Who has camped in the back of their truck?

NovaPath

10 4 thanks guys. Mine does do the thing where the front seats go all the way down to connect to the back, but it looks like I'd be a pretzel by the end of the night. Thinking best option is to fold rear seats down and put a bunch of foam pads and sleeping bags back there, or just hotel it. Temps will be in low 30's and I don't feel like messing with a tent and all that jazz for one night.

Queen mattress will not fit. Queen is 60"x80". Twin air mattress fits ok if you remove the rear seat bottoms.

I agree, I got a 40" X 6 foot air mattress for mine. Fits perfect fit with the seat bottoms removed.

Can't say anything about r50s but I used to like to sleep in the back of mine on rainy nights. Was like camping in my driveway! (And very relaxing, even if not the most comfortable)

I built this sleeping platform a few years ago, and have used it on several trips. By now I must have spent at least a month sleeping in the truck, and apart from having to remove the seat bottom, it's very simple. I used less than one piece of plywood, some indoor/outdoor carpeting and a piano hinge.

IMG_4335G_zps4c360817.jpg

It folds up very small too:

IMG_4339G_zpse8920d96.jpg

It's worked very well for me, and apart from mounting an upcoming ARB fridge where it sits, I'd continue to use it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I literally crash in the back of mine about 4 times a week. I have a long commute from work and put in 18 hour days so sometimes i just pull out of the way and snooze instead of drive. Since joining this forum, i've learned the (remove the bottom seat) technique and wish i would have joined sooner. That simple trick has free'd up several inches of comfort for me. Thank you!

I throw down a tent camping pad anout 5/8 thick and a 1'' memory foam twin sized mattress topper and a sleeping bag. Its exponentially more comfy than the factory carpet. That said, the mod that SHIFT_Adventure posted above looks incredible an i may borrow the idea.

Thanks again guys, i'm really enjoying all of the information here.

Edited by kane

My only gripe about sleeping in the back of my Pathy is that there's no interior hatch release. It's cumbersome to get out from the rear doors. It would be fantastic to swap in that feature from a QX4.

My only gripe about sleeping in the back of my Pathy is that there's no interior hatch release. It's cumbersome to get out from the rear doors. It would be fantastic to swap in that feature from a QX4.

My qx4 has no interior hatch release that I'm aware of.

Agreed, though for me, I can usually rotate and move out of the passenger side rear door. I put my usually muddy boots under where the sleeping platform goes past the top of the folded seatback on my rubber floor mats. It's a little awkward, but it works well enough.

• Like 1

I've slept in mine a few times, mine has the rear seats that fold forward allowing the rear seats to fold forward flat. I've used it for the drive in theatre too, quite nice on a summer night with the rear tail gate up, some pillows come in handy too.

My wife did make a foam base with a fitted bed sheet for the back that fitted perfectly. After the movie we would roll it up and put some zip ties around it so it was ready for next time. I don't know what ended up happening to it though..seemed to go missing when we moved house a couple of years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone ever slept in the front of their truck? Did anybody know you can recline the front seats to make a chaise lounge with the rear seats? Just gotta pull the front head rests, slide the seat forward, and fully recline it.

I tried this the other night with the rear seat also reclined, and it was actually pretty comfortable.

I saw a pic of this in an old brochure that was showcasing the rear entertainment package that was once an option.