Nitrogen in tires?

Ultrafinder

My mom leases a car from Toyota and under her contract tires are covered. They hit her up for mounting, balancing and alignment. thats fine, I understand. But they also charged her $40 for a nitro fill in the tires. I flipped out so-to-speak. They guy actually said its gauranteed air pressure for the life of the tires because, reg. air has moisture in it and will seap out. also said the nitrogen doesnt heat up like air? therefore wont expand and contract. Is this some crap from a dealer?

nitro molecules are of a different structure and don't pass through the rubber like O2 but i feel that to be a total luxury.. if you do a bunch of air-downs then i surely don't see a point. in your mom's case.. well, that boils down to money.. if she can't afford it then she shouldn't be doing it.

But you have to pay for the machine sumhow. I agree that it is kind of pricey but this is the trend that tires are taking, and in the not so distance future all new cars will be required to be filled with nitrogen from the factory. Nitrogen doesn't leak like oxygen because it has larger molecules and it is a more stable gas that is not as affected by temperature (doesn't expand and contract like oxygen).

I'm with 88. I'll run air, please. I'm handy enough to check my tire pressure every 3 months or so and adjust as necessary... ;)

This is just something for people who have no ability/desire to pay the slightest attention to the maintainance of their vehicle. To each, their own, but I have no use for it.

We have a nitrogen 'generator' at work, they are not that expensive.

http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/NGEN/NA4-60

Charging $40 for a fill up, if you did 1 car every day for a year, would pay for the unit and $10k in profit. CRAP, I'm going to start a nitrogen tire filling chain!!! :blink:

it is a more stable gas that is not as affected by temperature

Ok, so whats the thermal expansion rate of atmosphere VS nitrogen per mole (22.4liters) ?

Remember... air is already 78% nitrogen...

It contains roughly 78% nitrogen, (normally inert except upon electrolysis by lightning[1] and in certain biochemical processes of nitrogen fixation), 21% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.04% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases, in addition to about 3% water vapor

B

Well, I would have thought the same a few months ago, but my dad bought new tires for his car, and for an extra $10 CDN, they put in Nitrogen, instead of air. Over the winter he did not loose 1 PSI......his air pressure did not change, at all.......Granted, it's only about 6 months of testing so far, but I am impressed at this point.

At the tire shop that I go to they fill your tires with nitrogen for free when you buy a set of tires from them. You even get cool little green air nozzle cap thingamadoodles to let everyone know you're special and have nitrogen filled tires.

The reason for running nitrogen is becuase it doesn't react to temperature changes as much. It's more noticable on aircraft, or heavy equipment, when the air temps warm up or cool down the tire pressure is affected, and becomes a safety issue. I run nitrogen in my tires only because I have access to a self generating nitrogen cart we use to fill aircraft tires. I wouldn't go out paying for it though, as long as you keep an eye on your tire pressure, there's no need.

hahaha sc :D

simon, my tire shop always fills mine with nitrogen regadless. they do seem to stay longer at the desired psi, but like b said, i really have no issue to bump the psi once in a while anyway.

OH, nor do I, or does my dad.....since it was only $10, and he was curious, he did it. I'd say for a car driven by a woman like my ex, who couldn't be trusted to track 5000kms between oil changes, it'd be great. For anyone else, it's just an added expense.

Thats not nice Dan
hes still fussing about Pezzy stealing his Bumper, and to add some Vinager to the Piss, Simon now has that Bumper as well...

he will get over it... sooner or later :hide: