fuel economy?

iLLlegal

ok. I know the pathfinder isnt the best car for gas.so dont say there is nothing I can do. Lately I have noticed alot more gas consumtion. I have been driving the same. but yesterday I drove mabey 30min around town...quarter tank GONE.. this shouldnt happen.

Now my question is.. what standard procedures would you recommend I go through to FIND the problem. I dont know what makes it run good..or rich or such. its getting close to winter and i want to to run tip top. also does everyone elses pathy poor out alot of exhaust...and smell really strong..is that a problem. its not rotten eggs just really strong..

should I check the airfilter. how bout the ECU? I just want to know were to start from.......any help would be nice :D

First do a tuneup. Get new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve. None of those things are very expensive but all together they go a long way to help your engine run smoothly. How long has it's been since you replaced the oxygen sensor. Also check if your MAF sensor is dirty. I have been told that there is a common problem with the ground wire from the MAF sensor rusting out (I think it's the middle one on the three wire plug). Common solution is to just run a nice shiny new ground wire and grounding it properly in the engine bay.

EDIT: Ah yes... just as per below post, make sure you have your tires inflated properly.

Edited by Filthy Luker

For gas milage, try injector cleaner, clean air filter, healthy spark (rotor, dizzy cap, plugs and wires), clean the MAF sensor, make sure the O2 sensor is functioning correctly, inflate you tires to rock hard and throw the ignition key as far as you can into a lake. :shrug:

B

Does your truck have the same amount of power, or have you noticed lack of acceleration and performance? As noted above, it may be time for ignition component replacement. If you do all the above maintenance, yet still have poor fuel economy, it's also possible, although much harder to diagnose (and far more expensive), that your catalytic converter(s) may be plugged.

Have you actually calculated your gas mileage?

The gas gauge isn't 100% accurate. Mine goes really quick for the first half and then slow for the second half.

The best mine has gotten is about 18.5 mpg....the lowest about 15.5 mpg.....

Thats on-road driving only.......

I would calculate the MPG for a few tanks before you get to worried :aok:

I just filled mine last night to the tune of $48.

301 Miles/ 15.467 gal=19.46 MPG. This included the 200 mile round trip to Grandma's + 4 33 9.50R15's mounted and balanced for extra weight in the back. With my usual running around town:)

Just the other day I let my tank get *WAY* down...over $50 to fill!!! Ouch! Every gas saving mod will pay for itself pretty quick these days. If you spent $1K and got a +5MPG increase (feasible)...that'd pay for itself in under 2yrs with 20K per year driving. Faster if prices continue to rise. Just a thought.

I just filled mine last night to the tune of $48.

301 Miles/ 15.467 gal=19.46 MPG. This included the 200 mile round trip to Grandma's + 4 33 9.50R15's mounted and balanced for extra weight in the back. With my usual running around town:)

wow, i wish, i get barely 14 most of the time..

My Rig sucks up the gas pretty bad as well. and Lately I've noticed the smell of Gas real strong coming from the back end. I'm figuring it may have something to do with the Fuel pump or something but I get at best 481 Km's not miles before my Gas light comes on. Which I've been doing a lot lately to try and figure out how far it will go. Might be the fact that I'm actually doing that and the fact that I buy the cheapest gas around. Now I have a new list of parts to buy. sheesh. This is gonna be one hell of a parts truck when this baby finally dies.

Dowser

Black 95SE 31x1050R15 on lego rims. Everyday driver B)

Intake is JWT Popcharger.(thank you DJ)

New cap and rotor, I have not taken on the challenge of the #6 plug as of yet, new bosch +4's waiting to be installed. Depending on how the current plugs look will determine if I go to 8mm wires.

If im not hot dogging it the last 30 miles to the in-laws and 1st 30 from there. I can get 22mpg on that trip.

Once the Calmini SL goes in the 92XE with the 33's, I will level out the front end and JCG the back end of the 95.

Dude thats like someone saying their truck wont start and asking them if they tried turning the key... :D

When a car has an onboard diagnostic unit that you can check at any time with complete instructions posted, thats where you start naturally. ;)

I did kind of hint at it. :shrug:

make sure the O2 sensor is functioning correctly

:beer:

B

thanks for the help im gunna go through the codes tomorrow and up the ignition and such...mabey get some new filters ;0 hey dowser that sounds exactly what its doin to me. if you find anythin out tell me ;) o and do I have to go to a nissan dealership to get the PCV valve?

OK. I'll fess up. I may be a little retarded. :crazy: Not sure if it has anything to do with being dropped on my head as a child or the limitless drugs taken as a teen, but how in the hell do I use the onboard Diagnostic? In fact Where the Hell "IS" the Diagnostic for that matter. :angry: I've only owned this rig for about 5 months now and it of course came with no manual. All I want to do is run the damn thing for the 9 page read out of whats wrong with my Rig, although I am a little nervous about it just saying "Buy another Rig, this one is toast, and by the way, you got ripped off sucker." Try not and make too much fun of me for not knowing how to do this, because I will be signing on under a different login to do that for myself. :clap: I can hear it now, "Dowser, You Idiot, Your so Stupid I can't believe your still alive, etc." Alrighty, Soooo, Give me instruction of how to find and use this in a Step by Step format so I can see why my Monster Truck is drinking too much. -alcohol-

Dowser

Guest Dowser's Arch Nemesis

Dowser, You Idiot, Your so Stupid I can't believe your still alive, I don't think I've ever met someone as stupid as yourself. If there was an award of stupidity, you'd be the consecutive winner since birth. The questions you ask are so stupid I cant bear to read them anymore. Just LEAVE you moron.

Dowser's Arch Nemesis

Dowser, You Idiot, Your so Stupid I can't believe your still alive, I don't think I've ever met someone as stupid as yourself.  If there  was an award of stupidity, you'd be the consecutive winner since birth. The questions you ask are so stupid I cant bear to read them anymore. Just LEAVE you moron.

Dowser's Arch Nemesis

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahahah

BEST POST EVER.

(PS. Dowser kicks ass!)

Edited by Filthy Luker

LMAO Dowser, you posterchild for birth control.... :D

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=21

Complete 'step by step' instructions for you. Personally, I just keep a hard copy in the glove box. I believe the ECU is under your drivers seat... Have fun and good luck. :beer:

B