Spare Tire Carrier Install

Guest Finder87

Guest Finder87

Well I've read a couple of posts concerning this.

It will work. You can buy the bracket kit from AC. Its not on the site but if you call and ask they do have it. The brackets bolt right in. The bottom striker plate and latch brackets attach where you see the dimples in the metal. Drill easily thru with like a no 10 drill bit so you can see the factory nutplate installed and then just carefully ream up till the bolt goes thru and threads in. AC sends you templates of where you need drill the bigger holes to mount the actual carrier. The kit even came with a new tire mount ( the part that the tire attaches to on the carrier) just in case you grab one from the yard that has had that part removed.

I know this is true because I did it on mine. Works great.

$50 Tire carrier from junkyard

$59 Bracket kit from AC

More room in back now............

• 2 years later...
Well I've read a couple of posts concerning this.

It will work. You can buy the bracket kit from AC. Its not on the site but if you call and ask they do have it. The brackets bolt right in. The bottom striker plate and latch brackets attach where you see the dimples in the metal. Drill easily thru with like a no 10 drill bit so you can see the factory nutplate installed and then just carefully ream up till the bolt goes thru and threads in. AC sends you templates of where you need drill the bigger holes to mount the actual carrier. The kit even came with a new tire mount ( the part that the tire attaches to on the carrier) just in case you grab one from the yard that has had that part removed.

I know this is true because I did it on mine. Works great.

$50 Tire carrier from junkyard

$59 Bracket kit from AC

More room in back now............

WHat is AC I would like to do the same but thought I might have to make my own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow! Will this work on my 95 without factory rear rack? If so, you guys just saved me lots of time and money because that's cheaper than buying the steel need for my planned custom job. And then there's the calling in favors for help and doing the work!

Is there anything I need to check before ordering this?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I will be doing this probably this coming weekend after I replace my alty. I will post pictures and info on how to do it without the template or instructions. The guys at AC didn't update their listing until after I complained about it. Stay tuned.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah we got it done, Another member on the boar d has the pics as I forgot my memory card when we did it to my truck. :headwall:

We had to cut the floor to slide it into the proper place. This was because 4x4parts.com had incorrect product listings until I let them know.

Edited by adamzan

• 1 month later...

I added the tire rack to the back of my pathfinder today, I did not buy the AC kit though, I pulled the inside parts out of a pathfinder in the junkyard. It took allot of modifying to make it work. I would not suggest going that route though it was a pain in the azz making it work. but i am only into it for a grand total of 22 dollars for the rack all the bolts and mounts. got to love half off sales at LKQ (u-pull-it). like i said inside brackets took allot of work to make work.

Yeah, this is definitely not easy.

How do I know ?

I spent 2 hours at a junkyard today pulling a tire carrier off a WD21! The last bolt was a HUGE pain - twisted and refused to let go. I figured,"No biggie. I'll just go around back via the taillights or underneath via the bumper and tweak itt." HA! There's no easy way to reach those brackets. There are metal plates everywhere, the screw holes are threaded and they will not let go easily. No way to get at it without some serious power tools - and we ain't talking a wimpy cordless Dremel here. So I can only imagine what a pain it would be to put that kind of bracing in.

Eventually, I hand-sawed through the bolt with a tungsten carbide survival saw. I came away with a lot of respect for the way they built that W21

The good news is I got an absolutely pristine tire carrier. All it needs is a bit of paint. While I have an R50, a post on the custom bumper should provide a nice mounting point. If not, well, they yard next door has an R50 with a factory tire carrier! Backup plan. :)

Yeah, this is definitely not easy.

How do I know ?

I spent 2 hours at a junkyard today pulling a tire carrier off a WD21! The last bolt was a HUGE pain - twisted and refused to let go. I figured,"No biggie. I'll just go around back via the taillights or underneath via the bumper and tweak itt." HA! There's no easy way to reach those brackets. There are metal plates everywhere, the screw holes are threaded and they will not let go easily. No way to get at it without some serious power tools - and we ain't talking a wimpy cordless Dremel here. So I can only imagine what a pain it would be to put that kind of bracing in.

Eventually, I hand-sawed through the bolt with a tungsten carbide survival saw. I came away with a lot of respect for the way they built that W21

The good news is I got an absolutely pristine tire carrier. All it needs is a bit of paint. While I have an R50, a post on the custom bumper should provide a nice mounting point. If not, well, they yard next door has an R50 with a factory tire carrier! Backup plan. :)

I removed the brackets by drilling a hole above each one with a cordless drill took a old screwdriver stuck it in the hole then took a hammer and beat the screwdriver to get a wide rip in the sheet metal then used a set of needle nose vice grips to clamp in the hole and rip the sheet metal away. I took some elbow grease but i only weigh like 120lbs so im not a big guy. It took about 2 hours of ripping and drilling to get it all out, 2 of the brackets are also spot welded on in a few spots and I used a drill to take out those spot welds. there is 8 bolts you have to remove as well for the inside brackets. You can not put the stock brackets in without ether massively modifying them or cutting your sheet metal up. I went the way of cutting away at the brackets enough to get them in. Then I took some scrap metal and welded in a new support between them. The inside brackets in my pathfinder are now all 1 part and there is no way to ever remove them.

• 2 weeks later...

the big question on my lips is has any one tried putting two cariiers on. the single wont hold the weight of 2 spare wheels. so if im gussing that no one has tried i may have to be a gunnie pig. if any one is interested ill do a write up when it is done and moddifed to fit one on each side. the biggest prob will be the mounting hinge brackets. time to get the cad programe out i think. but any ideas would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Garsh...

I bought a tire carrier yesterday that's in pretty good shape. However I was just going to gung ho it and drill some holes and screw in the bolts... :S I guess there is a bracket i need too? So it goes behind the eight bolts on the hinge mount side then? and there is also some for the lower pieces... yeah wtf... might need to think this thru a bit more.

question..

What is in the kit that makes it necessary?

Can i do without it?

Am I in for a lot of work?

:shiftyeyes:

does anyone have the template for mounting the carrier? AC doesn't have it and neither does the dealership.

The hell with AC. They will not help you.

Garsh...

I bought a tire carrier yesterday that's in pretty good shape. However I was just going to gung ho it and drill some holes and screw in the bolts... :S I guess there is a bracket i need too? So it goes behind the eight bolts on the hinge mount side then? and there is also some for the lower pieces... yeah wtf... might need to think this thru a bit more.

question..

Can i do without it?

Take a look at the photobucket link I posted. It shows what needs to be done. And yes the brackets have to be modified. There is no way to bolt it all up in there unless you get out the sawsall which i was not doing.

Good luck. LMK if you have anymore Questions.

Garsh...

question..

Can i do without it?

nah, it's not that easy. you'll need this bracket kit https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id=2867

you can either buy that or steal it off a pathy at a junk yard. however it's very hard to remove those brackets. it'll take a lot of work and cutting.

no, you can't go without it. if you just drill holes and stick bolts through the body, the weight of the carrier and the tire will rip off the sheet metal on the hinges.

idk how much work it'll be since the bracket kit doesn't come with any instructions (i just bought it and have to install the spare tire carrier myself) but i'll let you guys know when i figure this out and get it done.

you don't have to get the kit from AC...you can sawsall and drill the spot welds on an OEM truck or make your own...OR

you can modify the OEM carrier and rear bumper to carry the carrier without going through the hassle of trying to install the brkts in places that you cant get to once the body leaves the assembly line... I got the top brkts out of my 95 wihtout too much fuss...the lower ones are staying there until I sawsall the rest of the body and I will then decide if I do the stock carrier or make my own...probably make my own

HA, so yeah I took it to a collision repair shop to allow their expertise to install it.

(I took all the parts from a junked pathy. brackets included XD)

They had her for 2 hours then called me saying no way jose'.

I see now the brackets need to be modified for sure.

and cutting a hole looks necessary too as was suggested.

how was installing the lower bracket after you had cut that hole?

also if i am using a factory bracket, is there a way to line it up if i end up cutting it in half to place it in?

almost looks like someone should take pics of installing the whole thing!

I would if i could figure this thing out.

So I'ma leave it for now until i have a better idea....

HA, so yeah I took it to a collision repair shop to allow their expertise to install it.

(I took all the parts from a junked pathy. brackets included XD)

They had her for 2 hours then called me saying no way jose'.

I see now the brackets need to be modified for sure.

and cutting a hole looks necessary too as was suggested.

how was installing the lower bracket after you had cut that hole?

also if i am using a factory bracket, is there a way to line it up if i end up cutting it in half to place it in?

almost looks like someone should take pics of installing the whole thing!

I would if i could figure this thing out.

So I'ma leave it for now until i have a better idea....

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/ma...rier%20Install/

Alright solid. I was concerned about lining up the mounting bolts and holes after remodeling the brackets but i suppose it's do-able. If I find some time I'll try bolting it up. Thanks again.