Best R50?

dodgerex

I have a 2003 Pathy. love it since day 1. wife liked but never liked to drive it. well now ive been in Iraq for 7 months and go figure she loves it. Ive got 4 more months till i get home and can't wait to start driving it again. so at first i was just thinking i should buy a "car" for gas milage reasons right, seeing i have my first born baby on the way, we could use it to save some money u know. well she really doesnt' want to give up the pathfinder to me and get stuck in a car. so to make ME happy and Her happy, ive decided to just go and get another pathfinder. so i want some advice from as many people as i can get.

Do I go with the same year Pathy 2003?

or

Go with an older model so i can finally do all ive wanted to do to and with it?

or

2004 model for her? and just keep the '03 for me?

If I'm looking forward to lifting and going mudding with my pathy, what should I do?

If i was to go with an 02 or 04 model, are the engine parts the same, that way if one conks out i can just order two? and replace as necessary and already have the part with me.

what to do what to do? :shrug::ar15: either way i get to buy another pahty!! :jig:

01'-03' all have the same engine inside. So if you stick with the newer models, you'll have more power. If you decide to go with the older R50, you'll have a lil more options as to offroad use (manual hubs, T-case gears) but less power since they run on the 3.3l engine. I think the older pathys look more serious and rugged towards offroad. The newer R50 is more of a street princess but still a kick @ss truck.

I am a little biased here :D , I say go 02 or 03. I have heard from some that the 04 is not as reliable as past years for some reason, but this is just from a few comments, no facts to back that up.

Getting a newer one should give you more years with it, it will have less wear and tear, better motor, more power but same fuel consumption.

Less likely to be able to find a manual trannie tho, if that is important.

Does the 96-99 have any advantage off road other then looking more rugged? I would love to have the additional power of the 00+, but it all depends on what your needs are for performance. The 3.3 is pretty slow, but when you get on it it will go, and ive driven many miles on the highway with mine and am satisfied.

Trainman: what really makes the 3.5 a better engine? Ive heard nothing but good things about the 3.3, and those 3.5 have problems with the power valve screws or something?

I would also go with the 01-04 r50, just cause I love me 03. I have also heard nothing but good things about the 96-00 pathfinders as my brother has a 97 he's had since new with 240000km on it and no problems what so ever. But having said that I just prefer the newer r50's because of the 3.5 liter, I think the 3.5 is just as reliable as the 3.3 the main difference between the two is the power for sure but also the VQ35 has both aluminium heads and block where the 3.3 has the cast iron block. I also find there seems to be issues with the 01 though as they tend to have coil issues and O2 sensor problems I have yet to have this problem though. Another is the power valve screws coming loose and getting sucked into the engine, but if you can catch it early its a very simple job to do yourself. But all in all they are grreat trucks and very reliable. Dodgerex if you want a more offroading r50 you might wanna look into the SE's as they have slighty bigger tires a bigger rear diff and Im pretty sure they have an LSD anyway good luck in ur decision

I would also go with the 01-04 r50, just cause I love me 03. I have also heard nothing but good things about the 96-00 pathfinders as my brother has a 97 he's had since new with 240000km on it and no problems what so ever. But having said that I just prefer the newer r50's because of the 3.5 liter, I think the 3.5 is just as reliable as the 3.3 the main difference between the two is the power for sure but also the VQ35 has both aluminium heads and block where the 3.3 has the cast iron block. I also find there seems to be issues with the 01 though as they tend to have coil issues and O2 sensor problems I have yet to have this problem though. Another is the power valve screws coming loose and getting sucked into the engine, but if you can catch it early its a very simple job to do yourself. But all in all they are grreat trucks and very reliable. Dodgerex if you want a more offroading r50 you might wanna look into the SE's as they have slighty bigger tires a bigger rear diff and Im pretty sure they have an LSD anyway good luck in ur decision

I dont think the rear diff is any bigger, and I know for the 97 SE the LSD was an option package with the black grill and black instead of the chrome bumper caps.

I would have to say the 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE w/ Manual Transmission is the best pathfinder out there. Extra points for a green one :)

But seriously, I love having a manual AND 3.636 gearing w/ the lsd.

I would have to say the 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE w/ Manual Transmission is the best pathfinder out there. Extra points for a green one :)

But seriously, I love having a manual AND 3.636 gearing w/ the lsd.

I'll admit the green looks great but theres that big thing in the left rear window...it should be a Raven, thats the only way to go.

97 R50! Maroon baby! As far as differences off road from new pathies. Not much in IMHO. Yes the older ones look more rugged. ( I love it) main thing I see with the new ones are the bumpters and all the plastic begging to be ripped off on a serious trail. I think the older ones have a bit more clearance in certain areas too. all models have pros and cons so it just depends on what your planning on doing with it. Will you be off-roading alot? or mostly city and highway driving? I know you said something about wanting to lift it I am biased because of my sweet girl "constance" but I love they way it looks and how badass she will look once I can finally get a lift under her.

Congrats on your first born!! We will be having our 2nd in April.

And thanks for all your doing for us in IRAQ.

Trainman: what really makes the 3.5 a better engine? Ive heard nothing but good things about the 3.3, and those 3.5 have problems with the power valve screws or something?

Well, as I said, I am biased :D

However, the 3.5 has been name one of the 10 best motors for 13 years in a row by Wards. It also has more power and just as importantly, torque. And the same or better fuel economy as the 3.3.

All motors have issues, I see the power valve in the 3.5 as a similar thing to the timing belt on the 3.3, just a routine maintenance item (although the power valves should not be).

But as I say, I am biased.

Well, as I said, I am biased :D

However, the 3.5 has been name one of the 10 best motors for 13 years in a row by Wards. It also has more power and just as importantly, torque. And the same or better fuel economy as the 3.3.

All motors have issues, I see the power valve in the 3.5 as a similar thing to the timing belt on the 3.3, just a routine maintenance item (although the power valves should not be).

But as I say, I am biased.

I see. I can't even think of them as seperated by one model year. The 3.3 just seems like one of those big old slow V6's like Chevy still does, and the 3.5 seems more like the new wave of V6's with all of this valve timing changes and all. Its wierd to think how my moms Pilot (insanely fast and that vtec :tonguefinger: ) is a V6 just like my slow old Pathy...its also amazing how American cars still have to rely on V8 power to keep up with the V6's from the Japs...hopefully the new V6 in the CTS will be a good engine. Ill go ahead and add this :offtopic:

I love my 2003 SE. It is not the best way to go for after market off-road goodies but you can raise it and get some workable clearance. My 2003 has the AC lift, 32x11.5x15 tires full armor underneath, custom rear bumper, 4:63 LSD from a Xterra with matching front end and cheap off-road lights that still work and it is ok if they break. The front was made by KMA and it worked out well. If you go used make sure you find one with a LSD unit. I didn't know squat about off-roading before buying the 03 and just wanted to go wheeling with the kids and such. I actually thought 4x4 really meant 4x4, not 2x4, 3x4 or some other such drivel when you engaged the 4 wheel drive. I would also look for the 4:63 gearing vs the 4.36. Big time difference when you go with bigger tires. The 01-03 R-50's are much closer to grocery getters as stock due to departure angles and such but if you are not into rock crawling and want a rig that will get you dirty and bring you home they are very nice rigs. Actually if you want a rig that will get you into places you most likely don't belong and then brijng you back they are great. The folks I run with are mainly JEEP freaks running 4"-6 " of lift and 33" to 35" tires but I still manage to keep up, well except for the Buick sized rocks which is not what I wanted anyway.

You mean Buicks and rocks are different...so Buicks aren't rocks? Lol, I have had both the 3.3 and now the 3.5. I still love and miss greatly my 3.3, but the 3.5 never struggles for power.

The 3.3 is like the older chevy's with slow v6's...partly what I miss. The word is "SPUNK" that is what the older R50's had that the news don't have. The 3.3 with cams, intake, and exhaust was plenty tough even with the injectors failing on my rig. My 3.5 has power that seems untapped. I need the higher gears, as I have the 4.36's...but there seems to be power that is still hidden from me, the truck digs out of poor RPM's/gears adn puts power to the ground. I really am thinking of having the ECU sent to JET for flashing.....this is the benefit of the 3.5 all that technology just like LAXMAN said.

You mean Buicks and rocks are different...so Buicks aren't rocks? Lol, I have had both the 3.3 and now the 3.5. I still love and miss greatly my 3.3, but the 3.5 never struggles for power.

The 3.3 is like the older chevy's with slow v6's...partly what I miss. The word is "SPUNK" that is what the older R50's had that the news don't have. The 3.3 with cams, intake, and exhaust was plenty tough even with the injectors failing on my rig. My 3.5 has power that seems untapped. I need the higher gears, as I have the 4.36's...but there seems to be power that is still hidden from me, the truck digs out of poor RPM's/gears adn puts power to the ground. I really am thinking of having the ECU sent to JET for flashing.....this is the benefit of the 3.5 all that technology just like LAXMAN said.

Yes, I am saddened to say Buicks are not rocks. They do share some of the same driving traits but it just will never be a rock.

The WD's have ECU's...

Best way to improve your R50 is to upgrade it with the WD21.... :hide:

Sorry I could not resist...

Jesus man, come one...you're always the first person to make that un-original, over-used comment.

Whatever makes you happy, I suppose :aok:

Edited by navygz19

Jesus man, come one...you're always the first person to make that un-original, over-used comment.

Whatever makes you happy, I suppose :aok:

I put a disclaimer on that....

3.5 motor would be nice....

02 02 02!!! Haha, just makre sure you find one with a LSD...it'll help you out from time to time. Wish mine had it!

Oh yeah, and go green BTW :aok:

Still new to all the acroynms, what is LSD? everybody's been saying get one with it. but i dont know what it is. Oh and i talked to the wife, our pathfinder is a SE so its a Blue '03 SE. and go figure i asked for pics but we just had that winter storm come thru, so she didn't take any, since she skipped out on work becuase of the weather. I'll keep bugging her though.