How many are cosidering ditching their Pathy?

keithb7

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slick, diesels are way more efficient. on a v6 you're talking 30+mpg.

loss of power? maybe on a drag strip.. in the bush there is no better... it also has no wires to get wet... it's really the unltimate!

At $3.40 a gallon for diesel here right now.. it doesn't work out very cheap.

Find me a bush ANYWHERE in California (besides someones front yard), the only water is coming from someones hose pipe, and I will maybe agree.. and the diesels I am talking about are your Rams, Duramax and F-350's... that's the only diesel folks drive around here.. anything smaller won't haul too many horses or cows.... :gossip:

I just cut down on my driving really... get all the errands done in one run instead of 3... don't make trips when you really don't have to go.... and instead of driving the 100 yards to the gas station for smokes.. WALK.. *raises hand in guilt*

Edited by Slick

im not considering ditching my pathy...but im looking at buying a motorcycle. where ill be returning to school and living for the next 6 years...as well as owning a cabin only accessable through a 4x4 only road....i need my pathy

Well, we appear to have solved our dillemma. The wife loves the PT Criuser. I found one for her yesterday. Now we have a more fuel efficient car and the Pathy! -bounce- How long the Pathy will be around remains to be seen. I must admit the PT Cruiser is a very nice, well built car. Gets very high marks in reviews and Consumer Reports. First tank though it got 24 mpg, will get better as engine breaks in. I expect 28 mpg. The Pathy is a keeper too in my opinion. We don't really need the extra vehicle, however it has cost me very little to keep and maintain. It is in awesome shape for a 1993. I am torn to sell it or keep it. 178,000 km's, and it looks brand new. Hmmmm..... :confused:

LOL yeah, probably not! :laugh:

Although she's getting zero MPG right now (broken :( ) I can't see getting rid of my Path anytime soon. Due to gas prices or otherwise.

LOL Red i was talking about my wife! LOL :lol:

Yeah, that was one of those night when i was actually tired semi early.. I hit "Quote" instead of "Reply" :crazy:

I should have just gone to bed :bed:

:shrug::laugh:

By the way, all the comarisons to European prices for fuel are pretty unfounded. That's even the case with many Eastern US cities vs. out west. Everything is so far apart out here, and often (as is the case here) public transportation simply isn't a viable option. I suppose I could go that route, although it would take me about 3 hours each way to work or so. Sure the price may be half again more or double, but it takes many twice as long to get where they're going. And the only people that can afford to live close in are those willing to fork out $300K for a tiny shack. We've simply got the deck stacked differently than many others, so you've gotta make you compromises where you see fit- pay up to live close in, or pay up in gas and live with it.

I'll second that! -thnkboutit-

05 X gets better gas milage and has more horse then 04.

Repak, how the hell did you save 2h per trip.. i know them volvos have 5 bagers but didn't know about warp speed.. wtf??? :huh:

derogate, canadians speeding like mad??? what you guys talking aboot? 100km/h is not speeding like mad... i drove 110< most of the time there and passed everybody, and i mean everybody! where the hell are the cops up there?? didn't see any in 5 days.. mind you, not that i really needed to see one :D

My Pathy was fully loaded- 3 bikes, one of which was on the roof, and all the gear needed for a bike race. Plus food. We had a lot. Top speed was 75 and that didn't happen b/c of all the hills btwn MA and WV 750 miles each way. WHen I took the Volvo a large portion of our gear was in a friends trailer. I could cruise at whatever speed I wanted and the needle wouldn't budge. The car has great sustain. Plus the last 70 miles btwn I-80 and the mountain (Snowshoe) is some of the craziest mountain driving you'll ever find. The roads are in pristine condition but turny as hell. You fo through a serries of ~2,000 elevaiton changes. Passes up aournd 4,000'. A pathy just can't compete with a Volvo on roads like that. I went from white-knuckling my Pathy to feeling driving so fast that I made my gf dizzy. I heard some motorcycle riders say that they were the best roads they'd ever ridden.

I'd forgotten that the published difference btwn the 04 and 05 Xterra was only 3mpg and 70 hp. I gigure that the more powerful engine will save me money b/c it won't fight like the Pathy does. Seems like most of the driving I do involves high speeds on hilly roads!

I80 u sure? ok, thanks; the rest makes sense..

anyway, i have driven a bunch over there.. WV is pretty awesome for an outdoorsmen.. lot's of it everywhere.. hehe.. snoshoe is pretty nice but i haven't been up on the mountain in the summer..

By the way, all the comarisons to European prices for fuel are pretty unfounded.  That's even the case with many Eastern US cities vs. out west.  Everything is so far apart out here, and often (as is the case here) public transportation simply isn't a viable option.  ....  We've simply got the deck stacked differently than many others, so you've gotta make you compromises where you see fit-  pay up to live close in, or pay up in gas and live with it.

For my family to see a movie is 100 km ONE WAY, on a four lane highway at 110 km/h. When we go to stuff like that, we take the van if the weather is good, if not we take the Pathy. Other options are not viable (ie bus = Greyhound three time a day). No choice but to have two vehicles and drive what we have to. We have cut back our driving out of town.

FYI I have put more km on the Pathy in the 8 months I have had it then in the 18 months we have had the van (20,000 vs 17,000) :shrug: .

the weather must be bad up there.. lol

It can be, the passes we have to go through to get out of town are 1200m west to Vancouver, 1400m north to Kamloops (and the movies) and 1700m east to Kelowna. My town is at 600m elevation, so it is a bit of a climb to get out (and very tough on trannies). The route south is closed on numerous occasions during the winter due to snow.

Just love the All-Mode 4wd part of the transfer case, wouldn’t live without it now.

i was being a bit sarcastic.. seems you drive the pathy way more then the van.. :. bad weather all the time.. ;)

Sometimes I can't see sarcasm if it hit me in the face! :laugh:

The van gets used for family outings when the roads are good, when they are bad, we use the Pathy as it does not matter if it gets a few more rock chips/dents, it is used in the bush a lot. That is another reason for the kms on the Pathy, it is my work truck. My wife’s commute is only 6 km round trip!

I really don't give a rats arse what gas cost.... I've always overlooked gas prices for the sake of fun and style! Beside's 4x4's, I like 50's rat rods and muscle cars and big caddies as well.... so if you have that sort of an addiction, you kinda have to force yourself to be oblivious to the pump prices. Asking me to cut down on gas consumption is like asking me to give up half my blood! :)

oh well, we all have a weakness!

Clay

Guest Curly95

gas prices are especially bad as a college student who makes next to nothing and is constantly in city driving mode. so heres what needs to happen: remember prohibition? i dont, because im only 19. hahahaha. the point however, is this, if enough people lash out against the fuel prices, something will eventually give. yes thats right, im promoting organized crime. the mafia kicked a#$ during prohibition, and it got to be such a problem that the country ended prohibition and stole back the market for alcohol. why cant it work for fuel. ok so maybe im off my rocker. oh well. but i am gonna make bumper stickers that say "highjack a fuel tanker"

well, my pathy is now garaged and the sippin' DSM is out. i cant handle this $3 a gallon, 80mi round trip to school jaunt in this gas guzzler. oh well, gives me time to do a few mods that may keep the ol girl down for a while. i sure hope this BS blows over and someone gets all over these oil companies for jacking up their prices. driving a DSM like an old freakin lady is NO fun :furious:

It is a Supply and Demand thing.

Supply: They got plenty of oil without any from Iraq, Iran or any of the others on the ban list. Remember 10-15 years ago? We did not use any of their oil at that time either:)

Demand: We use alot of go go juice, and some Oil Executives think they just need more $$$$$ for thier Bling.

well thats my $.02 worth of opinion :hide:

yes, im sure our gas consumption has increased...but come on...its DOUBLED in 1 year. thats insane. hell, its come up $1 since this spring/first of summer. it was around $2 now were at 3 now. if you ask me these oil companies need to be taken down a peg or 10. oil profits are at an all time high...and they say they cant help the prices? BS! katrina drove the oil prices up? BS! iv heard every excuse in the book as to why were getting bent over at the pump. the war, katrina, china..you name it. but what it boils down to is a few greedy SOB's. sorry but how much wealth can one accomidate? they have gotten MORE than their fill. its time to stop all this crap.

this keeps up the economy will be in the toilet...mark my words. you cant charge people an arm and a leg for fuel and expect them to get out and buy things...which are also subsequently more expensive due to the rising cost of fuel. and youd never know prices were high with the way people drive. even tho gas is at a premium...people in their H2's are driving around at 95mph. tell me thats good for gas mileage! i know SUV's arent helping reduce the supply...and thats part of the reason i put mine away...that and i cant afford to feed it anymore right now. maybe one day when prices are sensable....or for play time..but certainly not for a daily commute.

and ill make them a deal..ill pay $3 a gallon...if they increase the min wage and my paycheck by $3 an hour!

Edited by DSM_guy

LOL DSM... Yes to everything... Oil Co's have record profits yet they artificially inflate prices for oil they haven't even purchased yet and refuse to build refinerys... Normally you'd turn to the government to curtail such gross excess, but this batch is in it with them. Better get used to it, the prediction is $5/gal by end of next year !! Prepare for a depression !!

B