$4+ a gallon - what's your personal solution

Mr. Pickles

this parking pass did cost 500

WTF?? Is this per semester? Is it valet parking?? :blink:

was gonna convert mine to run on methane but the thought of "plugging in" every time I need to drive anywhere makes my arse hurt

K9SAR!!! When plugging in, you are supposed to stop at the first ring, not all the way to the handle!!!! :ohno01:

B

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF?? Is this per semester? Is it valet parking?? :blink:

It's for the whole "school year" which would be sept 2nd to april 30th (school actually ends 2 weeks earlier but its so you can go pick stuff up)

Valet parking? I WISH! But it's pretty damn close to the building so in the winter I can't complain.

I just drive my truck easier and it's getting better mpg.

What did I do?

Picked up a used F250 Super Duty with a V10 Triton! :D

They've dropped over 30% in value in just the last 6 months. Got mine for a song.

Take that song and convert it to $ cuz you bought a Ford and have 10 freakin cylinders :omg:

Take that song and convert it to $ cuz you bought a Ford and have 10 freakin cylinders :omg:

$: Got it for $8800. In outstanding mechanical condition, a little rough looking on the interior - all fixable.

As far as gas consumption: Of course it sucks! So I only drive it when I need to - which is to tow our trailer. My thoughts on gas consumption and prices versus usage:

If I care what it costs, I don't buy it. Carpool, ride my bike, motorcycle, bus, train, etc.

If I want to buy it, I choose not to care what it costs.

Lamenting over what it costs does absolutely nothing to change the situation, so why do it?

I ride motorcycle or bicycle to work most of the time. If we want to take the trailer to camp, we're going to do it. We budget in for the fuel costs, and then choose not to care when I fill up. For the semi-annual Oregon Dunes trip, we are camping on the sand instead of at the KOA. That frees up a couple hundred bucks for gas.

Back to the V10. It actually isn't so expensive to run if you keep your foot out of it. My colleague regularly gets 15-16 commuting to work (mostly highway). Not too far off from some Pathys. Around town, well, it is a tank. Most report 9-13 depending on weight of foot. Again, not too far off from Pathy.

As far as towing, we've been getting 6-7 mpg using the '93 F350 dually with 460. Most report 8-10 using the V10. That will be a significant improvement! And the v10 will let me use one grade lower.

Why didn't I get diesel?

- Our trailer is modest, so we don't need the extra power. Gasser gets us over the Siskiyou grade at 55 just fine.

- We don't tow that much, so the theoretical extra life span is irrelevant. Some V10's are over 300K and running strong.

- In talking to honest folks, they are only getting about 20-25% better mpg than the V10 gasser. Diesel costs almost that much more in Cal, so not much savings to fill up.

- Gassers are SUPER CHEAP right now! Like $5k less than a comparable condition diesel. That buys a LOT of gas!

Besides all the other sensible things you have said, I think this sums it all up.

Back to the V10. It actually isn't so expensive to run if you keep your foot out of it. My colleague regularly gets 15-16 commuting to work (mostly highway). Not too far off from some Pathys. Around town, well, it is a tank. Most report 9-13 depending on weight of foot. Again, not too far off from Pathy.

I average 15mpg driving to work and back. No freeway, some stop lights and most rolling a 45. 7 miles one way. I use a gallon a day including warming up. I could drive a APC to work and afford it. I'd never want to take either pathy, V10 or APC on a trip.

Before anyone goes there, yes, I have considered biking to work, but if you saw the scary 2 foot wide bike lane and the way people drive, I prefer to pay to live. Not to mention, I refuse to ride with traffic. If some azzhat is drifting out of the lane or a dually is brushing the white line, I want to see it and have a chance to get out of the way. I don't let people hit me from behind...

B

here in argentina

1 U$s the liter (1000 cms 3)

so to go to work (downton) 7 miles... TAKE THE BUS... (the traffic jams are also a good factor to choose public transportation)

in the afternoon to go to the club or on weekends TAKE THE PATHY ;)

one bus ticket to downtown it´s 0.30 U$s and if you take it between 8.00 AM and 9.00 AM or 17.00 and 19.00 PM you travel like canned sardines...

subway its around 0.25 U$s the ticke too...

gotta get greener :tongue:

$0.25-.30 would be nice, the usual fare here is $1.50-2 per area. The commuter rail is more like $4, but less per zone of travel. My wife takes the rail (the Sounder), but its great for her as she works a mile from the downtown station in Seattle. Luckily, the station is 1/2 mile max from my office, and her employer covers the transit bill. Carpooling is gooooood.

Besides all the other sensible things you have said, I think this sums it all up.

I average 15mpg driving to work and back. No freeway, some stop lights and most rolling a 45. 7 miles one way. I use a gallon a day including warming up. I could drive a APC to work and afford it. I'd never want to take either pathy, V10 or APC on a trip.

Before anyone goes there, yes, I have considered biking to work, but if you saw the scary 2 foot wide bike lane and the way people drive, I prefer to pay to live. Not to mention, I refuse to ride with traffic. If some azzhat is drifting out of the lane or a dually is brushing the white line, I want to see it and have a chance to get out of the way. I don't let people hit me from behind...

B

True that. I remember my brother coming home banged up years ago, as a lady got distracted on the road and hit him *gently.* That's at 40mph, but it was a gentle blow and left him down and a scratch on her car. He jumped up like WTF?!?!@#$%&* and she actually drove off. The point being, F that. Our population is filled with too many assholes to get me on 2 wheels in traffic, even on a motorcycle. People around here are too stupid for me to trust them with my life.