Rear Tire Carrier....is there a weight limit?

I scored a full-size 33" spare off Craigslist. It has a steel wheel. The guy said something about the load rating and heavier side walls making it heavier. BFG KM2 MT.

Anyone mount oversized tires on their swing-out tire carrier?

Wondering if I'm going to need to do some reinforcement...I'm not quite ready to spring for a custom rear bumper just yet...my skid plates were next on the splurge list.

Not meaning to hijack , but this question kinda ties in to one I have .

Has anyone ever noticed a slight flexing of the right rear body where the carrier mounts when swinging out the carrier with a tire mounted ?

I'm not sure on a r50's factory carrier but many people on here with wd21s run full size/oversize spares on many different wheels of varying size/weight/etc. plus mount other things to their carriers as well. Not having a r50 to pop interior panels off and peek I can only assume it would be a similar bracing setup (if not a little more robust due to maybe needing a little more r50s being unibody and relying more on actual shell strength) so I can only assume it would hold just as well as wd21 carriers do.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure dududuckling has a 35" spare on his r50.

It looks like he does.

Ok...since I can't find anything related to modifying the rear carrier, I'm going to figure that I can probably go up to a 35" tire and not be too concerned with weight. Will post pics after I mount it on the carrier. :)

Not meaning to hijack , but this question kinda ties in to one I have .

Has anyone ever noticed a slight flexing of the right rear body where the carrier mounts when swinging out the carrier with a tire mounted ?

Yep. Mine does that, especially when it rides up on the slider that aligns the latch. I tried adjusting it to minimize this and ended up making it rattle more.

I've got a 31" on my stock swing out carrier with no problems.But I dont know how much heavier a 33" is.

I dont have any flexing on mine.I checked it when I bought it and it had the 31" tire on it.I was a little nervous about it.

I took mine off when i first bought my Pathfinder because I didnt really like the look.I put the spare on the roof.I almost sold the carrier.But my wife said you better not you might change your mind.Damn! I hate it when they are right.Too much drag with it on the roof.I put it back on and the truck rides better.Plus I noticed it had a pin to hold it open and out of the way.

• Like 2

I lost that pin somewhere....I keep an allen key in truck for when I need it to stay open. I keep forgetting to weld a chain to it.

I got home too late to mount it last night. I'll have to get to it this weekend.

Also, they don't make a Batman cover that will cover a 33"...I'm going to order a regular and have the Batman cover cut and stitched to the new cover. My kids love it and call it the Batmobile. :D

I had a buddy bend me a piece of metal bar & weld a piece of chain to it. Trouble is, when I first had it I kept trying to close the carrier with the pin in!! :lmao:

Looking forward to seeing the "Batmobile" tire carrier! :laugh::aok:

I mounted the tire today and painted the tire carrier...it was getting a bit rusty. I also want to mount gas cans to the pass side of it...I'm considering the RotaPax.

20131101_112119_zpsa58b405d.jpg

20131101_112112_zpsdeb25ec8.jpg

I ordered the larger cover....just need to wait for it and then find someone that can sew.

• Like 1

I can't say I've put a 37" tall tire, but I do have my 31 with my Steely wheel and I sat on it fully open, all 230lbs of me so I'd say that swing away was over engineered when they made it.

-Kyle

EDIT: post a picture of your rear visibility, I wanna see how much you have left, haha

Edited by ferrariowner123

Jelly of the guys with factory carriers back there. Probably to much hassle to retro fit one.

I would think about the same as adding one to a non-carrier wd21 (which DOES require effort) but probaly easier to get/make a rear bumper with one integrated or if you have a receiver style hitch and don't use it get one of those setups that uses that.

Who cares what's behind you, with those 35" tires you can just drive over it anyway!! :laugh: :laugh:

"What was that bump? Oh, no worries It was just a 4Runner". :rofl:

Edited by theexbrit
  • Like 3

I just read about this thread, it shouldn't be a problem

With 33's and steel wheel... Had this setup for about two years

With 35's and steel wheel... Had this setup for about half a year

IMG_5646_zpsf2efc809.jpg

An updated R50 with a swing away, man you Canadians get all the good stuff!!

:wtf:

I have limo tint on the rear so not much to begin with. I'm installing a backup camera, so even then it won't be too much of an issue. ;)

Ahh, i ask because i had a good laugh when my 31" was installed, so anything bigger would be comical, :lmao:

Who cares what's behind you, with those 35" tires you can just drive over it anyway!! :laugh: :laugh:

"What was that bump? Oh, no worries It was just a 4Runner". :rofl:

:lol:

man you Canadians get all the good stuff!!

Why must I be constantly bated with chances to make funny comments about Canadians? (you know I still love you my Syrup drinking buddys/guys :hugs: )

• Like 1