Forgive me father for I have sinned...

wheelmanLS1

I've destroyed a Pathfinder. Actually two. Strike me down, Oh Lord, strike me down! But it wasn't my fault. A car three cars ahead of me decides to take a left turn but cannot make it because of heavy traffic. Which in most cases would be fine except she didn't turn on her blinker. So the red Mazda behind her stopped kind of short and the silver R50 Pathfinder behind the Mazda stopped short but safely and I stopped safely behind the silver Pathfinder. I looked in the rear-view mirror and everything kind of went in slow motion. "Oh @!*%," I said calmly. A red F-150 came blazing in at what I thought was 25 or so but later confirmed at 35 mph.

New paragraph. So he hits me dead-on and I get thrown back into the seat and the coin drawer goes flying... change all over the place. I (the Pathfinder), gets propelled into the silver R50, at which point I (my body) gets flung forward again, and he gets shoved into the Mazda. I got the worst of it because of the 3 actual hits, 2 were on me. One in the back, and one in the front. I am healthy, thank Allah for seatbelts.

And I, the police, and insurance decided it wasn't because of my tinted taillights that he couldn't stop because he actually had a lot of room to slow down but he never even hit the brake until he actually hit. He was texting on his cell phone. For example, if there had been a refridgerater sitting in the road most of you guys would stop regardless of whether or not the refridgerater's taillights were visible or not. While I do feel bad about my taillights, he came in so fast that it didn't make a difference. But lesson has been learned, I will never tint them that dark again (I had been meaning to go back and fix them by not putting so many coats on but never got around to it).

Insurance totaled it and valued my Pathfinder at 4780 and I had guessed 4800 (Nice guess, wheelman). I'm buying it back for 700 and selling stuff off it. I've already narrowed my new car to a Acura CL or a Civic, both of which get great mileage. My delivery car kind of crapped out on me the week before so I'm out of two cars within a couple weeks. Here's my delivery car for those of you who are interested:

Toyota Tercel

Possible replacement:

45_12.JPG

Damage:

05060617436nd.jpg

It doesn't look that bad in the picture, but the bumper had been pushed into the wheel and it couldn't be turned one way or the other and the accident assistence guys couldn't bend it back out with their mighty muscles and crow bars. By the way, my oil filter relocation was completely fine... surprise, surprise! Oh, and the engine compartment had been pushed in and the battery had been pushed back. Radiator I think got cracked... it was leaking antifreeze. And the back had pretty much been protected by the tire rack... it would of been a few replacement stuff and a little body work on the tailgate.

u F-ed up 2 pathys...you are going to hell....haha

BUT befoore u go, im glad you are okay. im sorry about your pathy. and hope u get another one...you know if it was anything else...you woulda been hurt real bad.

anyways good luck with youre new "rigs" or cars or whatever you get. lol.

Edited by max_stryker

As long as you are fine the rest is crap...

2 Pathy's in one day... That sucks... I got into a fender bender on thursday. Well Fender-Bender for me, accident for the Lexus I HIT. (totally my fault)...

I make another thread when I get home sunday and post pictures of the damage.

Edited by rmd0311

hope u get another one...you know if it was anything else...you woulda been hurt real bad.

Yeah, funny how my tiny little Tercel wasn't driveable anymore. I was delivering in the Pathfinder that afternoon.

I didn't get any pictures of the R50, but it was relatively new... a 2004 and it was to be repaired.

take it to a friends house and FIX IT!! you can do eeeeet! hell.. you just got a new tranny in there.. it's a beautiful pathy dude.... FIX IT!! too nice to tear up n part out. as long as the frame is straight.. i'd give it a go...... :sniff:

and I, the police, and insurance decided it wasn't because of my tinted taillights that he couldn't stop

when u texted me after u confirmed it wasnt our brake job i was like ohh hell some1 didnt see his tail lights hope he doesnt get a ticket but they weren't that hard to see

and i think it'd be good to drop it here at the house i have to call foils and see if they'll pick it up for free (they might even pay u for the frame and body but i know everything but the metal has to go which isnt a problem) and if u decide to still part her out we can strip it completly of everything in a weeked and tag it and store it in the garage...just turn the driveway into a pathy chop shop (always wanted to do that :D)

Edited by unccpathfinder

Oh damn I forgot to even mention that aspect of the story. John (unccpathfinder) and I had just finished our brake overhaul on my Pathfinder. Cross-drilled rotors, metal-matrix pads, new calipers, new stainless steel brake lines, brake master cylinder. My mechanic kept pointing me in the wrong direction as to why my pedal was soggy and we just kept on replacing parts. Still never figured it out but evidently we did a good enough job for me to stop in time.

Chop shop is an awesome idea. Or chop driveway, whatever you have room for. Now we can only sell what's left as metal, nothing but? Damn that's more work than I anticipated. I feel like we'll be dumping a lot of unwanted stuff off Asbury chapel.

im going to call them and check...i dont mind stripping it down and all the parts can chill in the garage for a month or so and throw it on here to see what people want and if it doesnt go we can try ebay and then if not it can go to the trash

we could strip the whole truck in less than 2 days esp if i buy the motor and ecu and harness for the 87 it'll pretty much have to be stripped anyways

most jy's i know of wont take a car if the motor/tranny is missing so i figued FOILS (metal yard pays pretty good for metal and know they do pickups so if they would pick it up but if not then a saws-all would cut the body down enough to take it down in a truck and the frame would be the only thing left and that can be handled (maybe some1 with a bad frame whose close would want to come and pick it up on a flatbed to replace theirs)

but i'll do some calling around to jy's and foils and see what the deal is and then when u find out all the details just gimmie a call and we'll go from there (im leaving tomorrow for the beach until next sun b/c i gotta get some fishing in B4 entering the "real world")

my 95 suffered similar damage when I killed the jeep. They wanted to total it at about 3800 but that was based on a 70% of value (insurance pricks). I got the adjuster to come down on stuff and come in just abrely under the 'total' point then I had my body shop fix it and submit the supplimental bill tothe ins co. Total cost was over 5 grand but I got it back. Actual parts only ran about 1500, the rest was labor. I'm sure you could find a shop that would piece-out the work and do things as needed without doing the entire job. Example... Do all the removal yourself (saves on labor)... buy your own parts...take it in and have them weld on a new inner fender liner and straighten sh!t... the rest is bolt-on and you can do that yourself. Throw in a couple hundred dollar paint job (doesn't have to be graeat, it's 11 years old). You should come out with a fixed truck and a spare 2 grand in your pocket.

If you opt not to... I need that stupid console hinge with the cupholders... mine broke. :)

good luck.

Sorry about the crash man, at least you're OK.....

I've also got an '02 3.2TL. They're really nice, good to drive, reliable, but a little more $$$ on the upkeep. I love mine-highlly recommended.

:beer:

Wheel,

I cried....

Now if you were alittle closer we could talk Doors and Wheels...

I am glad that your are no worse for ware

**Pays Hommage to the Black XE

Good call on wearing your seatbelt...glad to see you are okay. Also glad to hear of the outside spare serving a purpose in a collision, always wondered what would happen.

Also a good call on buying it back from insurance. Does John want to buy it from you? I don't want it but it sounds like you can make some $$$ parting it..

Lastly, go for the 2.3 CL. Good cars, good gas mileage. Really not much not to like.

Does John want to buy it from you?

Nah. I think the arrangement is that I get to park the Pathfinder in his driveway for maybe a month and he gets to yank off free parts for his own during that time.

Man, that sucks. If that's all the damage, you should be able to repair/replace for pretty cheap really. As far as damage, I had pretty much identical in a wreck, and it was repaired through insurance for like $3500. If anything, get it back cheap and part the old girl.

Good choice on a possible replacement. We've got a 97 CL as the "other car." The Ms. drives it every day, and I drive it often, and its a sweet little car. Before the Pathy, I had a wicked Prelude, but the CL satisfies fine day to day with a good ride and great mileage.

Cool. That's the year I was looking at. Now if I remember correctly, Mrs. Pickles doesn't drive a stick does she? While 5-speed Cl's aren't common that's what I had in mind. I'd much rather have a manual Civic than an automatic CL.

i had a 98 cl 3.0. it was my bachelor car. the 2.3 come with a manual, but i wanted the v6. loved that car. would definitely recommend one. i sold it for a 96 grand cherokee v8 liimited just before my son was born. loved that truck too, but it had tons issues in the 2 yrs i owned it. sold that and got my 01 pathy.