Nice Box!

arctic_mark

Thought I'd take the opportunity to brag a bit in public 'cos I'm really pleased with the way it turned out!

Built my own custom draws in a box in my trunk, took a while but looks great and works fantastic. Most of my offroad kit can fit in there and still leave the back free.

Mark

P6182767.jpg

P6182770.jpg

P6182771.jpg

P6182770small.jpg

Edited by RedPath88
Restored Photo 2, the only one that I could find in the OP's Photobucket account

question.....what kind of pathfinder decal do you have on the sides of your rig??? can you take a close up of it?? and did you get it custom made??? and yes, i would love to see some box plans....

-sam

Thanks for the positive feed-back!

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Took a bit of work as it was a trial and error job, but I certainly can get back in there and measure things up and draw some plans up and a "how to" write up and post them here.

As for the Pathfinder decals on the side, they where on there when I got the rig two years ago, so I don't know if they were stock or not. She looks a bit different now, 3" SL, mudders on, and big old-school Nissan decals on front doors (to cover the nasty scratches I got in the bush!). Oh yeah, the dented rear quarter is another new addition!

Pretty much all of the materials came from the Home Depot including the plywood for the base, lid and draw bottoms, and the timber for the verticle sections.

The top is covered with that ribbed vynol floor matting that comes by the foot in Home Depot and Canadian Tire etc, attached with contact cement and black carpet tacks.

Because the top covers the wheel arches, there was a bit of dead space on either side of the draw so I have hinged lids here so I have extra storage space. This includes relocating the holder for the stock bottle jack as well.

The runners, though, were not from Home Depot. These are high load full extension runners that lock closed. I got these from Lee Valley Tools in Canada but you'd probably get them in any good hardwear store. I've since addedd extra catches to lock the draw in place as I found when clibing steep hills they tended to open and bang against the rear door.

Anyway, I'll get a full write-up together over the weekend with some plans and post it here soon.

Thanks

Mark

Sorry I haven't posted a how-to yet. Been fighting the flu over the last week or so. Soon as I'm OK again I'll get on to it!!

As for providing a level platform for sleeping and "other things" ;) , well that was one reason I put the draw unit in. I'm working on some inserts that fill in the space when the rear seats are down to bring it up to level and provide additional storage space. They're going to bolt with wing nuts onto the back of the draw unit.

Having tried sleeping in theback of my Pathy, I found it too short to be comfortable. With the front seats pulled forward it was long enough but with a massive great hole where you want your head to be! With the permenant draw unit and temporary inserts, it should be completely flat.

As for cost of the unit so far, at a guess, I'd say under $100 Canadian.

Mark