105,000 Mile Service

kmgar99

I just got the Pathy back..... after they took an arm, leg and one testicle ($1300), here's what they did....

Timing Belt

Water Pump

Cam Seals

Timing Belt Tensioner

Upper and lower raditor hoses

Oil pressure sensor (Leaking bad)

All three belts

Tranny fluid change

Oil change

Rear Diff fluid change

I watched about 95% of all the work....Its the dealership ive bought four other Nissans and many...many parts from, so i'm no stranger to them.

I would've tackled the water pump myself if i had more time....it didn't look that difficult, as long as you have a lift and a garage with an oil change pit...oh ya one more thing....three mechanics working on it at once....

BTW...They started work on it around 8am and i was driving away at 4:45pm the same day.....Anyone in San Diego....I highly recommend Mossy Nissan in Oceanside.....Good peeps...

i'm pretty sure 88 has done this in one day on his gravel driveway.

True -- but 88 is a driveway mechanic GOD to most of us ;)

I'm sure if I was to launch into all that on my pathy tomorrow it wouldn't be done for a week or 2, not without much help bought with beer, pizza and smoke.

Edited by Harbinger

I'm sure if I was to launch into all that on my pathy tomorrow it wouldn't be done for a week or 2, not without much help bought with beer, pizza and smoke.

:lol: me too. takes me forever.. puff, puff, turn... puff, puff, turn ;):D

That's my motto! Nothing can be done without Beer, burritos, and smoke (Not anymore I quit the smoke thing)

Holy crap. That's a lot of money man. $1300 US right? Time to start working on things yourself and save about $800 out of that.

I know! But i have no time anymore! I work way to much and way too far away!

Holy crap. That's a lot of money man. $1300 US right? Time to start working on things yourself and save about $800 out of that.

More like $1000 of that, just did most all of that to my 93 a month ago for about $250 in parts and fluids.

Yep all of that can be done at home (if time & skill permits)

Timing Belt

Water Pump

Cam Seals

Timing Belt Tensioner

Upper and lower raditor hoses

All three belts

Those are all easily combined into the process of changing the water pump

Tranny fluid change

Oil change

Rear Diff fluid change

Those are all basically the same and can be done together as well

*If it is an auto then it will be a littler more involved*

Oil pressure sensor (Leaking bad)
If you can change a spark plug, you can change that

Doesn't matter if you "can" do it if you don't have the time or inclination. Some people just have different preferences.

Sounds like a full day's work to me! I've done ONLY the t-belt in a day. I left the water pump on and of course I didn't change all the fluids or do the oil pressure sensor, so they beat me hands down. ;)

I've got the T-belt/waterpump swap down to 2hrs (electric fan saves a bunch of time there). once you are torn down that far, aside from the timing covers just install all new parts.

Tranny is much easier to get to on a lift, but if you have enough suspension lift/tire you can crawl under the truck and be comfy enough to do it. I did my tranny filter in my service, couldn't drop the pan completely because of the exhaust, but manuvered it just enough to reach all the filter bolts and dump the littl bit of fluid that didn't drain as well as clean the fuzzy magnet ;) .

i've only attempted t-belt, H2o pump, hoses, t'stat and belts in a day. ya know.. gotta find yer rythm first.. then have a smoke.. then change the radio station.. then wander off for a phone call.. then another smoke.. drink... B)

however.. i can shred a motor down to the bare block and outta the pathy inna day :blink:

Skills wise....i could have done all of it....Time wise...No Way! I work Wayyyyy too much and too much going on at home....I was quoted double the price for all that work at several private garages...so i dont think it was that bad, especially when they were done in one day.

I did order new exhaust manifolds (both are cracked) so i will be tackling that job in the next month or two.

however.. i can shred a motor down to the bare block and outta the pathy inna day

gimmie about 2 hrs and i'll have it completly stripped heh...took a grandprix motor apart in the back of a minivan in less than an hr it was awsome

i've taken the radiator and all that crap off i can get to the water pump in about 45 mins get it all back on and together in about 4 total...im really quick in taking things apart but putting them back together i tend to take my time and dont get in any big rush...

also the beers have been adding up by now so that slows down the pace

gimmie about 2 hrs and i'll have it completly stripped heh...took a grandprix motor apart in the back of a minivan in less than an hr it was awsome

:blink:

*Not going to ask why

:lol:

*Not going to ask why

b/c my roommate has no confidence in my mechanic ability and he put a cam (after trying to drive it to atlanta and then turn around and drive it back the guy who did it messed it up completly and the dealer redid it for like $3k after i advised him not to do it) in his car but neglected to do vavle springs

so he's going down I-85 running about 80 and it starts running like crap so he manages to make it back to the house well under power...i told him it sounds like u dropped a valve lets pull the valve covers and inspect but he said no i got to reading around on google and found that it was prob a broken valve spring and it wasnt getting piston slap so i told him we could do it in an afternoon and if the head needed some work then we could either get a new 1 or whatever...to make a long story short(er) he paid a F-body shop to pull the valve cover look at it and tell him he broke a spring charged him $500 it sat there for a month B4 they even looked at it then he bought a motor from ohio paid the dealership like $3-4k to put it in and we got the old 1 in the back of his dads minivan and i told him i wanted to show him how easy it was and how much $ he coulda saved

come to find out he broke a valve guide and spring which he had bought the right springs to replace them so it woulda taken maybe a day at the machine shop to press 1 out and then another day to throw the head/intake/exhaust back on...but hey if his (parents) wallet is that deep then i guess it doesnt matter

i'm pretty sure 88 has done this in one day on his gravel driveway

Thats a little overkill and pretty friggin' optomistic MZ !! ;)

Doesn't matter if you "can" do it if you don't have the time or inclination. Some people just have different preferences.

Sounds like a full day's work to me! I've done ONLY the t-belt in a day. I left the water pump on and of course I didn't change all the fluids or do the oil pressure sensor, so they beat me hands down.

Agreed 88, thats a lot of work for 1 person, no matter how good and familiar ! The gravel driveway makes everything take longer also... Jacking up, where to place tools within reach without getting them dirty, moving the ghetto slider(cardboard) any time you you need to go down under... I've dealt with that too often for my taste !

Ability, tools and a place to work is a huge factor with doing it yourself, then there is time... Both the time you spend, and the time you can afford to have the vehicle undrivable... Do you have the time and can it sit a few days if something unplanned happens ? When it's a big job on the daily driver, I consider the free time I have, when a shop would have it done, how much the labor is and how much I would make working overtime on the job rather than wrenching. That usually makes the answer clear. All that said, I prefer to do it myself when feasible... ;)

One day turn around for a shop is awesome, provided they did a good job !

So, got that motor in YET Red ?? :D:hide:

B