Headlights performing poorly?

88pathoffroad

I got some sylvania silverstar ultras on ebay for 18 bucks shipped. they have lasted me well over a year.

On the debate of 9004 vs 9007, the 9007 has a higher low beam wattage, but the tabs are put different so they do not swap, you have to ground one of the tabs off. but even still, the filament is aligned differently so they do not work properly in a wd21 housing or any other 9004 housings and visa versa.

I got some sylvania silverstar ultras on ebay for 18 bucks shipped. they have lasted me well over a year.

On the debate of 9004 vs 9007, the 9007 has a higher low beam wattage, but the tabs are put different so they do not swap, you have to ground one of the tabs off. but even still, the filament is aligned differently so they do not work properly in a wd21 housing or any other 9004 housings and visa versa.

just put your headlights on sideways!

The last time 88 posted this I hussled out and did this exact thing to my fogs, the difference was well worth the effort!! My factory fogs with Sylvania silver stars are just awesome. Mind you I have 35% tint down the entire front window and i still consider them quite bright!!!

isnt that illegal??? :scratchhead:

Tint laws vary state to state ;)

yeah, but is it the higher the percent (like 55%) does it get darker or is it the lower the percent (like 35%) darker?

cuz if 35 is dark....

Tint laws vary state to state ;)

yeah, but is it the higher the percent (like 55%) does it get darker or is it the lower the percent (like 35%) darker?

cuz if 35 is dark....

• 3 weeks later...

Technically yes my tint is illeagal in all states. The windshield is a big no no. You can get pulled over anywhere for it, along with having a tissue box in the front window.

I happen to posses a doctors statement stating that I have sensitive eyes...this may still not be a "get out of owned, free" card. I drive pretty responsible and have only ever been questioned 1 time...got warned that most cops will ticket me, some might hold me there until I peel it...lol good luck with that.

1 800 contacts..."I have special eyes"

ps...50% tint lets in 1/2 light

35% tint lets in about 1/3 light~~~35% is > 50%

So I felt the urge to chime in...:offtopic:

As a LEO, I have to keep up with a bunch o ridiculous laws. Tint is one of them.

In the ugly redneck state of TN, 35% is the legal tint limit. Nothing more than a tint strip is allowed on the front windshield, and that is to the AS-1 line on "most" windshields. On trucks/SUV's and van's the tint just has to be the legal 35% on the driver and passenger side FRONT windows. Everything else can be blacked completely out, painted if so desired.

As for complete windshield tinting, I have only ran across a handful of vehicles with that done to them. Most of them were kids with like 20% on the windshield, which is plain stupid and dangerous. I did have one that claimed he had a doctors note or something, but nonetheless the law does not provide any "lee way" for such.

FYI he was stopped for speeding, and the only reason the tint subject came up was because he made a statement as such: "Nothing better to do than pick on me? I guess your going to write me a ticket for my windshield being tinted as well huh? Go f*ck yourself you d*ck!!"

So I went back to my patrol car, ran the license, and wrote him for the speeding violation, AND the tint.

I operate on the golden rule, guys. Treat others the same way you want to be treated. I could have cussed him, sure, and came down on the same level as him...but the pen did the talking.

And in court, the "doctors note" issue never came up, he just paid the fine.

It sucks, I would rather have my personal vehicles blacked out, so my family and I are not visible to the same people that I deal with on a daily basis...but just because I have a badge, does not mean I am above the law as so many others feel is the case...

one more chime it. I got my 500*F sockets from e-bay they have not melted or disformed they are not hoding onto the bulbs anymore so they get unplugged with vibration. I'm a look around and see if there's something better for use with High wattage lights.

• 4 months later...

As off topic as this has gone, you are incorrect.

The percentage of the tint is how much light makes it through. 5% barely lets any light through, aka limo tint. 35% is what most vehicles these days come with from the factory.

VVVVV Much more informative post following VVVVV

Edited by silverton

As off topic as this has gone, you are incorrect.

The percentage of the tint is how much light makes it through. 5% barely lets any light through, aka limo tint. 35% is what most vehicles these days come with from the factory.

70% tint lets 30% light through.

35% tint lets 65% light through.

Therefore, 70% is MUCH darker than 35.

20% tint on the windshield isn't much and probably why you didn't notice it.

Um....you started out right, but I think you got a little confused at the end ;)

35% is darker than 70%, as you said, they are named by how much light they let IN, lower percentage=darker, hence why 5% is "limo-tint"

now, "a tint of 70%" would let 30% of the light through, but this is colloquially termed as "a 30 percent tint"

20% tint means only 20% of the light is passing through (as I've ever seen it labeled or called) which, albeit not impossible to see, does make quite a difference!

Lower the number, darker the shade...unless you are referring to how much tint the tint material is supplying (and therefore not in how it is branded and sold)

whew....my brain hurts...

• Like 1

Ok.. back to the main thread topic.

I was planning to do this in the Spring but since I just failed inspection for no passenger side hi-beam, I guess I'll do it now.

I understand what's going on with this mod for the most part but before I cut into the harness I'd like to know where to do so.

My FSM wiring diagram shows the wires from the switch running through a bunch of other stuff before getting to the headlights so........

is it better to bypass everything and cut in as close to the firewall as possible? or

is it just as good to cut in right before the socket ? (I'm thinking close to firewall)

BTW, My FSM shows the wire colors to be R/Y and B coming off the switch and carrying through the firewall. Does that jive with what you all have found?

Anyone got a pic of where they cut in ? (It's friggin' cold out man - don't want to waste anytime if i can get a clear answer here)

Thanks.

hmmmmmm, is this actually this easy? ive only ever known one auto sparky friend to do this to his landcruiser, but it took him a little while to do. are the results worth the effort? :scratchhead:

i can get the neccesary parts very cheap through my work, and if its easy enough, could i do it within an afternoon/weekend?

hmmmmmm, is this actually this easy? ive only ever known one auto sparky friend to do this to his landcruiser, but it took him a little while to do. are the results worth the effort? :scratchhead:

i can get the neccesary parts very cheap through my work, and if its easy enough, could i do it within an afternoon/weekend?

Yes, definitely...

;)

Anyone know if that PIAA single pack deal is still valid? I got on their site, they have a single pack LISTED but not for sale..

Edited by OldSlowReliable

If you do this with a pre-built harness there is no cutting, no cutting would more than likely be the preferred method. With a harness it's all plug and play.

So... it sounds like you're voting for splicing in right at the bulb connector which is where I'm guessing the pre-built harness would attach.

Ok.

BTW, I have no problem lopping off old electrical connectors or bypassing with new wires. Most of the ones on my 170K + mile vehicle turn to dust when you manipulate them anyway.

Any votes for bypassing all the way to the firewall ?

Well..........

It took a while thanks to some crappy Chinese -made electrical connectors from harbor-freight, but she's all back together.

I used the side where the Hi and Low beams were both working and wired that to the relays.

Then new sockets and wires.

Running it from the battery right now cuz it looks like I'd have to pull the alty to access the output terminal. I'll save that for a day when I have a ride to the store and can do the upgrqde to a maxima alty.

Having done it and being only able to access one side and "jumping" to the other side with only 2 relays - I would have preferred to use the "double make" relays with 2 x 87 terminal outputs so I could run one wire from terminal all the way to socket without splicing. Anyone know a good source for those ?

Threw in a couple of Xtravisions from Wally-world. Light output is better for sure.

Thanks for this nice mod.

Merry Christmas to all.

Well..........

It took a while thanks to some crappy Chinese -made electrical connectors from harbor-freight, but she's all back together.

I used the side where the Hi and Low beams were both working and wired that to the relays.

Then new sockets and wires.

Running it from the battery right now cuz it looks like I'd have to pull the alty to access the output terminal. I'll save that for a day when I have a ride to the store and can do the upgrqde to a maxima alty.

Having done it and being only able to access one side and "jumping" to the other side with only 2 relays - I would have preferred to use the "double make" relays with 2 x 87 terminal outputs so I could run one wire from terminal all the way to socket without splicing. Anyone know a good source for those ?

Threw in a couple of Xtravisions from Wally-world. Light output is better for sure.

Thanks for this nice mod.

Merry Christmas to all.

I was looking @ these, cheaper than buying 4 relays (and only like 3 more than buying two of the spst) and they are rated for 40 amps....

I don't see a link above. Can you re-post ?

Drove at night last night for the first time since the mod.

It's a wonder I didn't have an accident with the old lighting. So much better now. My low beams are like my Hi beams on the old setup ! Seriously.

I just drove through the entire state of WV at night averaging 75-80 behind some big rigs.

I wouldn'ta seen a deer until it was in the seat beside me. Just lucky that time.

Now if i just get those new eyeglasses so I can see in all that glorious light :laugh: ................

I don't see a link above. Can you re-post ?

Drove at night last night for the first time since the mod.

It's a wonder I didn't have an accident with the old lighting. So much better now. My low beams are like my Hi beams on the old setup ! Seriously.

I just drove through the entire state of WV at night averaging 75-80 behind some big rigs.

I wouldn'ta seen a deer until it was in the seat beside me. Just lucky that time.

Now if i just get those new eyeglasses so I can see in all that glorious light :laugh: ................

whoopsies!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLA-933791061/?rtype=10

That's it exactly !

Wish it was available locally.

I'm gonna put them in when the weather warms up and the wires aren't as stiff as welding rods !

What size fuses are recommended for this application ?

I have 35A inline Buss in place now but I think that's a bit too high an amperage rating. Might fry some of the older wiring if there's a short in the system before these big fuses blow.

That's it exactly !

Wish it was available locally.

I'm gonna put them in when the weather warms up and the wires aren't as stiff as welding rods !

What size fuses are recommended for this application ?

I have 35A inline Buss in place now but I think that's a bit too high an amperage rating. Might fry some of the older wiring if there's a short in the system before these big fuses blow.

I read 30amp is acceptable