand about this article is why is he making noise now? Just because the gas price is higher? He's been working on it for 10 years. Why not patent it when he was getting 50mpg or 80mpg? That would still be insanely impressive!! It doesn't make sense to me... :shrug:

B

What I don't understand about this article is why is he making noise now? Just because the gas price is higher? He's been working on it for 10 years. Why not patent it when he was getting 50mpg or 80mpg? That would still be insanely impressive!! It doesn't make sense to me...

B

My thoughts as well, something's fishy there. No, not the burrito :D

It's doable, depending on what you're willing to give up and pay for.

Eliminate weight, eliminate parasitic losses, drive like a 90 year old grandmother on Prozac and Valium...

http://www.kmbc.com/automotive/16768626/detail.html

Wow. I'd like to see how he did that. Must be turboed and have cylinder shut-off tech set up or something. Perhaps it has a big-ass electric motor and a little generator engine? :D

Another link:

http://www.weatherplus.com/going-green-new...pg-by-perfe.php

You're in Physics or Engineering? Try to take a Thermodynamics 1 and 2 class...you will learn all about the efficiencies of powerplants (or at least we did) my professor had worked on jet propulsion engines and had actually built a 500HP engine that would get something like 40 mpg and I think his was only like 30% efficient but that efficient with that much power is pretty much unheard of especially for a carbed naturally aspirated gas engine (otto cycle)

I finally took the time to watch the video clip.

That car, as pictured, in a configuration to be capable of producing 400 hp, is NEVER, EVER going to be capable of achieving 110 mpg in anything even slightly close to real world conditions. Especially on E85. The laws of physics (as they apply to our planet, anyways) just won't let it happen.

To achieve 400 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque, it needs to be a big engine (at least 4 liters) or an insanely boosted small engine.

Even at 38% efficiency (theoretically possible, but I am dubious), a car with the weight, aerodynamics, rolling resistance, and parasitic frictional losses of an '87 Mustang is going to be hard pressed to exceed 60 mpg in closely controlled artificial conditions. And in real world driving, 40 will be a real challenge.

Maybe with ultra skinny, 100 psi tires on round test track at a continuous 20 mph in 5th gear. With the crankshaft and cam shaft cut off so only 2 cylinders were moving.

I suspect the 110 mpg figure was achieved using the latest moron trick (but only good for tricking the gullible, uneducated types - like reporters!): Have a battery pack and electric motor propelling the car in a total loss scenario while the engine idles. It's not sustainable as once the batteries are dead, the car engine has to power things and fuel economy is back to 25. Just running off chemical stored energy in batteries instead of gasoline. But for 10 miles, you're getting 110 mpg!