Secret Compartments?

~Ben~

When we cut a small hole floor in my cargo area to slide the tire carrier bracket in, I discovered a little "cavern" under there. I wonder if they'd ever search that..

The automatic shift lever. On the black piece, if you take it off the lever and look at the backside, there's a little cut our square. Take a flat head and pry it out, and behind it is a little 1" deep by 1/2" wide metal box inside. Could hide some little illegal things in there...

I think this is only good for the automatics without the E/AT switch...

I actually had a friend with a 95 ford ranger and he cut his bed out, made compartments in the bed... welded the bed back up, then put some logs in the back and he ended up being able to carry so much stuff... no dogs or anyone found what was in the bed.... it was air tight welding...

The man and beast (i.e. Border Patrol and dogs) are not always the issue. Don’t forget the x-ray scanners you drive by when going over the border. We have them down here from the south at some entry points. These are very sophisticated scanners our tax dollars installed; you’d be surprised the detail. Anything that looks out of place or weird will trigger an alert. Then come the dogs and tool boxes to take apart whatever they want.

EDIT: from http://www.kvoa.com/global/story.asp?S=10038544 (local news, Tucson, AZ)

The vehicle x-ray is called the Z band Backscatter Van (ZBV), which effectively x-rays a vehicle and reveals contraband or illegals in the vehicle. When the semi was ran through the scanner Wednesday it made it's illegal cargo obvious to border agents, says Border Patrol.

Since its implementation in the Tucson Sector, the ZBV has been used 650 times and discovered a total of 1600 lbs. of marijuana.

Tucson Sector agents have arrested over 80,000 illegal aliens during the first five months of Fiscal Year 2009.

Edited by InfinQX4

i know someone has a large system in his car and he wired 2 batteries in the back but only one of the two yellow top stringer batteries back there is a actual battery. they both look wired up but on is actually torn apart and gutted out and cleaned very well and is used as his illegal drug stash. pretty cleaver I would have never of looked there lol

i know someone has a large system in his car and he wired 2 batteries in the back but only one of the two yellow top stringer batteries back there is a actual battery. they both look wired up but on is actually torn apart and gutted out and cleaned very well and is used as his illegal drug stash. pretty cleaver I would have never of looked there lol

Unless he put some lead balast back in it, one lift will show it is lighter than it should be.

my last car which was a 91 lincoln towncar was searched almost every time it was pulled over and i had that for like 6 months and was pulled over too many times to count. when i got my pathfinder i have had it for almost a year and only been pulled over once. its a good thing this car isnt suspicious looking because cops do profile.

• 1 month later...
I was on my own, heading from Toronto to PA to go wheeling @ the NorEaster... (hence the back seats down, and full of stuff)

I was asked to go into the building, where I was questioned, then I was hauled into a room where they questioned me more, and scared the crap out of me, after I drove the path into a garage for them to take the dog thru it.

Was good times.

Must be since its Chillout Edtion Pathy :scratchhead:

Dunno about drugs and stuff, but the R50 has tons of places to hide stuff from thieves. Wouldn't get anything past a dog, x-ray machine or whatever, but I don't advocate that kind of thing anyway.

A few I've found while modding the Pathy:

1. Stock front bumper. Space between the front fender and the front of the plastic shroud. Easily accessed with a screwdriver and a few minutes. Not recommended if you're wheeling. :)

2. Stock rear bumper. You can paste stuff inside the plastic shroud since the stock "bumper" is really just a metal twig underneath the tailgate. Wraparound sections are empty

3. Stock jack area under rear seats

4. Cubby underneath the storage area in rear footwell (opposite amp)

5. In the plastic cover underneath the steering column

6. Underneath the plastic surrounding the gearshift knob. Pop off the trim pieces in front and voila.

7. Behind a 1-din faceplate if you have a 1-din radio and a 2-din slot. Put the faceplate on clips and you can snap it open and shut easily. Looks stock and easily accessed

8. Behind the air vents on either side of the clock in the center dash

9. Behind the plastic covers on the sides of each front footwell. Will only take slim items and requires removing the sill plate first. 5 minute operation with a screwdriver

10. Spare undermount tire carrier area if you've removed your spare.