dash lights

Dg123

Yup! I got some leds off superbriteleds.com and put them in the little twist lock things the old bulbs were mounted to, dimmer still works too. Ill look tomorrow which led i got. The 'bulb finder' didnt show any for the dash. I believe it was five bulbs not including the clock light

This is my R50's instrument cluster: http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/Towncivilian/led%20conversion/IMG_0645.jpg

R50s use #74 bulbs in all spots, though from the WD21 clusters I've seen I believe they are larger bulbs. Possibly 168? Not sure, sorry. I think Tungsten should know, I'm pretty sure he's done an LED conversion too.

Edited by Towncivilian
  • Like 1

Definitely 5 bulbs in my 95. I used 194 style leds, cost $1.39 each.

Wouldnt recommend the color i got, it actually is mainly UV light as advertised so you cant really make out the dials too well unless its pretty dark.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q6/iTHINKiHAVE_add/7733C1B5-42BF-445B-B238-01FDE4F52EAF-5464-0000021FEEFB6058_zps4660eef4.jpg

LED on left, original bulb on the right

Edited by tdauria

can i purchase new LEDs for the two ceiling lights above the dash and the lamp in the back bench? does any1 know if you can just buy an led and stick it in there or would i need to wire resistors and crap

I bought a universal kit off Amazon, it has a little spring-loaded bit that plugs in where the bulb used to be and then plugs into a board with 48 surface-mount LEDs on it. I'm not fond of the stark white color (vs the warmer glow of the factory bulbs) but it puts out a whole lot more light. Mounting was pretty easy but there isn't any clearance between the board and the dome light cover, so there's no real diffusion going on. Not the cleanest install.

• Like 1

what does it look like installed/ what do you mean by not the cleanest install?

I mean the lights are right up against the lens, and kind of off to one side of it, which just looks odd to me. Plus it's right up against the plastic so you can kind of see each little light when it's on. Proper conversion bulbs go right where the factory one did, this kit's a board that sticks on maybe a half-inch lower. Nothing to write home about and for $5 I can't complain too loud. :)

Top is factory, bottom is with the kit.

Picture15.png

Nevermind the power plug coming through the lens, that's unrelated... part of my redneck fan setup to keep the inside cool when it's parked in the sun.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Ooh I would love to hear about this fan setup haha mine cooks in the summer (zero tint/privacy glass)

P1010005_zpsc4f98938.jpg

Pop the sunroof, hang the fan, plug it in. The connector's tapped to constant power at the dome light switch. Only problem is the blade whacking my finger now and then when I go to shut it off.

/thread jack

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

The trouble with LEDs is that they tend to have a fairly small viewing angle (as opposed to the stock bulbs which throw light everywhere). Viewing angle depends on the specs of the kit and the specs of the LED so I imagine it varies quite a bit. I took apart an iPod Nano a while back and found a sheet of textured clear plastic on the backlight to scatter/even out the light. Maybe try putting some gift wrap tape or tissue paper or something over the light to scatter it a little?

While on the lighting topic, I happened to notice that I can't see where my shifter is when it's dark. For my 95 auto trans, are the P-R-N-D-1-2 little squares on the console supposed to light up? I don't think I ever paid attention to it.

While on the lighting topic, I happened to notice that I can't see where my shifter is when it's dark. For my 95 auto trans, are the P-R-N-D-1-2 little squares on the console supposed to light up? I don't think I ever paid attention to it.

Yeah there is a light there. It's not to to hard to change but you have to pull the console to get the shifter base off.

If you use omnidirectional LEDs for illumination, the lighting should be fairly even. I used tri-SMD LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs in my cluster and they are fine. I also have LEDs in everything else. If I use the dimmer switch, some bulbs buzz and depending on the setting they even flicker.

162805_471751704074_7428414_n.jpg

Yep. Done with bulbs from superbrightleds.

Hi Tugsten,

So how many BULBS have you used for this entire cluster setup?

Are they all 194 or NEO3 bulbs?

Is that the "Cool White" color?

William