CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

Haha yeah I know. I'm just already all booked up with trips until then. Although you are in NS, if you wanna come up for a weekend, I can certainly arrange something on the fly. NB is an off-roaders paradise.

I have vacation coming up in September, if my truck is ready I will take you up on that! Right now my transfer case will only shift between 2wd and 4LO. I'm hoping to get that sorted out soon though

• Like 1

There is a crash site in Maine. It's in the Mooshead Lake region. There are also a few former WW2 German POW camps that are on the itinerary for this expo.

Wow, just read the article. Terrible way to go.

Would be interesting to visit. I love this type of stuff. Not a crash site specifically, but historically significant points of interest via off road traveling.

So I've replaced my rear OME coils and 2" spacers with 4" WJ lift coils. Now it sists what appears to be factory front to rear ratio of a tiny bit of rake. These coils are definitely HD in comparison to the OME MD's. I might not need my airbags after all. Even with my tire carrier on, it sits a tad higher than level.

This is all good stuff. But I discovered what caused my uneven angles in the front. Some might recall that my driver side and passenger side front control arms and CV's aren't at the same angles. The driver side is a whole inch lower than the front and it appears to be that this spring compresses more than the passenger side. I'm going to contact OME and see what they have to say about it.

Here's a pic of the drive back home. Took a bit of a detour :)

2de5b0b8476305ecbb805e0c8dc342d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Solid. How do you like that Trash-a-roo?

Not sure it was asked previously, but are the upper spring perches oriented correctly? There's a notch that should be towards the motor. On mine there's also a W that faces outward towards the wheel.

Yeah the lower perches are solid anyways, they don't move, so yes the "W" is pointing at the tires. The upper mount WAS wrong on the passenger side right after I flipped the spacers, so I corrected that then. So the struts and perches and spacers are all the way they should be. In my mind the only thing that makes sense is that the spring rate for some reason isn't consistent through both springs.

As for the trasharoo, I haven't used it for its designed purpose yet, I just wanted to see how it fits, looks, and assess the quality. I threw my used old coils in it as I didn't want them rolling and clanking around in the trunk.

Quality seems top notch everything is very solid and thick. The rubber liner inside is robust too, keeping things dry and easy to clean out if need be. I like the Molle Webbing around it so more stuff can be attached. I like attaching more stuff lol as you can see in my trunk setup.

I ended up measuring the size of the actual coil under pressure, both are sitting at 8". I also measured distance from found to the fender in front of the wheel well. Both heights are the same. The optical gap difference from driver to passenger side could be attributed to the rubber flares not being exactly identical. This is ok and makes sense. However what doesn't make sense is that the CV's and lower control arm on the passenger side are slightly angled down whereas they are almost horizontal on the driver. Yet it sists flat and even on a level concrete floor in my garage. This is totally baffling my mind as both sides appear to be exactly the same, yet they aren't.

And here is a side profile pic since the WJ coils went in. Keep in mind this is with over 150lbs sitting on the back hitch.

cfb2e49337f9ee7702b60a1ebbb47961.jpg

That's quite a mystery.

Is your front diff not level? That's the only thing I can think of that would have your vehicle sitting level and the cv axles not being at the same angle.

But your front control arm is different too? Tweaked or bent front subframe?

Maybe the subframe spacers are upside down? :shrug:

Kidding...those don't matter! :new576:

Is the crossmember under the engine (between the front mounts of the LCAs) level too? You may also try measuring under the R200A flanges to see if the axle sits level, though this wouldn't affect the angle of the LCA, only the CV).

the crossmember was 1/2 cm higher on one side over the other. It appears as though the lower control arm would hold one side up higher than the other. I just can't imagine a rubber bushing holding all that weight up. But I will try to undo them both, then lower it down and tighten them back in place. I might have tightened them while off the ground when I replaced them.

Yep, you'd be surprised. The LCA bushings on my Frontier had a serrated edge that purposely gripped the surrounded metal. The reason for torquing rubber bushings on the ground with normal vehicle weight is because it sets the bushing to its operating load range. Otherwise it gets preloaded. Not needed for poly because they are greased up enough to allow rotation.

I don't see where you got the hitch.

Does the tire swing down so you can access the rear? ...or to the side?

Never heard of the trash a roo....that's interesting. I like it. Where did you get it? Canadian product?

Edit* Found it. haha!

Edited by 96Pathfinder4x4

I don't see where you got the hitch.

Does the tire swing down so you can access the rear? ...or to the side?

It installs in his hitch and swings to the side, but has a pass-through receiver currently occupied by one of these:

29312b_2.jpg

• Like 1

That's' right and when it swings out it looks like this...as seen a few pages back.

4394759008a6a974e25d26e1428b3443.jpg

f75ec4f5fe055dee399f3b1c0f63ada6.jpg

And just for fun...just seeing how stiff the new setup really is.

• Like 2