Sparks Plugs

NGK Platinum. Stay away from multiple tipped plugs, as they don't do anything (Bosch +2, or +4) I had no performance increase with the +4 installed in mine, and because they weren't on sale when it was time to replace, I got regular NGK platinums.

I've ran both Bosch and NGK Platniums. I haven't expereinced any performance gains between either plug. And as Simon sez, (snickers to self) I haven't seen any performance improvements with the multi-tipped platniums over the standard platniums either. Currently I'm running Bosch +2's and still run consistently at 19-21 mpg in mixed driving environments. My pathgrinder is my daily driver unless the weather is good then I'm on my motorsickle. Remember to change your plugs when the engine, more importantly the heads are warm to the touch, use compressed air to blow all the cack out of the spark plug wells prior to removal and use some anti-seize on the threads prior to re-installation and don't over tighten them.

... And as Simon sez, (snickers to self) I....

DAMN YOU! I just had this image flash through my head of Simon and Pezzy playing a nocturnal game of simon sez :blink:

Edited by k9sar

Is there a particular reason you guys are using platinums? Standard copper cores are better conductors by far, and cheaper as well. Personally, I only go with copper core or iridium plugs. The platinum plugs do last longer though.

multipronged plugs are good for one reason and one reason only. they will last, quite a while. when one prong fouls up, the spark finds the path of least resistance, in other words it picks another prong.

I run the platinum plugs because of their longevity. And I hate the thought of replacing the #6 plug the bastage that it is. I have never had a fouled plug in my pathgrider copper or platimium (that is until now). No more Simon Sez comments, sorry for the visual k9.

M

Out

• 1 month later...

did a quick search and this thread is about all i could find. just bought some NGK G-Powers, but i dont have the book yet (had to order it in... northern stores don't have lots in stock). so i dont know what to gap them to. anyone have a number i can use? i spent $700 bones today on assorted stuff, ill take some pics of the pathy before i start my work on it, and then ill post some with the afters... should look and work well! thanks!

did a quick search and this thread is about all i could find. just bought some NGK G-Powers, but i dont have the book yet (had to order it in... northern stores don't have lots in stock). so i dont know what to gap them to. anyone have a number i can use? i spent $700 bones today on assorted stuff, ill take some pics of the pathy before i start my work on it, and then ill post some with the afters... should look and work well! thanks!

Plug gap is specced at 0.032" I believe.

• 4 years later...

i run the NGK iridiums vurry nice pluggos :)

Now hold on just a sec, I just went through a plug change and every time I asked about the NGK Iridium plugs at the auto parts store, they always said "Oh no Sir, your vehicle was tuned to run it's best with standard resistor type plugs, it wouldn't run as well with the iridiums installed"

So what gives? Are they required to say that because of liability reasons or is there real science behind it? Did you experience an uptick in mileage gains and performance with the iridiums ?

Now hold on just a sec, I just went through a plug change and every time I asked about the NGK Iridium plugs at the auto parts store, they always said "Oh no Sir, your vehicle was tuned to run it's best with standard resistor type plugs, it wouldn't run as well with the iridiums installed"

So what gives? Are they required to say that because of liability reasons or is there real science behind it? Did you experience an uptick in mileage gains and performance with the iridiums ?

Honestly...never trust the people at auto parts stores. ESPECIALLY the employees at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. The people at NAPA are ok sometimes. The only people you can trust to know what they are talking about are the older guys who OWN the stores themselves.

Never trust Joe or whoever at Advance Auto. I've been there, seen behind the scenes, done that.

Lots of people here recommend the regular plugs too... shrug

To be honest I have run the high end NGK plugs and the regular ones (the ngk V-power that the manual says to use) and I noticed no difference in power, or mileage. So what is the point, other than they may last longer.

the hig dollar plugs last longer at the cost of a thinner spark. This thinner spark jumps the gap better via irdium or platunm metals thus requireing less energy to fire.

The stock pathfinder igniton produces aprox 24,000 volts I think the 'need' for the low energy plug is non-existant. Run the cheaper V-powers and enjoi the fat spark.