Spare Tire Carrier Install

Guest Finder87

I know this thread is pretty old and dead but as far as I can tell it contains the most/most valuable info on the apparently hellish task of adding a tire carrier.

So, I called AC and they no longer carry the mounting brackets as of 4/25/13.

I got the easily removed bracket from the inside of a JY truck along with the strike plate and latch and all those goodies. I'm slowly getting a picture in my head of the install process based on these posts and a few others. Can anyone point out exactly which other parts i'm going to have to get?

If I'm not mistaken the one bracket I got out was 57284.

vopjy9.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Can I throw this one at ya'll?

I have a parts Pathy '94

I want to surprise my wife & take the tire carrier off it & some how get it modified & mounted to her Xterra.

Any one do this yet, or have seen this done? I really don't want to mount it like they are on the Pathy's....would like to have it swival on a mount or something welded onto the bumper......

any thoughts or concerns are more then welcomed.....

Thanks all! :beer:

Sounds like a ton of work (modifying both the carrier and the truck) and when you're done it would still open on the wrong side. Not that it can't or shouldn't be done though.

I've sort of been eyeing the left-hinged tire carriers on Isuzus at the JY. Yeah, they'd need custom brackets, but it sounds like you're looking to do that anyway.

• 7 years later...

Hey guys, i know this thread is old AF, but i have an 89 pathy xe 4x4 and need to find a site to buy the brackets for the hinges for the tire carrier, i got a really good one from a u pull it yard for 35$ and i have always been told whether the vehicle has a body accessory or not they always put in the mounting points, you just have too uncover them and good to go, so i didnt even bother too look at getting the brackets from the junkyard truck, BUT once i got home and i pulled the tail light and the panel off inside cargo area and found, TOO MY SURPRISE NOOO BRACKETS INSTALLED, you can image my heart sank, i felt defeated then that quickly turned to rage, since i was so excited to have the carrier and get my 32x11.5 at out of cargo area and onto the rear of the truck, if anyone can please help i would be extremely and eternally grateful

Sadly they are dealer or JY only. 4x4parts.com used to sell a kit but they don't anymore. And it was just Nissan parts boxed together.

I would go back to the JY and get the brackets, you'll have to mangle the truck to get them out most likely.

adamzan, thats what i was afraid of, but i really appreciate the response, it really means a lot to me when someone responds to my posts, i dont throw a question out unless i spent days researching and trying to figure out things on my own, i dont ever want anyone to think i am one of those guys that wont do my due diligence before posting ???’s, so to get a response it tells me you took the time, escpecially with such an old thread, to read and post, this forum has never let me down with responses from people, giving such GREAT and AWESOME info/advice, have yourself a wonderful weekend