seafoam in a 95 w/ ~200k?

jdubs12

hey,

From what I read a lot of you guys like the seafoam in the crankcase...I have almost 200k on my truck, is it worth trying out or do you think it will bugger my seals etc.?

Also, has anyone ever ran it through the exhaust or in the gas tank?

Why do you think you need to run Seafoam in the crankcase? Do you have some nasty noise, poor performance, etc?

For fuel system cleaning, there are more effective chemicals than Seafoam. FSCs that contain polyether amines (PEA) like Chevron Techron, Gumout Regane, Redline SI-1, CRC Guaranteed To Pass, etc are proven to clean effectively without leaving deposits of their own like solvent based cleaners such as Seafoam do.

Edited by Towncivilian

My Dad kept a Tercel on the road for 240k (carburated) with Seafoam in his gas. It was the only way he'd pass emissions. I guess the theory is it helps burn more of the fuel - making your emissions super clean. It was the temporary solution we needed to keep the car on the road until we could get a different one.

I'm not sure why you'd run it in your crank case. I'd expect it would just thin out your oil.

Had a local shop weld one in, but you can get a bolt in replacement iirc

Bolt in should be simple enough as long as the existing bolts come out without much trouble.

Before you take that step you should figure out if that is your problem or not. Some shops will check it out for free, if you ask them.

So it drives fine but struggles on hills? Mine does that if I leave the overdrive on. Assuming yours is auto, try going up a hill with the O/D off and see how that works for you. They'll slip into OD while cruising and then try to bog up a hill in it.

I've heard that seafoaming the intake helps get some power back. There's some disagreement about putting it in the crank case, not for fear of buggering the seals, but on the off chance that the crud it loosens could clog something else.

When I got mine, the exhaust was hammered, and at least one of the two cats it had was clogged. It got a lot quieter and seemed to pick up a little power with a new exhaust.

What kind of hills? Mine goes up most fine in OD. Only sometimes will unlock the torque converter and rarely will it shift to 3rd. It shouldn't "bog" at all if it is running correctly. I would check all your sensors as per the FSM. You could always remove your cat, install a test pipe, and see if that makes a difference, if it does then you know that is your problem. Is your timing set correctly? If it isn't it won't perform like it should. These aren't fast trucks but it shouldn't struggle to climb a hill.

Also are you running stock sized tires? (either 235/75/15 or 31x10.5x15) Running 33" tires will knock out a bit of power especially on grades.

Tune up? Clogged exhaust? Any trouble codes showing on the ECU? Severe lack of power usually indicates something more than a can of fluid is required. :shrug:

B

firm believer in this, I tend to believe Seafoam is nothing more than a smoke show and snake oil due to my own personal experiences, though I know some people swear by it (and more power to them, I know people who think pumping the gas pedal on their electronic throttle fuel injected cars helps it start. It gives you piece of mind, enjoy). I'd do as suggested and check for a problem starting with checking for codes and things like making sure timing is correct as stated