Horse power upgrades for the 3.3

DsR50

we all know these things arent made to race but i still enjoy getting on it and making that waisted gas well spent with the adrenaline that flows. I also own a 13 sec 1/4 mile 71 lemans (not crazy fast but fun to drive) so making a pathfinder try to satisfy those standards :laugh:and hard but i think possible so whats out there. Cheap easys or alittle money spenders that keep this engine or another engine that is direct fit

There's probably some slack in your gas pedal, adjusting might help a little. FE-3 of the FSM has the adjustment procedure. Also adjust the cruise wire at this time; the EL section of the FSM has the procedure. I'd post the exact page number but I'm on my phone at the moment.

A partially restricted or clogged fuel filter can impact the ability to reach higher RPMs, so change that out if it's over two years old.

As for actual modifications, I'm clueless, sorry.

There's probably some slack in your gas pedal, adjusting might help a little. FE-3 of the FSM has the adjustment procedure. Also adjust the cruise wire at this time; the EL section of the FSM has the procedure. I'd post the exact page number but I'm on my phone at the moment.

A partially restricted or clogged fuel filter can impact the ability to reach higher RPMs, so change that out if it's over two years old.

As for actual modifications, I'm clueless, sorry.

thanks for the input! every thing helps

Also check the condition of vac lines, EGR, codes, anything that might be holding it back. I've heard good things about seafoaming the intake but I haven't tried it on mine yet.

If you're good with engine internals, you can bore out VG33 to make a VG34.

Also, the VG33 engine was offered with a supercharger on Xterras and Frontiers. I don't think it would be straight bolt-on (you'd probably need to swap the computer) but I can't see why it wouldn't work on an R50.

• Like 1

Also check the condition of vac lines, EGR, codes, anything that might be holding it back. I've heard good things about seafoaming the intake but I haven't tried it on mine yet.

If you're good with engine internals, you can bore out VG33 to make a VG34.

Also, the VG33 engine was offered with a supercharger on Xterras and Frontiers. I don't think it would be straight bolt-on (you'd probably need to swap the computer) but I can't see why it wouldn't work on an R50.

yea theres quite a bit of wiring modification that goes in to the super charger, id rather turbo it. as far as the EGR vacum i will be pluging that. it will set a code but gives you a couple horses

My advice would be to build a 10 sec lemans and keep the pathy engine as stock as possible. My own reason for this is reliability. I don't mind building our family wrx up a bit, turbos respond well with some bolt on's and a tune. Our pathy is regularly hours down some trail, in very inconvenient places for a breakdown.

I'm not saying that headers, an intake or exhaust will necessarily lead to failure. Just that in a low compression, NA vehicle, your not going to get enough benefits from your mods, or dollars, to make it worth it.

Tires, underbody protection, suspension work, this is where my money would go, IMHO.

After years with this vehicle its hard to find anything cheap that's made specifically for the R50. Anything you want for it is usually exclusive to one manufacture (Jim Wolfe Technology, Stillen) or its been custom made, both of which cost a grip.

I so happen to own two of Nissan's most neglected models in the aftermarket scene. The R50 and the Altima L30.

• Like 1

There really isn't much you can do with a VG motor because most of it already is as good as it can get.

Here are some items I can suggest:

Do a full exhaust system in 2.5" with headers to increase the flow at higher rpms.

Install an electric fan to restore a little horsepower.

Port the heads. (Nissan for some weird reason never finished the head castings so there are small steps left in the valve holes.)

Swap to Euro or VG30E camshafts.

Increase compression with flat top pistons or a turbocharger. (Some Xterras with a VG33E came supercharged.)

Now I don't know of any flat top VG33E pistons being available but you can bore the 3.3 to a 3.4 and run VH45DE pistons but duplicate the VG30E valve reliefs in them.

These mods should get you where you want to be.

Buy a VQ....thats a 70hp gain and 75lbft of tq just stock lol

and spending endless weekends replacing O2's MAF's, CPS, and any of the codes that a VQ owner goes through,

If you are suggesting an engine swap, a VG33ER is the way to go, SUPERCHARGED!!!!

I MEAN LOOK AT THE POWER GAINS!!!!

8459962078_4bd6f3b950_c.jpg
3,000,000 HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But in all seriousness, this supercharger gets you about 40 more HP, and 40 more torques,
This guy supercharged his VG30E, another good thread
But the supercharger option would be fairly expensive, i've heard guys paying $1000 and up for JUST the supercharger, you'd be better off find a wrecked X-terra or frontier and getting engine as a whole, that way you can get the extra stuff, like the harmonic balancer, the exhaust manifolds, and all of the upper intake witch craft, needed.
Huge was of resources if you ask me for 40 extra HP, do what tyler did and swap a VH45 in it, its around 300Hp, and VH's are easy to come by, unlike the supercharged VG's
Thats what i'd do.
This thread is full of some much win
-Kyle
Edited by ferrariowner123
  • Like 1

euro cams, headers and a full exhaust system will net you some ponies, and a sweet sounding rig!

EGR is debatable on horsepower gains, the only time it actually works is while you're cruising on the freeway anyway. when your wide open it is not functioning. the only reason to delete EGR is if you're putting a different motor in and you can block it off the right way (instead of just plugging it) or if your headers aren't implemented for it.

I have never had issues with MAF, coil packs, crankshaft position sensors, none of that @!*%. Just get a 2001.5 or newer and you will most likely be fine.

Alright so i might have been generalizing a little, but still, there is not a day that goes by where. i feel at least, some newbie over on NICO, or even on here, post some sort of VQ related issue.

IDK, maybe im just jealous of all that extra power. :lmao:

-Kyle

Gotta love a vehicle with almost zero aftermarket.... I wont waste my money getting an actual dyno reading/comparison, seat dyno tells me I gained a few ponies. Merging onto the highway is definitely better/easier.

"Mods" I have done over the years

Jim Wolf "pop charger"

Magnaflow catback with resonator delete (reputable muffler shopI used recommended 2.25 over 2.5, not mandrel bent, would recommend getting mandrel if money tree owner)

Spectre intake (make it with their pieces)--I think I found the part no's needed on this site years ago

Removed all the plastic air ducting etc going to the stock airbox, adding corrugated hose to front bumper for a very generic "ram air idea"

Cant say any of the basic maint/upgrades helped with HP but certainly cant hurt:

Full synthetics in engine, transfer, differentials

Replace fuel filter

silverton was right, it definitely sounds good!

Edited by GRNMACHINE

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="adamzan" data-cid="654135" data-time="1360457569"><p>

What about the fact that the vq burns more oil than gas after a certain mileage.</p></blockquote>

Mine doesn't burn a drop even after 5k miles at 139k. Excessive oil consumption is more than likely caused by improper maintenance or maybe an ingested power valve screw causing engine damage (a rarity).

The VG seems to get better fuel economy numbers than the VQ in Pathfinders. The VG is also much simpler and easier to work on. On top of that the VG makes more low end power than a VQ. Probably from the head design differences. My WD21 feels a lot more responsive than a R50. It would lose to an R50 in a race but it feels easier to drive the WD21 around.

I have both and one more time the vg does not have better low end power or any better power at any rpm that i can feel or see and my vg33e only has 25,000 miles engine and trans. fuel ecomnomy i doubt that too my scan gauge in the 01 averages about 18-19 in the city(i have a very straight route to work) and in the 97 i average 16-18 main reasonis i have to be higher in the torque band for longer say 2200rpm to get to 45 where as the 01 i get to 45 way shorter and cruiise there. And lets not forget coil on plug vs. distributer my 01 can adjust th timing based on the ecu reading and tps monitring for better fuel econmy not much but better a distributer can only adjust the timing so much without adjustment by hand. Sorry for the rant but i just dont agree at all.

Now if u ask which one is easier to work vg33 all day hands down.

and to get back on point i would just get a superhager for a frontier or exterra and call it a day most bang for the buck in my opinon.

and spending endless weekends replacing O2's MAF's, CPS, and any of the codes that a VQ owner goes through,

If you are suggesting an engine swap, a VG33ER is the way to go, SUPERCHARGED!!!!

I MEAN LOOK AT THE POWER GAINS!!!!

8459962078_4bd6f3b950_c.jpg
3,000,000 HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But in all seriousness, this supercharger gets you about 40 more HP, and 40 more torques,
This guy supercharged his VG30E, another good thread
But the supercharger option would be fairly expensive, i've heard guys paying $1000 and up for JUST the supercharger, you'd be better off find a wrecked X-terra or frontier and getting engine as a whole, that way you can get the extra stuff, like the harmonic balancer, the exhaust manifolds, and all of the upper intake witch craft, needed.
Huge was of resources if you ask me for 40 extra HP, do what tyler did and swap a VH45 in it, its around 300Hp, and VH's are easy to come by, unlike the supercharged VG's
Thats what i'd do.
This thread is full of some much win
-Kyle

I think thats the best thing to do

Haha you know you can get multi quote now right? Jk pulling your leg.

The supercharged Idea would be nice but still it's $1400 and up for a full conversion. There is a thread on the xterra forums of how to covert an N/A VG, to supercharged (I can post it when I get home if anyone is interested, has part numbers and everything) but it seems like a lot of cash for only 40 hp, I think some JWT cams would be a better investment for power. Or like I said, V8!!!!!!!!!!! POWERRRRRRR

lol

-Kyle

Haha you know you can get multi quote now right? Jk pulling your leg.

The supercharged Idea would be nice but still it's $1400 and up for a full conversion. There is a thread on the xterra forums of how to covert an N/A VG, to supercharged (I can post it when I get home if anyone is interested, has part numbers and everything) but it seems like a lot of cash for only 40 hp, I think some JWT cams would be a better investment for power. Or like I said, V8!!!!!!!!!!! POWERRRRRRR

lol

-Kyle

lol V8 would tear the frame i feel like, and yea it is alot of work for 40hp so maybe do it when the motor is toast. tossing a cam in there is going to suck gas worse then it already does