Timing Belts

rk434

ok, so i just put plates on the pathy, looks like new wheels and tires will have to wait! my question now is, i dont know if the timing belt has ever been changed... it looks to be in decent shape. should i have it done? or is it something relatively easy to do?

Its a pretty easy job. Takes about 4 hours working fairly slow.

You should include a disclaimer on that Alex. It's about 4-hours for a mechanically inclined person, working carefully, and provided nothing goes wrong.

Also, how can you tell if it "looks ok?" The timing belt is hidden under a cover in the engine bay, and is not readily accessible without removing a bunch of stuff first. If you've already removed this stuff, do it while you're in there. The T-Belt costs all of $30, and is cheap insurance against an interfered motor. (Roll over for description - I love these new features!)

interfered motor. (Roll over for description - I love these new features!)

Whoa! That's cool! At first I didn't even know how you did that, and then when I quoted you, I saw the BB code.

Rollover what? Nothing happens for me (Firefox on XP Pro).

Mouse-over the words "interfered motor" in the original post. The "[ acronym=]" BB code does it.

Edited by XPLORx4

You should include a disclaimer on that Alex. It's about 4-hours for a mechanically inclined person, working carefully, and provided nothing goes wrong.

Also, how can you tell if it "looks ok?" The timing belt is hidden under a cover in the engine bay, and is not readily accessible without removing a bunch of stuff first. If you've already removed this stuff, do it while you're in there. The T-Belt costs all of $30, and is cheap insurance against an interfered motor. (Roll over for description - I love these new features!)

4 hours, then why does a mechanic quote me for the job at 7 hours?

Mouse-over the words "interfered motor" in the original post. The "[ acronym=]" BB code does it.

Got it, there is a lag (about a second) where I can not move the mouse before it shows up.

Thanks, and a neat feature for sure.

4 hours, then why does a mechanic quote me for the job at 7 hours?

7 hours might be the flat rate for this job. Does anyone have access to that sort of info? If you plan on doing it yourself, and you have never done one before, plan on the vehicle being down for two days. You might get it done in one, but there are tons of things that can go wrong along the way. You could discover bad hoses, you should plan on replacing the water pump, you might break something (I broke a tensioning bolt/nut that was only available at the dealer), and etc.

Yeah, that is flat rate. The first time I did it, I was right around the 6-7 hour area, and I didn't do the water pump, and I ran into no snags other than a human error in which I put on the wrong belt. (long story) :lol:

The second time I did it, I was under 4 hours for the entire job, including the water pump.

ok, so i guess i was looking at the wrong belt - my bad. anyways, ill plan to do it this month here, i have all the tools and a spot to do it, just wondering why the common practice of replacing the water pump. are they @!*% on the pathys or what? im not familiar with this truck whatsoever. i understand you have to drain the coolant system too, which is good because i want to put one of those inline coolant heaters in there aswell.

thanks for the info guys, im really appreciating the first hand knowledge! pics to come soon, once i get a few things taken care of!