Gas Saving

PoisonXA

not drive? :hide:

well you could start buy making sure you've done all your maintenance/tune up stuff. Change all the oils, preferably to synthetic, replace your air filter with a high quality one (k and n for example), change your spark plugs, and don't have anything that isn't neccessary inside your truck, the weight actually made a difference for me. If your a 5 speed, shift at 2500 rpm and don't book it all the time. Also make sure your tires are inflated properly and bearings are in good shape. All this stuff, including fuel filter change as well, brought my truck up from 16mpg to 20mpg

hope that helps

so far ive done this,

replaced rear main seal and did transmission tunup , changed oil to full sythetic 15/50 best from mobil 1, changed spark plugs and wires to high performance NGK changed all 12 bearings and seals did tuneup to both differentials and transfer case, changed all the shocks , has K&N oil/air filter has high flow gas filter. what else should i do?

stay off the tall skinny, drive 65 mph and below and slap some lucas fuel treatment in the gas tank . and all that works, cuz i get 3-4 mpg better doing what i just said.

whats the tall skinny?? and ive found out that when i drive 70-80 i use less gas cuz of overdrive and lucas fuel treatment f**ked up my friends gas level sensor so im paranoid of it..

whats the tall skinny?? and ive found out that when i drive 70-80 i use less gas cuz of overdrive and lucas fuel treatment f**ked up my friends gas level sensor so im paranoid of it..

the tall skinny is your gas pedal, and i in noooooooooooooo way can i see how you SAVE gas driving 70-80mph in a pathy. Auto or 5 speed..... i have both, i should know.

and i will bet you $100, unless he did something stupid, the lucas was not to blame for messing up a sensor. i have used lucas for YEARS and had nothing but good results.

the lucas should only be used every OTHER FILL up, and it's 3oz of lucas per 10 gals of gas.

Edited by Slick

buy a daily driver

Hey! my pathy is a daily driver :)

Make sure all of your tires are inflated to the proper PSI! Really people don't underestimate how much mpg this could save you. I just saw a newscast on my local station and they were trying to figure out ways to save money on gas and the first thing they did was even out all the tire pressure to 32psi, to begin with some tires were a little under some were a little over . And they apparently got her to get 4 more mpg just by doing that.

Now I can't remember what car they were driving but I think it was an suv..

just my .02 cents

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

Hey! my pathy is a daily driver :)

Make sure all of your tires are inflated to the proper PSI! Really people don't underestimate how much mpg this could save you. I just saw a newscast on my local station and they were trying to figure out ways to save money on gas and the first thing they did was even out all the tire pressure to 32psi, to begin with some tires were a little under some were a little over . And they apparently got her to get 4 more mpg just by doing that.

Now I can't remember what car they were driving but I think it was an suv..

just my .02 cents

-Mike

how far do you drive to and from work each day? i do 60+ miles 5 days a week, did that for a while in my pathfinder, but i finally gave in to the cost of gas being so high, and bought a car that gets double the mpg, and has more power from the same size engine. definately don't regret it, even with a car payment, i'd rather my money be going towards something thats worth it.

Get a tune-up and swap to an e-fan.

Hey Greg does an E-fan make a big difference? After 200K I think my fan clutch is tired.

I just removed my tire carrier to lighten the load.

But I have a Camry for a daily driver, saves me mega$ since I drive 90+ miles a day; or use methane :FartExplode-vi::shiftyeyes:

Was in Tennessee (Kentennessee as I call it) Walmart had a place "stable" to tie up your horse when you go shopping?! Grass powered!

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

i have my at's at 40psi def keeps it rolling longer but if you have crappy shocks its gonna really suck. my procomp 9000's do a great job of taming the 31's bounce at the high pressure. I think air pressure if the key thing for mileage that you can do. good luck. Remember they weren't made for mileage. my 92 maxima i recently aquired with the vg30 does great on gas so its def the weight of the pathfinder plus its aerodynamics that hurt it. Mud tires and steel wheels are def a recipe for poor mileage.

scott

I call BS on that. I got better milage with that setup than with aluminum and ATs.

Hmm. In my case, I regularly see about 2 mpg drop with steelies.

Steelies: Rock Crawler with 31x10.5-15 Cooper STT

Alumies: Some Ultra things with 255/70-16's A/T's.

I think it is something like 15 pounds per wheel difference.

if i took my tool box (60+ lbs), and all the crap i have in the back of my pathy, out, i would probably get another 1-2 mpg better gas mileage..... :blink:

Hmm. In my case, I regularly see about 2 mpg drop with steelies.

Steelies: Rock Crawler with 31x10.5-15 Cooper STT

Alumies: Some Ultra things with 255/70-16's A/T's.

I think it is something like 15 pounds per wheel difference.

I have the 15" :

Steel - Rock Crawlers w/ 31x10.5 BFG MT KMs

Alum - Panther ? w/ 31x10.5 BFG ATs

Like I said, I was getting better withe the steel and MT. :shrug:

i steel wheels and mud tires gave good mileage woudn't every new eco-friendly car come with them? at tires or all seasons are lighter and roll easier its a proven fact then a mud tire. Mud tires are good for mud.... steel wheels are heavier then alum so more rolling mass plus its more weight for the truck to turn so its simple physics so def no BS there! I would have loved ot replace the ugly lego's on the pathy with some fashionably functional black steelies but it doesn't make sence in my case. I'll stick to the at's on alum wheels. A good driver can make up the difference on the trail anyhow next to the novice with his fashionable functional rig. Just a personal opinion.

just as another point ive noticed my larger then stock exhaust did help power but didn't help mileage ( more air in and out requires more fuel) but the more open intake alone did help mileage and power. I took off my silencer part of the airbox and ran a 2in 90deg elbow to 2in pvc eliminating the factory silencer box and a nice deep growl and better overall driveability was the outcome.

Scott

ps- yeah you want mileage buy something economical......

. I took off my silencer part of the airbox and ran a 2in 90deg elbow to 2in pvc eliminating the factory silencer box and a nice deep growl and better overall driveability was the outcome.

Scott

ps- yeah you want mileage buy something economical......

removing the air box accualy reduces the amount of air that gose into the intake. at least it did on VW... i remember reading a post on were we ran a flow test... but again it's a diffrent car.