Oil Filter Relocation Install

Mr. Pickles

Here are some pics. Hope to follow with the header install, as they've been sitting in the other room for almost a year. I don't remember the specs/model #'s, I can't seem to find the paperwork, but its the same as Slick's cause she's a doll and hooked me up with all of the above. :)

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

oil3.jpg

oil4.jpg

nice job...I should dig out that ole relocation kit I have laying in the parts box and hook it up...but I really like the oil filter access with the headers on there its a lot easier to get in and out...

Just thought of some things...I would maybe butterfly band the 2 oil lines at the top where they could rub together and I cant really tell the clearances on the manifolds but i'd make sure she was good and tie banded back and possibly had some heat shielding added to those hoses so you dont have to worry about blistering and busting an oil hose...that would sucks...

Edited by unccpathfinder

nice pickles. Did you have any trouble putting the adapter plate on where the old filter used to be? It was probably easier for you because you already have a 3" b-lift

nice pickles. Did you have any trouble putting the adapter plate on where the old filter used to be? It was probably easier for you because you already have a 3" b-lift

I installed on both lifted and stock. The stock was more difficult, but still pretty easy.

Though it looks like a nice place and clean install, you are going to make a mess when you go to change it with it installed like that. :togo:

I picked up a couple right angle fittings from corner auto parts store so I could mount the filter vertical. 2 bene's:

1) Less mess! After the filter is removed, I get about a teaspoon of oil dribbline out of the mount. Easy to catch with a couple paper towels placed under the filter before removal.

2) I can pre-fill the filter so the engine gets oil pressure almost immediately after start up.

Though it looks like a nice place and clean install, you are going to make a mess when you go to change it with it installed like that. :togo:

Better than the stock location and getting oil all over the starter, though :) Plus it looks like there is some room to put a pie-pan under to catch the oil while changing.

Edited by DryBear

Ok, save me an hour of searching please. Can I do this with my vq35? I checked summit, they don't list a kit, but this part number is for a "universal" fit. I wonder if i can even find a place to mount it. Anyone else done it yet? thanks for any help... :suicide:

Better than the stock location and getting oil all over the starter, though :) Plus it looks like there is some room to put a pie-pan under to catch the oil while changing.

No denile of that, just if it were mounted more verticle it would have less spillage when changed.

I picked up a couple right angle fittings from corner auto parts store so I could mount the filter vertical. 2 bene's:

1) Less mess! After the filter is removed, I get about a teaspoon of oil dribbline out of the mount. Easy to catch with a couple paper towels placed under the filter before removal.

2) I can pre-fill the filter so the engine gets oil pressure almost immediately after start up.

yup. my relo kit is in almost the exact position Mr P's is (just reverse direction) and i unbolt the filter & bracket (from fender bracket) for removal, very little mess, and i put 3/4 of a quart of oil in the filter upon replacement.

also, in regard to the concern about heat damage, i have had my relo kit on for 2+ years with no heat damage/problems, nor any rubbing of the lines. :wiggle:

Edited by Slick

Thanks everybody. Couple notes:

-although it doesn't look like it, yes, there is plenty of room underneath to clean up any dribble

-I liked that spot cause its right up top and next to the fender, easy to reach with the lift

-the angle I went with was trying to get close to that of the stock angle, just because

-yes, I do need to go back and secure the lines. There's clearance between the exhaust, and they barely move, but still its piece of mind. Plus, I've got headers to install at some point.

-finally, um... er... sorry, beer fridge is now empty!

:tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be better to use 2 full size ph8a type filter than the shorties if theres room for it?

well decided to go with a couple on M1 shorties :wiggle:

dual.jpg

dual1.jpg

Lemme know what you guys think

Edited by PATHRIDER

• 9 months later...
Would it be better to use 2 full size ph8a type filter than the shorties if theres room for it?

well decided to go with a couple on M1 shorties :wiggle:

dual.jpg

dual1.jpg

Lemme know what you guys think

Nice duel install Pathrider.

I would really like to know where you attached it, and what kind of braket you used?

I really like the 90 degree hose adaptors? Not sure what kind to get.

Also, after all this time running with this setup, does it cause a mess when you change filters?

Have you noticed any oil pressure changes?

What are the yellow sleeves on your hoses?

I have a duel filter kit, and am currently thinking of installing it somewhere by the frame, but i am afraid of damaging my filters when off roading.

Any thoughts?

cheers,

al

Edited by AlMac

I have a duel filter kit, and am currently thinking of installing it somewhere by the frame, but i am afraid of damaging my filters when off roading.

Any thoughts?

cheers,

al

Find a spot where it fits, won't get damaged, and you can easily access it. That's about as much though as I can provide.

Almost a year later, no issues or leaks whatsoever. The old girl takes about 4 1/2 quarts now, which is great in my book, as the stock 3 5/8 is to tight a tolerance in my book, especially if you use any oil at all. Soon after the swap, I dropped in some Restore, and then switched to full synthetic. Haven't looked back, oil changes are quick, all is good.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Any recommendations on a kit to buy Pickles? I'd LOVE to do this myself!

Single or Dual filter better for our trucks?

I chose the duel for better cooling/filtration, however because of limiting mounting options, i'm kinda wishing i had bought a single!

peace

al

• 2 weeks later...

guess im just being fussy.

i dont like the idea of "side mounting" the filters, because i don't want a mess when changing filters.

when i actually get around to it, i think ill be looking for a place under the frame.

i figure if im down there to pull the pan plug.. i might as well put the filters down there somewhere to speed up the work.

peace

al

guess im just being fussy.

i dont like the idea of "side mounting" the filters, because i don't want a mess when changing filters.

when i actually get around to it, i think ill be looking for a place under the frame.

i figure if im down there to pull the pan plug.. i might as well put the filters down there somewhere to speed up the work.

peace

al

just put a plastic shopping bag around the filter while you unscrew it if you don't want to spill a drop.

just put a plastic shopping bag around the filter while you unscrew it if you don't want to spill a drop.

yup, that's what i do. i make more mess draining my oil lol.