Who has a garden?

Precise1

I'm getting into vegetable gardening. The mixed garden salad I picked last weekend was one of the tastiest I've eaten in a long time. I'm looking forward to fresh veggies this summer, not the crap the supermarkets sell. The girlfriend likes flowers, but my rule is that I don't want to plan it unless I can eat it. So, I planted a few edible flowers... :D

This is what vegetables I have planted so far: 2 eggplants, 4 tomatos, 1 cucumber, 1 butternut squash, 2 peas, 6 brocoli, 2 bell peppers, 6 spinach, 6 various lettuce, dwarf lemon tree, dwarf mandarin orange tree, several onions, 12 garlic and a patch of green onions.

The herbs I have so far are tarragon, oregano, thyme, celantro, garlic chives, and rosemary. The blue basil died... :(

I have some seeds sprouting: 3 golden squash, 6 cherry tomatos, 3 cantalope, and 3 pole tomatos. I'm waiting to see if the pickle cucumbers, japanese eggplant, bell peppers, and hot peppers will sprout.

All of this in the front yard... :aok:

B

Got any gardening tips to share??

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who Has a Garden? We do.

What is in it? Weeds right now. A bit too early to be putting anything down, we are still getting some good frosts.

It will have peas, carrots, potatoes and probably one other, maybe strawberries. It is 10x10 in size, so not a lot of options for bigger stuff.

yeah B, i do.. the only thing i'd say is: grow some swiss chard as it can handle the heat like no other green.

not sure about your temps but basil doesn't like any temp below 50 and the blue one coul dbe having issues with temps under 60.

water your toms everyday.. use rain water if you can, plants tend to do way better with it then publically poisoned tap water. ;)

and that must be quite the garden.. where are the pics??

My Nonna has a garden with tomato's, radicchio (bitter leaf green), regular lettuce, carrots, zucchini, and various other things.

There's a trick she uses to ward off earwigs and such, let me see if i can remember

Trainman, I hear you about the frost. I though we were done here (it will be 27 degrees C this weekend, 10 at night) but the other day it went from 7 one night to 0 the next. I was pissed when I saw frost, but I think most of the plants handled it. Now I just cover them every night...

My growing area is boomersang shaped, perhaps 2-2.5 meters wide x 5 meters long with a side bed 1.5x1 meters. I just plan to trellis everything that tries to creep. I have about 1/2 of the plants in pots anyway. Saves room and I can move them if they need differrent conditions.

B, do you wear your bunny ears when you garden?

*snort*

I should do that just to freak people out... Would you believe I haven't planted any carrots? Maybe when the lettuce dies...

Oh, I forgot to mention the 2 swiss chard plants that made it from last year... You are probably right about the basil, I'll just buy another one in a few weeks. $1.59=NP!! No pictures yet as most of the plants are 6'-1' tall so not much to see. I'll take pictures when they take off, kinda like the 2 foot lemon tree with 25 lemons on it!! :blink:

Rainwater? Rain in California after april?? HAHAHahahahaha!! Thats funny!!! Sorry, city water is all I have, but I get your point. If only I had an industrial sized brita filter!!

Yeah redfinder, any pest tricks would be great to know. I already use the beer for slugs trick and plan to buy some ladybugs for the roses, artichoke (oops, forgot that one also) and eggplants. I was going to get preying mantisisisis but the GF veto'd that idea when she learned they would get 6" long. I think she was afraid they'd gang up and take her down... :D

B

my nephew and sis-in-law just planted some tomatoes, lettuce, green beans and sunflowers in the backyard a couple weeks ago......(Alameda) if everything survives, I'll let you know what their trick was.

myself, well, I have grass.... I can kill anything, including grass..

Edited by Slick

Hey, for those of you who have limited space (or attention span like GG :D), check this out. My boss swears they work like a charm. I'll probably get some...

http://www.gardeners.com/Gardener+s%20Revo...default,pd.html

B

oh, i have LOTS of space lol. it's time and patience i lack :D *stands next to GG*

that's cool tho

Hey now....plants should be able to live without my intervention, they did in the wild for many years before a human started growing them on purpose. Not my fault that Darwin was right....

We have a little garden, 10'x12' and raised. I turned the soil with compost and manure a couple weeks ago, and planned to plant it this weekend mostly, but now they're calling for a chance of snow this weekend around the Seattle area. :blink: Its the middle of April! :wtf:

So that remains to be seen, but there will be red potatoes (already in), snap peas, zuchinni, eggplant, and a few kinds of tomatoes. I might do a couple herb pots, we'll see. Lack of water isn't a problem around here until later in July and Aug., but cold and crappy can be until them. :(

Rainwater? Rain in California after april?? HAHAHahahahaha!! Thats funny!!! Sorry, city water is all I have, but I get your point. If only I had an industrial sized brita filter!!

lol.. not. icon2.gifP...

:P:)

anyway, if you can, reserve a barrel for some water and fill it once in a while but let it stand at least 24h (uncovered) before using it to water your plants. chlorine and other chems should dissipate/break down out of there by then.

• 2 weeks later...
Sure....if you can call the bird feeder induced jungle in my back yard a garden...

*snort*

Hey V, where you been hiding??

but now they're calling for a chance of snow this weekend around the Seattle area. blink.gif Its the middle of April! wtf.jpg

Yeah, no sheit!! There was ice on my truck this morning!! Apparently this is the latest/worst frost we have had here in 30 years. Luckily I've been covering most of the plants so they are fine, just dormant.

reserve a barrel for some water and fill it once in a while but let it stand at least 24h (uncovered) before using it to water your plants. chlorine and other chems should dissipate/break down out of there by then.

Hmm, good point. I should be able to rig something like that easily. Thanks MZ! :beer:

It made my whole house stink though, not good in a rented place

Dude, ionizer?? Worked for me and... well... sort of or something? I forget...

B

Well, the update on the seedlings is the night before I was going to plant several of them in the garden (last saturday night) a rat got into the garage and ate them all. I know it was a rat, as it's head was crushed in a trap I placed the following night. Damn, I was pissed!! :ar15:

Looks like I'll have to buy the seedlings now...

B

Well, I planted some spaghetti squash, pickle cucumbers and hungarian wax peppers yesterday. I pulled up the remaining acorn squash and potted it to try to save it. The garden is filling up pretty quick. The only thing I still want to plant is the yellow zuchinni and other than that, I'm about out of room. Well, when things start creeping and climbing...

A good aphid (and general first try pest spray) is 90% water, 10% alcohol (isopropal, but 20% 80 proof vodka, etc would work) and a dash of dish soap. The idea is that it doesn't harm the plant, kills or damages the pests and eggs. The soap is just for a little bit of adhesion, not to mention it doesn't do the insects breathing spicules any favors. The alcohol evaporates quick enough that there is no residue to harm friendly bugs like lady bugs, mantis, etc. I've tried it on roses and tomatoes for aphids and it worked great with no plant harm. I used it on spinach and swiss chard for some kind of leaf borer eggs with perfect success also. This is my first attack spray of choice.

B

I did get my garden spot cleared out of the debris that had accumulated there over the past couple years. Now I just need to remove a few more weeds and wait till the frost threat is gone. Plannig corn, green beans, zuchinni, bell peppers and a leaf lettuce of some sort. Then doing some tomatos seperate in a couple pots.