A question for our Aussie friends

The Drift

Hey guys, as I sit in my office dealing with the daily grind I decided that there is no way I will live the rest of my life living in this country, adhering to our BS politics, working a conventional 9-5 just to live.

SO

I decided I need to move to Australia as soon as I finish school. I'd like to do something hands on, adventerous, whatever. Just anything that will afford me a decent lifestyle in a gorgeous country, without having to adhere to the white collar BS that is America.

Any suggestions on what to do, how to go about this, etc? :D

Yeah, I'm hoping he shows up.

I'd love to just earn enough there to live and have some nice things, but doing an unconvential job and getting to enjoy the outdoors.

Interesting...not sure what you mean by "have some nice things" and doing an "unconventional" job. Is Australia the new Seattle?? Is that where people go when they finish school?? :D

Interesting...not sure what you mean by "have some nice things" and doing an "unconventional" job. Is Australia the new Seattle?? Is that where people go when they finish school?? :D

A Patrol, A Grass hut, and like 15 wives...they do allow polygomy there right?

lol...search australia immigration on google. The higher your degree, the better your chances of them sayin, "move on in mate" Just watch out for jack jumpers and other nasty bugs. That's why I was looking at New Zealand, until I realized they had no economy. haha.

Yeah, I've also seriously considered Australia - and still do. I am a degreed engineer so they were willing to consider me...

About the only thing I don't like is the overabundance of hyper-venemous animals. I mean, we have rattlesnakes and jellyfish up here, but compared to browns and taipans and tigers and irukandji and boxes, oh my.

Just WHAT did you aussies do to mother nature to piss her off like that?!

I heard that there is a job going at Australia zoo. Yes, that wqs poor taste.. May Steve Irwin RIP.

What can I say... We have a skill (trades mainly) shortage here because the Australian federal Government dropped the ball.

Your chances of finding meaningful employment are very high. I say apply for your Visa and come on down.

As for a jack jumper??? I have never heard of one.

I heard that there is a job going at Australia zoo. Yes, that wqs poor taste.. May Steve Irwin RIP.

What can I say... We have a skill (trades mainly) shortage here because the Australian federal Government dropped the ball.

Your chances of finding meaningful employment are very high. I say apply for your Visa and come on down.

As for a jack jumper??? I have never heard of one.

Rock on man. I finish my B.S. in Networking and Communications Management next year. By then I also will have gathered some great experience (1 year so far) at the 3rd largest technology company in the world.

I honestly have a feeling I'll be visiting you soon VSicks.

My faith in this country is fading fast, along with my will to spend the next 40 years of my life busting my ass only to retire to a job flipping burgers so I can afford my depends and prescription medications.

come on down, mate!

trade shortage for sure, as steveo stated :beer:

;)

by all means if you feel like improving telstra, they need all the help they can get!!!! :laugh:

but remember we drive on the other side of the road :lol:

Edited by sw

lol drift.. get out of chicago and breath some air dude.. lol.. explore US.. there is plenty of country still and plenty of unconventional ways.. canada is there also and so are other southern places. i am not trying to discourage you but i think you're being blinded by the sun and surf that you must have missed the parts of the australian politics/laws that are maybe even worse then ours here.. not knocking AU in general but at least read some of v6's posts or google some and you won't find such a peachy fuzzy picture. but the rock is beconing me too so one day i shall at least drive around the island. :)

That's why I was looking at New Zealand, until I realized they had no economy. haha.

they do have an industry in the unconventional.. for sure.. definitely on my list of someday visits. lol.. the real hippies have always traveled there.

but remember we drive on the other side of the road

lol... roads? hahahahahaha right. :D

lol drift.. get out of chicago and breath some air dude.. lol.. explore US.. there is plenty of country still and plenty of unconventional ways.. canada is there also and so are other southern places. i am not trying to discourage you but i think you're being blinded by the sun and surf that you must have missed the parts of the australian politics/laws that are maybe even worse then ours here.. not knocking AU in general but at least read some of v6's posts or google some and you won't find such a peachy fuzzy picture. but the rock is beconing me too so one day i shall at least drive around the island. :)

lol... roads? hahahahahaha right. :D

It's not even needing to get out of Chicago. I love the Chi, and consider it one of the greatest cities around. I love the city life, and sometimes I really enjoy being yuppie scum lol.

I just cannot see myself being one of the sheep for the next 40-50 years until I retire old and decrepit. Our cost of living is rising twice as fast as our wages, our politicians are for @!*% with no viable candidates worth voting for, the entire world hates us. I dunno, I'm patriotic through and through, but I've just been developing more and more angst towards the status quo and I think I just need to get out and do something different.

I'm sure a lot has changed in 10 years, but I almost went over to work on a station there, my father made some friends down there and they offered for me to go work for them (sometimes wish I had). At that time you needed to be sponsored, as in, have the job waiting for you when you applied for a work visa to be able to get it approved. Guess they had too many dead beats comming in.

I was working in Italy repairing a piece of equipment with an australian guy. By the time we finished the repair, he offered me a job. Problem was, he whent into depth about the drought you guys have been having. I dunno if I could handle it. I grew up in the west coast rain forests of BC. Right now, I don't own a nozzle for the end of my garden hose. In between rinse cycles on my pathy, I toss the hose on the ground and let it run. Buddy was saying you would get a huge fine for that in Oz.

Other then that it would be pretty cool. Travel is great for broadening your mind and breaking down your stereotypes of other people!

Every country has its problems. Some are just worse than others. The US is heading towards a major economic disaster in my opinion. The stock market is inflating itself again, the real estate market is still inflated, the dollar is dropping like a brick...just wait.

I hope you guys aren't firearms owners if you want to live there. With all of our nation's problems we still enjoy the greatest freedoms the world has ever known.

I'm not trying to stir things up. Just adding my $.02 :)

fordsho90 Posted on Oct 30 2006, 10:53 AM

The grass isnt always greener on the other side on the fence my friend; just remeber that.

I have found that it may actually be greener in different area's than you are currently used to, But they all use the same Fertilizer....