Simple but efficient OBDII IPhone adaptable code reader?

MTGunner

Looking to purchase an IPhone adaptable code reader for my 2000 Pathfinder. Want something simple and easy to read and compatible to my IPhone. Not a computer wizard but can decipher information. MTG

Edited by MTGunner

Back when I had an iPod touch (I have a galaxy s10 now) I used torque and bought a generic obd2 blue tooth adapter and it worked fine for me. That was at least 5 years ago and I still use the app and same adapter with my s10.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I bought a cheap Bluetooth adapter years ago and used Torque (as mentioned above by @jjmwilkinson) Still use both of them to this day.  It's proven to be very reliable and great for basic OBDII code reading. In addition to giving real-time information.  The Adapter is actually plugged into my cars OBDII port full time.  but note that I use these with Android, so YMMV.

I remember when I was researching these things that iOS had compatibility issues with BT devices IIRC.. wasn't my focus so I don't remember exactly. But I see the one linked by @XPLORx4 uses WiFi, his word is good enough to trust in it, but if you look at other devices do your research to make sure they will work with your iOS version and device.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have only just solved this issue myself. I have an R50, with a VG33E engine. It  has the OBD II socket, but doesn't talk OBD II. I tried several ELM327 devices with no luck. Finally found a solution with a Consult I adapter (14 Pin DDL Consult Interface USB (ebay)). I looked very hard for a OBD II to Consult I lead/convertor but ended up building my own (not difficult, I can supply more information).

I haven't worked out how to use Torque with it, but I have Nissan DataScan I ($10) running on my Android head unit.

It all works very well now, except I am yet to use this new information to fix my misfire problem, and P0325 error code.

Pin Consult I   OBD (Pin)   Description.
1 RX – Green --> 13   Receive
2 TX – Yellow --> 12   Transmit
7 +12V - Orange --> 8   Power
8 GND – Red --> 4   Earth
9 CLK – Brown --> 14   Clock
10 SP – Black --> 4   Connected internally to Pin 8. Perhaps not required.

• 2 years later...

The app you talk about is compatible with iPhones, easy to use, and has a user-friendly app that you can download for free. The app is straightforward and provides clear explanations for any codes it finds, so you don't need to be a tech genius to understand what's going on. Another option is the FIXD OBD2 Professional Bluetooth Scan Tool, which is similarly easy to use and provides helpful information about your car's performance. And by the way, have you heard about Smart Engines OCR SDK? It's a powerful tool for optical character recognition that could come in handy in a variety of applications.

Edited by gretasgreens

Just bought a Pathy and use a ELM327 adapter with the Car Scanner and free Consult II app.

I can't find anything related to the transmission. I know these have a transmission temperature sensor, and I want to be able to see it along with any TCM codes.

Before I start trying all sorts of different apps, anyone got a solution?

3 hours ago, Gscottyengineering said:

Just bought a Pathy and use a ELM327 adapter with the Car Scanner and free Consult II app.

I can't find anything related to the transmission. I know these have a transmission temperature sensor, and I want to be able to see it along with any TCM codes.

It sounds like your scanner is unable to read the transmission temp, however coolant temp is gonna be relatively close to transmission temp. so you can use that as a reference, I hope this helps.

Chris.

On 3/31/2023 at 6:48 PM, Gscottyengineering said:

I don't believe the r50 has a trans temp sensor.

On 4/10/2023 at 3:42 PM, Gscottyengineering said:

It has an "AT Overtemp" light, so that must be just an on/off switch then?

Yes. It's also not an OBDII reported signal, either. It may be available via Nissan CONSULT, but I've never seen AT Temp available via OBDII on the R50.