Mr. P Is Broken

Mr. Pickles

My main computer computer decided to retire early 2 weeks ago. F'n Dell, it was only 2 1/2-3 years old. GRRRRR I tried what I could, and it spent a week in the shop, but the motherboard appears to be toast. I'm not really seeking out suggestions at this point, as we're looking into a new and much stronger desktop, cause we're tired of laptops and the bs.

In the meantime, I've hooked up the old skool pc now, about 7+ years old rolling Win 98... barely. It literally takes a couple min for a page to load. LOL I'm blocked at work, so this is it. Sorry to the couple guys who pm'd over the last few weeks and didn't get a reply until tonight. I hope to be up and running not too long from now, I've just had this among a few other unexpected and quite expensive surprises in the last 2 weeks or so. Whattya do... *chugs beer*

I feel your pain P, I lost my lappy about 3 weeks ago and have been runnin my old 344 mhz clocked up to like 400 runnin win 2000. I can't complain though, she still does OK for internet :wacko:

:ar15: the old puter!!!! no, really, sorry to hear about your puter woes. was gettin worried boutcha! :beer:

I did that remember the vid lol. I'm in the same boat as you Mr P

My computer 2 months old and is now in the shop :thumbsdown:

Man that sucks...I hate computers....they are a rip off....we need to go back to carving stuff into stone....stones last forever.

I am so glad that my father in law is at least good for something. He works for Arkansas State University (building puters for them) and he surprises me every few years with a better version.....I can't complain. Mine does what I need it to for free, so I guess I have been lucky a few times :happy:

Edited by govols74n

Sorry to hear about your computer man... I had a hard drive crash on my a few weeks ago.. it sure is a bummer.

But I hear Macs are so easy to use and are really really reliable; might be my next pc.

Don't fall into their lies... Macs are over priced pc's with less powerful hardware and a crappier O.S.. My friend who only buys macs has had his motherboard replaced and his hard drive with in the first year...

I am not saying that macs aren't good for some people. But with a PC you get a much better bang for your $$ as far as hardware goes. Also PC's are much easier to repair your self and cost less to have repaired. Also macs are now using the same processors as PC's therefore there hardware is now pretty much the same.

I built my second pc in july, easy to do and if you buy quality parts, it lasts for a loooong time.

Yep, I build all my computers... I have one that has been running for over 5 years with out 1 replacement part. All you have to do is choose your parts wisely to begin with.

I repair/build computers as job on the side and for a hobby and IMHO dells are pretty much the lowest of low, although they are really cheap :) but that means you are getting really cheap parts.

Here are the (budget) brands I have had a good experience with:

Emachines ( now owned by gateway) I have had nothing but a great experience with these emachines. Although I have not had one since gateway bought them out.. I don't think any thing has changed though. The only thing that seems to go wrong with them is the power supply fails after about 2 or 3 years but replace that and you are golden :)

My family has owned 3 emachines and the first one ran flawlessly for 7 years and possible would have ran longer than that had I not upgraded the motherboard. The other 2 are still up and running.

Acer: Acer is a well known brand in Taiwan ( kind of Taiwan's IBM), with in the last 5 years or so they have been getting more and more popular in the us... they use very good hardware. But I have recently heard bad things about the customer support.. not sure how valid that claim is.

And thats all I can think of for now :)

-Mike

Sorry to hear about your computer man... I had a hard drive crash on my a few weeks ago.. it sure is a bummer.

Don't fall into their lies... Macs are over priced pc's with less powerful hardware and a crappier O.S.. My friend who only buys macs has had his motherboard replaced and his hard drive with in the first year...

I am not saying that macs aren't good for some people. But with a PC you get a much better bang for your $$ as far as hardware goes. Also PC's are much easier to repair your self and cost less to have repaired. Also macs are now using the same processors as PC's therefore there hardware is now pretty much the same.

Yep, I build all my computers... I have one that has been running for over 5 years with out 1 replacement part. All you have to do is choose your parts wisely to begin with.

I repair/build computers as job on the side and for a hobby and IMHO dells are pretty much the lowest of low, although they are really cheap :) but that means you are getting really cheap parts.

Emachines ( now owned by gateway) I have had nothing but a great experience with these emachines. Although I have not had one since gateway bought them out.. I don't think any thing has changed though. The only thing that seems to go wrong with them is the power supply fails after about 2 or 3 years but replace that and you are golden :)

My family has owned 3 emachines and the first one ran flawlessly for 7 years and possible would have ran longer than that had I not upgraded the motherboard. The other 2 are still up and running.

Acer: Acer is a well known brand in Taiwan ( kind of Taiwan's IBM), with in the last 5 years or so they have been getting more and more popular in the us... they use very good hardware. But I have recently heard bad things about the customer support.. not sure how valid that claim is.

-Mike

That's funny. I work for a company that only deals with Dell desktops and laptop. We have next to no issues whatsoever. I also build my own. I worked for CompUSA for almost 5 years. I've seen crap come in. HP, Compaq, eMachine, etc... All brands have their their own problems. Even Sony, Acer, and everything else you can think of. However, in all my years there HP and Compaq came in the most. With Emachines 2nd. We did service dell, however it was either out of warranty stuff or we delt with Dell for the customer, but they customer paid us for that. If you consider that in the past 2 1/2 years I've been at my company and the few Dell's that I've seen die I honestly think they are fine.

:huh: If Macs are so @!*%ty, how come I can leave my Powerbook G4 up and running for months at a time without any sort of slow-down, virus, spyware, issue whatsoever. How come the Powerbook boots up to the full OS from a complete shut down in 15 seconds flat? How come it comes out of sleep mode in 5 seconds flat?

If Macs are so inferior, why do I have to have 3 firewalls, 3 layers of spyware protection, and 3 layers of anti-virus protection on my Windows machine? If Macs are so inferior, why do I have to shut it down every night to avoid having it lock up on me? If Macs are so inferior, why does it take the Windows machine 3 entire minutes to boot up, and take almost a full minute to come out of sleep mode? If Macs are so inferior, how come I have never gotten a Virus on mine, but I've had my entire hard drive wiped out 3 times by Viruses on my Windows machne?

-Mike

:chairfall::lol:

I've had nothing but hunks of useless crap from these two companies. I had an Acer laptop that was given to me at work, and it lasted 3 months. It was about as top of the line as you could get in April of last year, and it couldn't even run AutoCAD. I've had two eMachines computers catch on FIRE! Yeah, a real quality product right there all right!

My home-built AMD PC has been running XP SP2 for over three years without many issues besides an occasional BSOD on bootup. I leave it running fulltime and the only thing I've had to replace was a video card with a bad fan. *shrug*

Macs have their good points, so do PC's. I don't care to learn a whole new OS, so the Mac I have is currently being used as a mouse stand beside my chair. ;)

Even though I build all my pc's I do have a PII ibm thinkpad and a PII dell latitude (both laptops) no issues with either except the batteries. I want a macbook for college next year. I'm taking the computer systems tech course!!

*getting off topic somewhat :P *

If you consider that in the past 2 1/2 years I've been at my company and the few Dell's that I've seen die I honestly think they are fine.

Your right, I shouldn't be harshing dells name that much... I own a dell latitude laptop that has been running for about 10 years now with hardly any problems. But as of late I have been very un-impressed with the quality of there budget laptops.

And the fact that they overcharge you for upgrades like ram when you buy them bothers me also... and the fact that they don't come with restore disks when you buy them.. you have to order them when you need them.

:huh: If Macs are so @!*%ty, how come I can leave my Powerbook G4 up and running for months at a time without any sort of slow-down, virus, spyware, issue whatsoever. How come the Powerbook boots up to the full OS from a complete shut down in 15 seconds flat? How come it comes out of sleep mode in 5 seconds flat?

Yes the powerbooks are nice machines, but they are over priced for what you get. I take the amount of money you spent on it and buy a pc that will have better hardware specs.

If Macs are so inferior, why do I have to have 3 firewalls, 3 layers of spyware protection, and 3 layers of anti-virus protection on my Windows machine? If Macs are so inferior, why do I have to shut it down every night to avoid having it lock up on me? If Macs are so inferior, why does it take the Windows machine 3 entire minutes to boot up, and take almost a full minute to come out of sleep mode? If Macs are so inferior, how come I have never gotten a Virus on mine, but I've had my entire hard drive wiped out 3 times by Viruses on my Windows machne?

:chairfall::lol:

I never said any thing about windows.... Linux is the way to be :)

I didn't say that Macs are horrible.. I am just saying don't believe the rumors that macs never die and that they are so much more reliable than Pc's. A good pc with quality hardware will be as or more reliable than a mac.

And the reason you can have less virus protection on macs is because they are less popular, therefore less viruses are made for them.

I've had nothing but hunks of useless crap from these two companies. I had an Acer laptop that was given to me at work, and it lasted 3 months. It was about as top of the line as you could get in April of last year, and it couldn't even run AutoCAD. I've had two eMachines computers catch on FIRE! Yeah, a real quality product right there all right!

lol...

And yes i agree that the computer I mentioned are not fantastic.. they are budget companies.. but they are the best 2 budget companies in my opinion. I have repaired hundreds of computers and emachines and accer are the ones that I get back for majore repairs the least amount. I am compareing them to brands like dell, hp and other brands.

Emachines won the best budget desktop for quite a few years in a row in pcworld magazine and consumer reports has always recommended them. I doubt that your computer will really on fire. Your power supply probably just smoked a cap.

Apple Makes some quality computers, I don't mean to offend any one here with macs. If you like em then buy em :) no skin off my back.

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

:offtopic:

:stickwack: Look at what you started Mr. P :lol:

Run it's the Po!

Yeah mr.p whats ur problem? ;)

I am afraid it was my "Don't fall into their lies." line that got it off topic :P I will stop posting now.. Hopefully I haven't upset you enough to receive the wrath of your cat-O-nine-tails. :stickwack:

-Mike

Well,

i've always heard that the D in Dell stands for disaster when refering to the desk tops.

I've heard lots of good things about the laptops though, my wife has one.

If you want a new laptop, i'd suggest toshiba. I've had 3 of them and they were all completely trouble free.

feel your pain man!

Mac Monkeys are 2 funny! :puterpunch:

Worst part of Dell's is the preload of crap.

I build my own personal machines; but order Dell's for work machines.

Not bad pricing, as my boss is a cheap Bass Turd; so I get the cheap Dell Dimensions, and actually haven't had any issues hardware wise.

Beats the crap out of Gateway!, now those were,are supa Crap (as is the Mac) can't really say what I feel about Mac's as Jim & 88 would beat me for saying bad "werds" again.

E-machines at Best Buy aren't as crappy as they were. (extended Warranty?!) smack the Mother Board with a taser every couple years to get a free upgrade(extended Wrrty)

Just CHEAP solutions that work for me at work where $500 is to much for a server! :wtf:

Haven't had to reload the 10 Dells or 4 e-machines yet (knock on wood!)

I built my second pc in july, easy to do and if you buy quality parts, it lasts for a loooong time.

I agree, this is the way to do it... Do some research and buy 80% technology (not the best and so there is time to find the flaws) from a good brand and you will wind up with a good computer. I had mine built to my spec and shipped to me 3 years ago for $700. Added a few fans, hard drives, a DVD burner, some ram and I can still upgrade the ram, vid card and processor (currently 128mb 4x AGP and 2.4 gig). It runs anything. CAD, video, any game...

why do I have to have 3 firewalls, 3 layers of spyware protection, and 3 layers of anti-virus protection on my Windows machine?

Thats because you go to those 'questionable' video sites and chat rooms... :)

Yes, Windows sucks, thats never been in question. But for the price of the Macs, is the difference worth it? My GF has had several major problems with hers (hardware failures, OS reinstalation, etc). I don't believe they have more processing power either. Just keep your Windows machine well protected, backed up and use it. (I scrub and reconfigure 1 of the HD's about once a year, currently running 3 OS's on 3 HD's) *shrug*

B

My laptop is a Compaq and the motherboard battery has died. It doesn't remember login info and PW's anymore, and the clock will actually tick backwards every once in a while if you watch the second hand. It's amazing. I tried taking it apart to replace the battery but that damn case will NOT come apart enough for me to get in there. The Compaq guys must have a case splitter tool or something. :P

That reminds me, I should look into getting replacement batteries for the battery on that thing...it lasts about an hour when it's not plugged in...

My laptop is a Compaq and the motherboard battery has died. It doesn't remember login info and PW's anymore, and the clock will actually tick backwards every once in a while if you watch the second hand. It's amazing. I tried taking it apart to replace the battery but that damn case will NOT come apart enough for me to get in there. The Compaq guys must have a case splitter tool or something. :P

That reminds me, I should look into getting replacement batteries for the battery on that thing...it lasts about an hour when it's not plugged in...

maybe your hands are too big? :chairfall: