Shampoo

John Boy

I've had some pretty good results with a spray on shampoo made by Prestone. Its the kind you spray on and brush out with the top. The rag I use to to dry the seats off usually comes out real dirty from all the grime freed up by the brush. The brush is crap but it works. I think I got it at a NAPA store. Its in a red can with red "brush" top. It got the coffee and iced tea stains out of my passenger seat, as well as the general dog funk and sweat smell that accumulates in the summer. I've had good results too with a device called the little green steam machine. It's a portable steam cleaner, worked great on my wife's Toyota.

good luck

I've had some pretty good results with a spray on shampoo made by Prestone. Its the kind you spray on and brush out with the top. The rag I use to to dry the seats off usually comes out real dirty from all the grime freed up by the brush. The brush is crap but it works. I think I got it at a NAPA store. Its in a red can with red "brush" top. It got the coffee and iced tea stains out of my passenger seat, as well as the general dog funk and sweat smell that accumulates in the summer. I've had good results too with a device called the little green steam machine. It's a portable steam cleaner, worked great on my wife's Toyota.

good luck

that prestone stuff works great it took the oil stains out of the rug that a maintenace man tracked into one of my apts. pssd it took some work but it all came out

What about using something like a small Bissel shampoo/vacuum?

It sprays on a detergent and then sucks everything up.

I just realized my passenger seat has this funky stuff in it and sprayed some Simple Green on and scrubbed a little with a terry cloth. WHOA!!! Scary how dirty it was.

Hopefully in the next weekend I'll use the Bissel. Wll post results.

The thing with my rear seats is they are giving off a mildew like smell. I think someone put something very wet on the seats and there badly stained and giving off a funky smell even after scrubbing the **** out of them. I see two bottom rear seats at the junk yard for $50

when i did my 87 i used a bottle of resolve and a bissle with the brush attachment...pulled my seats out...sprayed them down used a brush and scrubbed it in and used the vac to pull the stains out (coffee/smoke stains) i did each seat 2-3 times and the carpet 2 times and it got them mostly out u could still see some of them faintly but def cleaned them up a lot more than they were

for ure rear seat did u try fabreezing it to kill the odor?

JB-you might try taking out the offending seats and letting them bake in the sun for a few days. That might kill off some of the moldy smell. You also may want to try some sort of "organic" stain and smell remover, by organic I mean the source of the odor not the product. The sell it at pet store and sometimes the supermarket, It works for dog pee and such , I dont see why it wouldn't work for moldy funk, its called Natures Miracle. ;)

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I sprayed it down with febreeze today and I'll see what results I get from that. What's funny is the smell got stronger after I scrubbed them, maybe the bacteria odors were starting to lift out, may need a couple of scrubings.

Well here are my observations after using the Bissel.

Oh my God!!! The stuff that was collected after the vacuuming was solid brown! :o

Like unccpathfinder said, you've got to do your seats using this process several times. I just didn't have the energy to do it as many times as I should have but I feel I've gotten my seats AND my carpets reasonably clean. Until you shampoo your seats and carpets you don't realize the amount of dirt and grime that's in there.

• 2 weeks later...
when i did my 87 i used a bottle of resolve and a bissle with the brush attachment...pulled my seats out...sprayed them down used a brush and scrubbed it in and used the vac to pull the stains out (coffee/smoke stains) i did each seat 2-3 times and the carpet 2 times and it got them mostly out u could still see some of them faintly but def cleaned them up a lot more than they were

for ure rear seat did u try fabreezing it to kill the odor?

QFT.

As a hobbyist detailer I will tell you this is the best way, without using a $1k extractor. Resolve and a shop-vac works wonders. Bonus points if you remove all of the seats and center console, you'll be surprised as to what you can clean.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I sprayed it down with febreeze today and I'll see what results I get from that. What's funny is the smell got stronger after I scrubbed them, maybe the bacteria odors were starting to lift out, may need a couple of scrubings.

Febreeze is simply a masking chemical. As the previous poster said, get one of the enzyme odor killers (Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution are both good) from the pet store. If they'll kill the smell from a male cat's spray, they'll kill the mildew odor.

The secret is making sure the source of the smell has been thoroughly saturated with the enzyme.

Febreeze is simply a masking chemical. As the previous poster said, get one of the enzyme odor killers (Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution are both good) from the pet store. If they'll kill the smell from a male cat's spray, they'll kill the mildew odor.

The secret is making sure the source of the smell has been thoroughly saturated with the enzyme.

Thanks...............Lazy me has been just looking for two bottom seats. LOL............ I also wonder if maybe the smell is coming from the foam cushions.