Trunk Hits Head

JesseLivingston

Has anyone figured out an igeneous way to keep trunk open in the cold? I was thinking something like on the old screen doors? Any info would be appreciated as it closes on my head every morning! Sometimes if I "pump it up" like a dozen times it will maybe stay, usually just long enough to get my head underneath!!!

A subject that gets covered nearly every winter and some times in between too.

*Buy new struts (check www.rockauto.com for good prices)

*use a broom stick

*pair of vice grips on one of the strut rods once up

*open the window before the hatch door (it counters the weight of the door)

*some others I can't think of :D

this has been covered, vise grips was a common answer on many threads.

bending the strut slightly so it has more friction...

newer struts will have a better charge in them when cold. 10F the other day and mine stayed all the way open.

I got a good pair from a junker at the junkyard for mine. Only for the whole gate though. the glass I can't find any decent ones. Both pairs i've gotten have been bad.

I'd prefer to just put the new on and they're fine for a few years.

• 4 years later...

The lift gates are a simple replacement about 30ish total on Amazon, I also bought the lift gates for the glass about 15 a pair..

Very difficult removal of the glass ones, I am still looking for an answer on how to remove the old ones as there seems not to be a way to take them off the ball joint, unlike the replacements.

I'm thinking of either using a Dremel to make a slot on the outside and removing it by wrench and a flat screw driver, or cutting off the outside sheath off the old ball socket (via Dremel again) and then replacing with the supplied new one..

Anyone have a better idea?

I see this section of the forums posts don't seem to go too far back into the past..So I have to wonder if the answer may have existed here once upon a time.

91 Path

• 1 month later...

Anyone ever remove the old shocks on the glass, I still haven't done it. I know its possible and has been done before a guy on Amazon review listed it as difficult didn't give details and I didn't get an answer from the guy. Another one answered but he had the shop do it and didn't see it take place.

Yep, did my glass struts a while back, IIRC there's a little metal clip over the ball-end that you have to pull off with a screwdriver. I seem to remember the kit coming with new ball ends for the window mounts, so you might not even need to deal with the clips there. The new struts will actually lift the window on their own on warm days, especially if it's been up recently. All I have to do is hit the window popper switch.

• 1 year later...

Sadly no metal clip on the OEM lifter, I will make time and post a picture. Perhaps I am missing something.

Clips are as bright as day on the replacements/

Edited by Baldone