$4+ a gallon - what's your personal solution

Mr. Pickles

SHEIT, make it a mellow 125cc at least!!

I believe you are talking about the Zuma which Yamaha will be making a 125cc Zuma for 2009. I can't wait!!!

Anyways, as far as gas goes. I am just sucking it up. I still need to go to school and work so I still need to pay whatever prices they are charging, as much as that sucks. At least when it is nice I do try to ride my bicycle to work. Too far to ride it to school.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to point out, that there isn't a country in the world that pays more per gallon than the US. The amount of blood and tax money we've spent the last 60 years on our (and yours incidentally) "National Defense" and propping up third world dictators/regimes is fantastic. It's convenient to look at the price at the pump, but not completely accurate. Another example is diesel prices. Some speculate that diesel is being falsely inflated to subsidize the other fuels. Diesel costs much less to refine. Only a tiny amount of Americans use diesel for their commute, but commercial carriers do. Their transportation costs go up, and they pass it on to the customer (retailer). The retailer passes on the cost onto the retail customer. Then you get the inflation. We're not paying at the pump, we're paying EVERYWHERE else.

I'd like to know what we're each paying for every gallon/barrel of oil.

A very good point. Gas is not the only thing going up, everything is! The country is waist deep in a recession (i think) and it is only going to get worse before it gets better. I watched a news special and the forecast for 6 months-2 years is that crude oil will go up to around 200 dollars a barrel and hover there for awhile. Thus rising our gas prices to between 5.50-6.50 a gallon. Scary thought. We will see if it really happens I guess.

My solution...expense my gas to my company. I had to drive a total of 900 miles to get to work 3 days ago!! No I dont drive a big rig I drive a blue oval monster explorer. Nice thing is it is averaging around 21 mpg and I have alot more power than i did with my R50.

2002 Nissan Altima SE 5-speed, fast fun and 30 mpg on the highway

94 Honda ST1100, even faster and 49 mpg on the highway

1985 Toyota MR2, not so fast, but fast enough and loads of fun in the corners, 35 mpg highway

Tom

I rode the bus to work yesterday...turned a half hour commute into 2 hours but I got a @!*% ton of entertainment and watching ganglands on history paid off...

in the afternoon it only takes an hour to get home and its $4 for the day instead of 2 gallons of gas at $4+ a gallon...

No longer drive the Pathy except when wheeling....bought a commuter car....kept it Nissan (Sentra SER SPec-V) 30MPG freeway baby! Rated for 32MPG but only if driven really slow....which is not in my nature....push it really hard i get 28MPG. Works out great since i drive 80 miles a day (75 on the freeway). Pathy was only getting me 13-14 on the freeway since my drive is extremely hilly.

2658734_1_full.jpg

Edited by kmgar99

I believe you are talking about the Zuma which Yamaha will be making a 125cc Zuma for 2009.

Yeah, it's pretty cool for a scooter and with 125cc motor, that means you can keep up with traffic. 80+mpg is nothing to scoff at either. I doubt I'd drop $3k for one though...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...08/0/specs.aspx

B

I'd like to point out, that there isn't a country in the world that pays more per gallon than the US.

I don't follow???

Canadians are paying more at the pump than the US by quite a bit, as even though it is our oil, it goes to the states to be refined & sold back to us. Our government taxes the everloving crap out of it... Yesterday I paid 1.32/L - approx $5.80/Gal. Compare that to what people in the UK are paying, and we've got CHEAP GAS!!

CNN Money is reporting Western europe around $5.00 a gallon USD. They list VENEZUELA around $.14 a gallon USD! You get around 2,000 Venezuela Bolivares per 1 USD. So gas must be less than $500 Bolivar. Then again Venezuela produces a ton of their own gas and the government subsidizes a ton of it too.

yeah, if i had to buy a commuter car i'd want one of those too. but realistically speaking, i'd probably get a used civic or something. lol.

but the new sentra looks sick.

I hate the front end! It looks like they desinged everyhting but the front end, then slapped something together at the very last minute so it could go to production....But for less than $19K for 200HP and a full warranty for 100,000, i think it was a good deal.

I don't follow???

Canadians are paying more at the pump than the US by quite a bit, as even though it is our oil, it goes to the states to be refined & sold back to us. Our government taxes the everloving crap out of it... Yesterday I paid 1.32/L - approx $5.80/Gal. Compare that to what people in the UK are paying, and we've got CHEAP GAS!!

Hmmm. At the pump, yes, your paying more. In fact, last i knew, Denmark was paying more at the pump than anyone else ($7us/gal and they don't care, they're nearly carbon neutral, they don't use much). What i hoped to illustrate was that what we're paying at the pump for a gallon is not an accurate determination of cost. There is a greater cost per gallon, and we've been paying it in National defense dollars (taxes) and blood for sixty years. If you were to add the trillions spent securing our oil interests worldwide (national defense spending) using various, shall we say, murky methods, we might get an accurate per gallon cost for gasoline. I can promise you it is higher than any other country in the world. And that doesn't count the blood.

The US spent roughly $626 billion on it's military budget last year. Canada, $15 billion. At least what your paying at the pump is closer to accurate. Most of us don't have a clue. We pretty much pay for your national defense too. But that's another conversation... :tonguefinger:

More from Wiki: ( I know, not the greatest resource, but i'm lazy)

Comparison with other countries

Military spending as a percentage of GDP

Military spending as a percentage of GDP

The 2005 U.S. military budget is almost as much as the rest of the world's defense spending combined [7] and is over eight times larger than the official military budget of China. (Note that this comparison is done in nominal value US dollars and thus is not adjusted for purchasing power parity.) The United States and its close allies are responsible for about two-thirds of the world's military spending (of which, in turn, the U.S. is responsible for the majority).

Military discretionary spending accounts for more than half of the U.S. federal discretionary spending, which is all of the U.S. federal government budget that is not appropriated for mandatory spending.[8]

In 2003, the United States spent about 47% of the world's total military spending of US$910.6 billion, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.

The United States spends 3.7% of its GDP on its military, more than France's 2.6% and less than Saudi Arabia's 10%.[9] This is historically low for the United States since it peaked in 1944 at 37.8% of GDP (it reached the lowest point of 3.0% in 1999-2001). Even during the peak of the Vietnam War the percentage reached a high of 9.4% in 1968.[10]

Because the U.S. GDP has risen over time, the military budget can rise in absolute terms while shrinking as a percentage of the GDP. For example, according to the Center for Defense Information, the US outlays for defense as a percentage of federal discretionary spending, has from Fiscal Year 2003 consumed more than half (50.5%) of all such funding and has risen steadily.[11] Discretionary spending accounts for approximately 1/3 of all federal outlays.[12] Therefore, comparing nominal dollar values of military spending over the course of decades fails to account for the impact of inflationary forces, for which military spending as a percentage of GDP does account.

The recent invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan are largely funded through supplementary spending bills outside the Federal Budget, so they are not included in the military budget figures listed above.[13] In addition, the United States has black budget military spending which is not listed as Federal spending and is not included in published military spending figures. Other military-related items, like maintenance of the nuclear arsenal and the money spent by the Veterans Affairs Department, are not included in the official budget. Thus, the total amount spent by the United States on military spending is higher.

Edited by PDCCD

So...... I just have to ask.

Has anyone checked into building a "Joe Cell" to power your auto?

I would like to experiment with it a little.

Another type of this power can be seen on this video.(That story came from my local News Station.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUmlLqkUHd0

The guy in the video(Denny Klein) now has a website and sells plans to make one for yourself for $50...

http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/?hop=wicks2006

Here's three more that have got the top spots in this websites reviews.

http://www.water-for-fuel-scam.com/index7a.htm

Here's another good video on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhSP8b1OBAg

Edited by TrailChaser

The thing that gets me with that water to fuel thing is the way it's advertised. In theory it works....we actually use a much larger system here to create hydrogen gas that we use to burn in some small natural gas generators that are used to produce electricity to run some huge pieces of production equipement. BUT....we pump the hydrogen gas into a combustion system desiged to burn a gas, not a liquid/gas(air) system like a car.

Do a Google search on Brown's Gas and you'll see some conflicting info. Here's one that's kind of interesting....don't how legitimate it is...

Brown's Gas

I've looked into browns gas, and it seems like it was a reality until the cylinders started to explode when the gas level got too low... It would be nice to be able to cut steel with only one cylinders of gas tho. :FartExplode-vi:

On a more serious note:

I have decided to make myself the guinea pig on this project. I've already bought the plans to build it from the site listed above.(Denny Klein's site) I would really like to have a couple of volunteers to do this project on their own.

So now,,, I need some people who SERIOUSLY wants to test this out with me(but on your own) please PM me for details. I will decide who gets to help test this based on how long you've been on this forum.(for credibility reasons) The volunteers will not pay me anything, but will have to piece together the "kit" themselves. They say you can get all the needed parts for under $100.(Lets make that part of the test.)

Please do not bother volunteering unless you wholeheartedly want to test this out to review on this forum. Making a thread of your progress would be great, but really the main thing I'm looking for is some honest people to give me an honest review for our community to possible save some $$$.

I've got my hands full of projects right now, so it may be a little while before I can actually get started on this, but I'd love to get some testers started on this project ASAP.

I made a new thread about this, so post up your thoughts on it over there if you will.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19002

it doesn't matter which Pathy I take to work, they get about the same gas mileage believe it or not.... i drive mini (5 spd) more aggressively than king (auto), if i keep them both under 65mph....... i can go 300 miles on a tank.....

so, i guess my answer would be, i slow down and suck it up. i can afford it.

300 miles on a tank with all your stuff?! I can't nurse mine to 250 on flat highway cruise control if my life depended on it. Purrs like a kitten, 31x12.5 tires and 3+3. WTF?!

for now, I'm fine driving the pathy, 11 miles a day isint bad.... but when I move out to sumner, i'll do the head gasket and clutch in my 97 sidekick, and start driving that till mom wants it back

Move on out, we need company. :) We're in Bonney Lake, she rides the Sounder out of Sumner, and I work just over on the edge of Puyallup.

Oh, I forgot our recent plan. The Pathy is PARKED, has been for a few weeks now. As in, no move, go to Home Depot maybe, trail possibly, but commute = nada. It figures out that if I give up a half hour in the morning to drop the Mrs. at the commuter train and then chug free coffee at the office, then a half hour after I get off to pick her up when I'm usualy wrapping stuff up anyways, I can drive her car, cost me almost an hour but save her over 2 per day, and save well over $100 a month in gas in the process. Did that just hurt your brain like it did mine? ;) Oy

was gonna convert mine to run on methane but the thought of "plugging in" every time I need to drive anywhere makes my arse hurt

Edited by k9sar