Headlights performing poorly?

88pathoffroad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9004-Hi-Low-Headlight-Wire-Harness-Kit-Hi-Watt-HID-NEW-/160516153014?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255f821eb6

About $35 shipped....looks pretty much like plug n play..

Considering relays are no less than $5 each, plus a good $20 in wire and connections...not too shabby really..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9004-Hi-Low-Headlight-Wire-Harness-Kit-Hi-Watt-HID-NEW-/160516153014?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255f821eb6

Considering relays are no less than $5 each, plus a good $20 in wire and connections...not too shabby really..

I agree. Looks pretty good. Problem is I already ordered the dual make relays from Summit.

Oh well. I'll get to make a heavier duty one with 12 g wire.

Your ebay search skills are vastly superior to mine. I actually searched for something like this. :ar15:

Thanks.

Thanks for the link! I just ordered one.

James

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed the relay set-up and without a doubt, there is a huge improvement even with stock 65/45 bulbs. The stock lighting on my rig was really terrible and I dreaded driving at night on the highways because it was so difficult to see. Even my wife would comment on whether the headlights were on on not, and then she would start panicking...definitely NOT a good scene!

I bought a "plug & play" prebuilt harness like the lads above from ebay (search "9004 Hi-Low Headlight Wire Harness Kit").

I like this kit because it is easy to install (1 hour outside), I do not have to cut any wires (and is therefore transportable to another vehicle when mine rusts away) and it retained the on/off function I had with the factory fogs with the hi/lo beams. This kit was cheap (only 25 bucks + shipping!) and it was comparable in price to me buying all the components, wires, and connectors and then wiring it up myself. The relays bolted up to the passenger fender right beside a bunch of other relays. It is super tidy!

The "Hi-Beam" indicator still works.

To make it better, I added 2 inline fuses just after the battery connection. I strongly suggest that if you buy this kit you make the socket ground wires longer by about 3 inches. That way you won't have to disconnect the ground wire when you go to replace the bulbs in the future.

The 4 pin relays are difficult to find, and B) IMO, of dubious quality. I plan on replacing them with quality Bosch Relays soon.

Q: Does anyone know where I would find the dimensions so I can ensure my headlights are properly aimed?

Edited by lint

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed the relay set-up and without a doubt, there is a huge improvement even with stock 65/45 bulbs. The stock lighting on my rig was really terrible and I dreaded driving at night on the highways because it was so difficult to see. Even my wife would comment on whether the headlights were on on not, and then she would start panicking...definitely NOT a good scene!

I bought a "plug & play" prebuilt harness like the lads above from ebay (search "9004 Hi-Low Headlight Wire Harness Kit").

I like this kit because it is easy to install (1 hour outside), I do not have to cut any wires (and is therefore transportable to another vehicle when mine rusts away) and it retained the on/off function I had with the factory fogs with the hi/lo beams. This kit was cheap (only 25 bucks + shipping!) and it was comparable in price to me buying all the components, wires, and connectors and then wiring it up myself. The relays bolted up to the passenger fender right beside a bunch of other relays. It is super tidy!

To make it better, I added 2 inline fuses just after the battery connection. I strongly suggest that if you buy this kit you make the socket ground wires longer by about 3 inches. That way you won't have to disconnect the ground wire when you go to replace the bulbs in the future.

The 4 pin relays are difficult to find, and B) IMO, of dubious quality. I plan on replacing them with quality Bosch Relays soon.

Q: Does anyone know where I would find the dimensions so I can ensure my headlights are properly aimed?

If you bought the same ebay premade harness I did (yellow jacket over the wires, link posted above), it should have fusible links on the positive battery connections, you didn't need to add fuses. My harness isn't helping my headlights work any better than they were before, because its still behind the seat! Thanks for the tip on lengthening the ground.

James

• 1 month later...

Yep, that's the one I bought. I don't like fusible links though when it comes to headlights. I'd rather have a fuse to blow (and have a spare to replace it with) than have fusible links leave me in the dark & no way to repair them on the side of the road...

So, two months later...have you installed it yet??

• 1 month later...

So what did you do about the daytime running lights? The reason I haven't done this is because the DRL uses the high beams at half power, so if you plugged in the relay harness, wouldn't it be sending full high beam power to the headlights in DRL mode?

Hey, so I don't have DRLs 'cause it was originally a US truck (moved here in '96). I see your point, but can't you bypass the DRL module?

I had thought about bypassing it but it is stupidly integrated, I would have to re wire everything. Plus it is the law that they have to work, at least in onterrible.

• 2 months later...

So Adamzan, I was thinking about this today.

Why not bypass your DRL (stock unit) and get a set of additional lights that can operate as your (new) drls? Some cheap fogs or LEDs? The installation is would be easy. The negative wire from your new lights would need to connect to the negative side of battery. The positive wire would need to get power from the ignition fuse box. Therefore, the Daytime Running Light will turn on when the key ignition on. I don't see why your DRLS would HAVE to be your headlights....

• 1 month later...

I for one have the same questions every one else has. I had some relays made because ebay and summitt no longer carry them.

My questions are: how do you go about wiring in all of these new relays into the existing harness with out cutting into it and trying to figure out what head lamp wires your suppose to be splicing into AND retain the ability to keep a functional hi / lo beam switch? The ebay / Summit kit appears to have a male 9004 plug. Does that get plugged into the factory feamle plug that normally goes to the passenger side head light bulb?

has anyone made a plug n play harness that allows you to do just what I described on both sides or head lights? I'm thinking 2 male 9004 plugs that go into the factory headlight sockets, and wire each side with relays that also contain a new heavier duty 9004 female socket going directly to their respective bulb, drivers side and passenger side.

If anyone has actually performed this upgrade....please chime in...and include pictures!

I'm confused and frustrated as hell trying to figure this one out.

Thanks,

Edited by krmiller07

Are the relays wired to a constant supply of power all the time...such as the battery? And the ground from both lights off the the new harness to a common ground. I'm still trying to get my arms around how this all ties into the factory harness and still supply power and the hi / lo beam switch from the turn signal switch? Plus how I can tie the low beam headlights and relays in with the factory fog lights. Anyone...anyone ! Beuler?

Thanks

See my thread ^ above for the wiring diagram. The relays complete the circuit with the battery when they are activated by the switch and the relays take power from one of the old headlight connectors. There is no reason to do anything with the factory fog light circuit as that is already relayed.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I put a kit similar to this on my Truck... its MAGICAL, & almost Road legal here in Victoria (Australia).

By some ridiculous regulation, it needs to be Hi/Lo (ok), but also needs individual washers (wtf?).

Hi/Lo HID BI-XENON KIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300525389973

The Pathfinder stock wiring serves only as a switch, ie from the stock headlight control stalk. Theres an adadpter that plugs straight in.

The actual lights are powered independently off the battery, with an independent relay, control box, ballasts & new globes.

The kit even comes with bayonet adapters to fit the H4 headlight slot.

It took all of 30 minutes to install... with a torch in the dark... So far the only other thing I needed to do was tape off the back end so its waterproof. Awesome.

--DuckMan.

I bought some of these and am doing this to my headlights.... i am still waiting for them to get here but will post pics when they come

here is what they are like in a fj cruiser

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/77719-diy-hid-bixenon-projector-retrofit-w-ccfl-ring-detailed-installation-pics.html

If you want to go HID then keep those stock fog lights as the HIDs aren't as good in the rain or fog. My only concern with those HID kits is their reliability. It looks like they work well but how long do they last? I usually don't trust cheap electronics. The whole reason I made my own harness was because I knew that Nissan relays were reliable. The head light bulbs that I used are also very reliable and emit lots of light. Not as much as HID but I can put my trust in them that they will always work when I need them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I looked at this thread... an update:

My home brew harness upgrade and relay assembly is still working fantastic. Did have some ground issues that corroded and had to be cleaned and greased, but other than that still perfect.

As for the HID discussion...

I put an ebay kit in my wife's Altima, been in there over a year and still trucking along. Very bright, almost don't even need high beams.

Thinking about putting some HID bulbs in a set of PIAA fog light housings... would be different...