Crunch

k9sar

So I'm driving home in rush-hour traffic yesterday and I see someone about 4 cars up lock their brakes and slide sideways. Cars were scattering everywhere to avoid it as we were in the left lane of a 4 lane highway. The vehicle in front of me had slammed on their brakes as well and I was in full brake heading for the median which was kind-of steep and had a sharp angle ditch at the bottom. So anyway, I'm sliding in the grass heading nose first towards the ditch when the vehicle in front of me also decides to head for the grass. I had to choose between folding the front left wheel under in the ditch or making contact with him since I quickly ran out of room. Here's the result: :(

684669_11_full.jpg

684669_12_full.jpg

684669_13_full.jpg

started the repair process last night. I had to throw my tow-chain around a tree and pull my bumper away from the wheel so I could get the fender off.

684669_14_full.jpg

well... two good things.... Nobody was hurt and I killed a Jeep! :aok:

Edited by k9sar

Sorry k9sar, but it doesn't look like the damage is too bad... I'm sure you'll have her in shape in no time...

I think I have an extra turn signal lense if you need it.

B

I'm gonna see what the insurance will cover. I know a real good body shop. If the repair cost exceeds the value of the pathy, then I'll have to do much of it myself. I'm sure I could do a reasonable job but the front end is crooked now. I couldn't see any crease in the frame but if I look from the side, the front is definately got some twist to it.

Worst case, I drop a few hundred at a shop to get the frame straigntened up then I head out to the local U-Pull_it junkyard(s) and see what I can find.

Good to hear that you're ok though. Freeway accidents are scary. Got any pics of the dead Heep?

no, dang-it. It was an afterthought to post this and I took the pics for insurance-type purposes. I have the guy's address but I don't know where he got it towed to. Maybe I'll swing by his place this weekend and see if it's there.

Ouch. You're probably gonna be much better off doing it yourself (other than the frame pull obviously, if needed). My crunch last year was pretty much the exact same spot, but way less minor, with just a dent in the front of the surface but no tweak or bulge, and a much less crunched fender. Still, the body shop bill came to over $3K. That was the only time I've ever loved insurance! The parts list given to insurance alone cost twice what one of us would have paid at a bone yard and for online or ebay prices. Sorry to hear about all this, but good luck to getting her back on the road!

Worst case, I drop a few hundred at a shop to get the frame straigntened up then I head out to the local U-Pull_it junkyard(s) and see what I can find.

If there is anything you can't find there let me know, I know of at least 6 Pathfinders in local yards here (Ohio). :beer:

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good! If there's one thing I've learned about highway driving, it's not just to keep a good buffer, but to always have an escape route. I am constantly checking my mirrors so I can know which lane is open to swerve into should something do down.

Looks good! If there's one thing I've learned about highway driving, it's not just to keep a good buffer, but to always have an escape route. I am constantly checking my mirrors so I can know which lane is open to swerve into should something do down.

Me too, but most of the time I'm too busy trying to run the people who don't know how to merge into the ditch :angry:

Me too, but most of the time I'm too busy trying to run the people who don't know how to merge into the ditch :angry:

And trying to force jerks who speed up to block you from merging when you are doing it right! :furious:

well, my 'out' was into the median and towards the ditch. Problem was that the heep I hit had the same idea.

And trying to force jerks who speed up to block you from merging when you are doing it right! :furious:

People here if they are on the road they will either speed up or slow down rather than stay constant, the people merging tend to either speed up just enough to cut you off or stop and wait for an invitation rather than match speed and fall into place. I constantly get behind people on the on ramp who go 25 until they reach the end of the ramp, then speed up.

But my refferance above was to the people who decide that if they pull beside me and stay there while they are merging into my lane, under the assumption I'll hit the brakes for them. Really pisses me off I just keep my constant speed and let them figure out what to do about it. Speed up, slow down, go into the ditch I don't care frankly.

Replaced with new Nissan parts (no aftermarket crapola). The only thing they fixed rather than replace was the drivers soor since I have my graphics. The blended the front edge and clear coated the entire door. New hood, bumper, grill, brush guard, antenna, radiator support, wheelhouse assembly, flares, fender, mud-guard, splashguard, lights, lenses, etc. I have to move my fogs since they mounted them on top fo the bar rather than below it but that's easy to do.