Need starter, can you recommend a brand?

PamPoovey

I just replaced the starter in May of this year. In July, it began to act like it was failing... and getting worse. Unfortuantely, it's quite flat where I live and work, so no popping the clutch....

My prior starter lasted 4 years. I'm quite sure it was same brand (Ultima) from Checker aka O`Reily auto parts that has recently disappointed me.

I have a Napa Auto Parts, Autozone, CarQuest, and Advance Auto within my area.

Thank you, your recommendation will be greatly appreciated!!!

I kist tr[;svrf ,um gpt,

(sorry, let me look at my keyboard this time Mrs.Cleavage :lol: )

I just installed a Duralast remanufactured starter on another vehicle of mine. It had the original factory manufacturer stamps in the housing and appears to be pretty clean. Of course, I'd have to updated this post four years from now to see how it has "held up" by then. :shrug:

I kist tr[;svrf ,um gpt,

I just installed a Duralast remanufactured starter on another vehicle of mine. It had the original factory manufacturer stamps in the housing and appears to be pretty clean. Of course, I'd have to updated this post four years from now to see how it has "held up" by then. :shrug:

I had a Duralast for two years. No issues.

I went thru hell when I replaced my starter, I highly recommend staying away from local auto parts remanufactured units, I could care less if the thing has a lifetime warranty, if it fails after 3 days ( had that happen to me with my hardbody) and I have to go through the hell of replacing one again they can keep the reman starters.

I was trying to find a new one from Bosch as I heard they were very good but no one had one in stock, so I ended up getting a new one made by Pure Energy from Rockauto, been perfect so far.

Rockauto is showing they have 2 of the Pure Energy ones left in stock $92.79 no core charge with out the 5% discount.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I would not buy alternators and starters from Rock auto. The small chance you get a DOA unit, you get to send it back, more waiting. I've seen DOA units from local parts, dealers, sometimes it just happens. I put in a O'Reillys of some sort, been great for about a year now.

+1 on buying one from some place you can easily take it back to. When mine died, my uncle put a Carquest reman in it which started making horrible squealing noises within a few days. Exchanged it and haven't had any trouble with the new one.

I kist tr[;svrf ,um gpt,

Well, I'm proud of what I was born with so I don't mind :laugh:

Bosch sells them brand new, aye?

Definitely would like to purchase from a place I can exhange -but of course, my goal is not to exchange within a few months of install :angry:

I was really hoping one of you wonderful gents on here would tell me that they have a favourite brand because of the few and far between years you had to replace your starter :lol:

Duralast offering at least 2 years is a lot more enticing than 2 months!

I'm hoping my starter could be cooperative enough to last me through September when my budget will allow such purchase -so any other suggestions, I'm listening :happy:

Well I just looked and I see you have Advance auto Parts near you, Advance is showing a Bosch brand new starter for $173.99 but it says ship to home so probably not available in the store but at least if you ordered one from them you could probably return it to the store if you had to.

You could get a OEM Nissan one from a local dealer or a dealer online (maybe through Rob here on the forum) For aprox $199,

Yes ordering something online is usually cheaper and if you do have a problem it makes returning/replacing a part harder but that would be a decision you would have to make, ordering from Rockauto you will have a better selection, I checked on Oreily Auto Parts and they show 2 starters available for a 95 Pathfinder, one reman, one new, no price listed for the new one says to call.

On rockauto they are listing 8 starters, 5 reman's, 2 new and one that doesn't say, prices start at $68.79 up to $156.79 plus shipping.

I would recommend again the Pure Energy new starter from Rockauto for $92.79 plus the shipping. I will never buy a local Auto parts reman starter too many problems.

Here is a quick history I had with reman starters, way back when I had my 87 hardbody, starter went, bought one from Foreign auto parts store my friend owns, put it in, it lasted THREE DAYS !!!, took it back out, exchanged it for another one LASTED ONE WEEK !!!! Finally he told me he could sell me a Beck Arnley starter for $50 more, I told him he should have told me that from the start !! The Beck Arnley starter was in my hardbody years after with no issues until I got rid of the hardbody.

With my 94 pathfinder, starter started acting up, did the starter relay mod and it was fine for another year, finally took a crap, took it out and had it and the battery tested at Advance both tested fine, put it back in, started acting up again, bought a starter from Advance, reman unit, nothing but problems, it would start fine leaving my house, I would drive somewhere than it wouldn't start, had to tap on the side to get it to start. Pulled it out again, took it to Advance had it tested, it tested fine, they said they couldn't exchange it because it tested fine, called the Corporate office, manager calls me and says they will take it back, I tell him I don't want another of the same that I want a new Bosch, they couldn't get me the Bosch so they gave me my money back for the starter plus the core charge.

Ordered one from a auto parts company online, was taking forever to arrive, called that company, they tell me the Bosch is not available from anywhere, they ask if I will take another starter, supposedly new from a different company, I say OK, starter arrives and it is a reman !!! I call them and tell them it is not what I thought I was going to get, they say I can send it back,

I call Rockauto, they do not have the Bosch either but have the Pure Energy starter and it is new, so I ordered that one, returned the other one and have the Pure Energy starter installed still and is so far working perfectly!!

So no local or online remans for me EVER AGAIN !!!!

ahardb0dy, I completely get why you've 86ed remans from your life!! Wow what a pain!

How long have you been using your Pure Energy?

Is an OEM starter going to equal better longevity? I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for price that is going buy me the most time.

I appreciate you doing a search for parts stores near me!!! You're sweet!

No problem, I have had the Pure Energy starter installed since - 07-21-12. also in the process of re-doing the starter I replaced the positive battery cable from the batt. terminal to the starter solenoid with 4 gauge car audio power cable, I added a second 4 gauge ground wire from one of the starter bolts to the frame, I re-did the wires on the battery terminal (positive) as the stock connector was broke from when I got the truck, and recently I replaced both battery terminals to Military style, see thread here:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/35772-military-style-battery-terminals/

I am still using the starter relay mod also.

I would not think you would have any problems with an OEM starter, I believe they only sell brand new one's, you would have to double check with Rob on that though.

Most of the time the OEM starters last for many years so if you got one it would probably last longer than the truck.

Can't go wrong with OEM, You could even try and rebuild yours yourself if you're handy. It probably just needs new brushes soldered in and a good cleaning/lubing. beer garage has a good write up.

I used a carquest starter on mine. I don't think it was a reman because it didn't have a core charge, but it has a lifetime warranty. I tend to trust carquest/napa stuff more since that is what all the local mechanics here use.

Well I tell you what. I have a receipt from 1991 from a Shucks, now O'Reilly, for a starter for a 620. Along with it are exchange receipts for just about every year after that. That lifetime warranty gives them an excuse to make crappier parts because they know people will just take them back and get a new one. It doesn't show pride in their parts, its just a way to lure people in. The NAPA starter in my '88 has been in there for at least 6 years and I've driven it around with the starter maaaany times.

It would be different if the starter was easy to remove/replace, of course no one wants to have to replace their starter, lifetime warranty or not every year (or less), but I would consider a reman from a local store if the starter was easier to get too.

No matter how easy people say it may be for them to replace the starter in the D21 or WD21 it really isn't that quick to do, yes a body lift makes it easier but if you don't have one it takes longer.,

In my hardbody with the 3" body lift the first time I replaced the starter it took about 10 minutes to unbolt and disconnect the wires and about 2 hours to actually get the thing out, as I said above I had to replace it 3 times in a weeks time so by the third time I could do it in less than a half hour.

If it was the starter in my Sentra I would get the cheapest one I could find as that one can be removed in about 5 minutes.

So if any of you have had good luck with starters where ever you got them from that's good, my info and opinions are based on what I went thru and my suggestions on what to get are based off of them.

Having a starter that outlives my truck? Not being stranded is a dream!!! I was thinking that my Pathy's original starter wasn't replaced until it was 10 years old!

You've all been extremely helpful! And definitely, if the starter was in an easier spot, I can see with going with the cheaper!

Personally, I'd disassemble the starter and try to figure out why it failed. many times it's just carbon buildup from the brushes clogging the commutator and interfering with the electric motor. A good cleaning, especially since the damned things sit beneath the oil sending unit, may work wonders. I've used the same starter for the past 2 failures and she's still going string after a cleaning.

I did that on my Sentra when it started doing the click click thing. All I did was take it apart and wipe the inside of the case and the copper, put it back together and it's been fine ever since.

Come to think of it I did the same thing when my power window motor on my Front Pass door window would go down but not back up, removed the motor, removed 2 bolts, took the housing cover off, wiped it out and wiped the copper windings, put it back together, working ever since !!

Edited by ahardb0dy

Personally, I'd disassemble the starter and try to figure out why it failed. many times it's just carbon buildup from the brushes clogging the commutator and interfering with the electric motor. A good cleaning, especially since the damned things sit beneath the oil sending unit, may work wonders. I've used the same starter for the past 2 failures and she's still going string after a cleaning.

So what type of equipment/ cleaner do I need to clean it? FYI this behaviour began prior to the oil change that eventually followed 2 months later.... if it matters.

Come to think of it I did the same thing when my power window motor on my Front Pass door window would go down but not back up, removed the motor, removed 2 bolts, took the housing cover off, wiped it out and wiped the copper windings, put it back together, working ever since !!

My front passenger window works great rolling down but soooo sluggish rolling up -I wonder if that could help....

I would say either electrical contact cleaner or brake clean.

Try spraying the rubber weatherstripping that the glass makes contact with ( the sides only) using a pure silicone spray. Spray it on heavy and let it run down the window tracks. I did that on mine months ago and the windows still go up and down fast.

The oil dripping from the sending unit can get in and gum things up but it is typically carbon dust/sludge combination buildup in the commutator slots that causes the issue. I pulled the guts out, cleaned the entire entire thing with a little napthalonene on a rag (coleman camping fuel). That gets rid of the oil/sludge. Then I took an old toothbrush dipped in the same solvent and brushed out the commutator slots. I would avoid stronger solvents like carb cleaner or MEK since they 'may' eat into the coating on the wires or other vital parts.

Rotor1-vi.jpg

Edited by k9sar

Thanks for the tips!

Looking at the link that b0dy provided, wooo just made me extra tired LoL It doesn't help that I clean livestock trailers 6 days a week... It just looks like a job that is going to eat up my only day off, so I'll play with it after I have a replacement installed.

I'm going to try that window tracks tip tomorrow, thank you -I'm really looking forward to see if that does the trick!

Rob is a very helpful parts guy who works at a Nissan dealer in Texas. See his thread here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/18653-genuine-nissan-parts/

And I appear!

I of course fully recommend the OEM starter. Then again I generally tend to recommend the OEM everything.........I wonder why? :)

Part Number: 23300-88G01R

Description: REMAN STARTER ASSY

$200.80 (NISSAN LIST: 291.13)

CORE CHARGE: $60.00

Almost all of the Nissan starters (and alternators) are rebuilt in the US - here in Dallas to be specific. They have nice stickers that say 'remanufactured in the USA' on them. There are a few that are remanufactured in Mexico.

/ START RANT

Here is the deal on these type parts ....Back 10-12 years ago all the aftermarket starters/alternators and so forth went from being rebuilt in north america to other places. Now all the ones you get from the large autoparts stores are rebuilt in Malaysia and the Philipines.

I am sorry, They just dont last.

To be blunt, if you buy cheap you get what you buy. I seriously believe in the modern day with walmart and china and importing everything that you get what you pay for. People are so desperate or 'trained' to get the lowest price that they spend more long term. I really believe now that higher price = quality and I am willing to pay more for that, especially when it comes to my vehicles.

I have found myself more often than not asking what the HIGHEST price is first for this reason.

Now granted, there are a few OEM things for my Nissans I just cant bring myself to buy, such as a OEM radiator for $600 when I can get a Kyoto or Mishimoto for $180-$200 and I know it is better quality.....but you will not see me getting the cheap $69 one on my truck ever.

As pointed out above I have seen over and over and dealt over and over with this. People going to the autoparts store and getting a rebuilt starter/alternator/distributor from them because it is less then the dealer and has a LIFETIME warranty then they get it put in and it lasts 3 days or a month or they are replacing it once a year. If you are replacing it over and over -even if the part is under warranty- and you are paying someone to put it in at a repair shop.....that gets very expensive. Adn people think the dealer is ripping them off! If you do it yourself like a bunch of us here do...well its annoying to be doing it too often. Its not that the dealer is overcharging (though some indeed do!) it is the part from them and the part from Ebay or a parts store are not comparable in quality and you PAY for quality; and quality, at least in my mind these days = dependable and no worries about fitment and how long it will last.

I will also add that - it may be a surprise- about 75% of the OEM parts you get at your dealer are..........wait for it.............MADE IN THE US! (the other major sources being Japan and Canada)

I have seen a BIG shift in aftermarket parts now being made overseas.

/ END RANT