Successful install of MSD coil 8228 No mess no fuss :)

gv280z

I read someones post in this forum a little while back and showed a pic of the MSD coil 8228 and mentioned it looked like a direct match up for our coil mount and harness setup, so I looked into it.

Yesterday I picked one up, took a look at it while still sealed safely (and return-ably to get money back!) inside the plastic. Once you open one of these up and try to hook it up, that's it, it's yours until you can sell it to someone else, no returns. Anyway I immediately noticed the little round prongs / posts inside the harness plug and was concerned that the coil on our wd21s had some kind of flat spade connector and it wasn't going to fit, damnit!

2012-08-04115916.jpg

Well, I'll leave it in the packaging and take a look at my coil and see if it could possibly be a match.

This morning I got into it. Removed the harness connector and couldn't really get a good idea of it from looking at the receptacle,

2012-08-04115504.jpg

so I removed the coil and looked in the end of it. It has two posts the same distance apart as the MSD coil,

2012-08-04115716.jpg

So at this point I'm kinda at a loss, it's not an exact match BUT it looks close enough that it may still work, the only way I can know is if I open up the package and take the new MSD coil out and try it, all the while hoping and praying that A. it doesn't burn anything up and B. It works!

2012-08-04120157.jpg

2012-08-04120131.jpg

So I mounted it up, was able to get the harness to fit in the plug receiver, and get the coil wire end to snap on to the male post, so far so good...

2012-08-04115034.jpg

2012-08-04115231.jpg

2012-08-04115136.jpg

2012-08-04115405.jpg

And voila! It worked! Yay! Nothing is smoking or damaged and it works :) In the pic below you can tell the engine is running by looking at the fan, it's a blur as opposed to the pic above with the engine turned off, fan stationary.

2012-08-04091216.jpg

here's a little video: [media=]http://youtu.be/78-aleJoX1w[/media]

I did go for a test drive after this and it ran great. It ran great before though also so I won't actually know the real benefit until I can start to get a read on my mpg, but it did feel pretty tough. So now you know, those of you who had any question on this before, you can add 40,000 new fresh MSD'EED volts to your ride.

Greg

Edited by gv280z

I don't know if there is even a benefit to installing an MSD coil. Pathfinder ignition systems are crazy good. If it makes you happy though...

It's pretty cool how the factory harness fit but you should change the coil wire, that looks way too sketchy.

lucky the 2 pins in the MSD are the same as the stock coil I mean in positive and negative ( if one pin is actually a positive and negative), would suck if you plugged it in and the MSD was wired opposite of the stock coil !!

What's the price difference between the MSD and stock?

I got this at a speed center for $47 plus tax so right at $50, I think the OEM is about $10 - $15 cheaper. Okay, I will fix the coil wire and yes, I guess I am lucky the polarity matched up, I'm not sure what would have happened had it been opposite. I mean the voltage is only going one way, I don't think it would have come back into the electrical system through the harness but who knows.

Nissan Ignition coils for the early VG ranged from 22-28,000 Volts which is pretty strong....

But the Coil he used is 40,000 volts (safe to open plug gaps 0.03 more OR run longer time between plug changes) but the best part is that it has higher primary resistance so no additional resistors are needed. (primary resistance LOWER than stock can damage stock Ignition modules unless a ballast resistor is used)

Looks like the bolt pattern is the the same too, so really all he needs is to change the coil wire.

HOW does the connector look inside after you unplug it? is it ovalized some?

Edited by MY1PATH

The stock Nissan ignition is strong enough to run without a center contact in the distributor cap. It merely arcs the gap from the contact tensioner spring to the rotor and runs merrily along. I honestly see little reason to upgrade a stock VG Pathy ignition, it certainly is not a weak point. If someone has a failure and needs a replacement, this $50 replacement isn't a bad idea though... ;)

B

But I want more power / gas mileage and I have to mess with stuff! It's in my nature, I can't help it I just have to tinker with stuff and try to make it better. To buy a toy like this and then never play with it or put my own spin on it, leave it completely bone stock original is just sad, even though I'm totally aware that this vehicle in bone stock plain jane form was 100 % fantastic on it's name day. My truck is bone stock with 4 wheel drive, and a k&n filter (no lift, tires, suspension work, engine work or exhaust) and with weak sidewalled highway tread 235 75 / 15 Kumho Solus KR 21 crappy tires, this truck has taken my son and I on some terrifying adventures and gotten us through unscathed. We have been through some scary crap and never got stuck, close though. I love it, and I acutally bought this thing with the intention of having it serve as my family's Arc when things get crazy, socially speaking. It's our escape pod.

2011-10-02171842.jpg

If you want more power and gas mileage, it's not going to be cheap. VG motors tend to be very expensive to modify properly since they are already perfect in many departments. There are many extra things you can do like higher compression pistons but other than changing the exhaust and maybe tinkering with the intake, you are going to have to strip it down to the point where you might as well swap a newer VG33E into it if you are serious about power.

Regardless of the pros and cons, that's good information for those that may very well just want to install an MSD coil in the future! Great job on the post and the pictures are excellent!

Edited by tmoore4512

I don't have a need for it, haviing a few spares laying around but I like that it's shiny red :lol: nice to know its fairly strait forward for someone needing a replacement

For My1path: I did go back and take another look at the plug harness after it had been on there for a while and I couldn't percieve any "ovalness" to the electrical contacts in the harness, I think they may have a little springy action to them to help keep their shape.

Tungsten I'm sure you have probably heard this before, but let me assure you I mean it when I say I'm not ever going to actually do any serious engine work on this, unless it's for a repair like a blown head gasket or something and then it wouldn't even be me doing the work, it'd be my trusted mechanic. The most I feel like I want to get into it will be purely bolt on equipment. If I did anything to the engine, it would be to have it swapped out for a turbo diesel. I'm 37 years old, I'm trying to get a loan for a house and take care of my family, I cannot be dropping thousands of bucks into this. Hell I'm having to budget out a set of tires (cheap tires, like $120 each!) 2 at a time piece meal. With the exception of some good offroad tires that won't stick me in the mud at the worst possible time (say for instance when running from people who want to kill me and my family for our food and water supplies) I know in my heart my truck is already capable performing the task for which I bought it for which is to have a tough vehicle for emergency evacuation amid chaos and be able to protect us and all our gear and supplies. Sorry for going on a negative tangent but I have been over run with doubt regarding our economy and I fear the chaos that would / will ensue there-after, meaning a crash. In my mind I have become the crazy homeless guy holding a sign screaming "The end is nigh!!"

No, the MSD was totally irrelevant and unnecessary and I was stupid to take the risk. I'm lucky it worked out. Sorry NPORA for going political and negative on you.

• Like 1

No, the MSD was totally irrelevant and unnecessary and I was stupid to take the risk. I'm lucky it worked out.

thats how stuff is found out, gotta take risks now and then :aok: (I think I'm gonna paint one of my spares red and bug MSD for a free sticker so I can lie and say I have one :lol: ...wait, that requires effort)

Don't know what size or thread tires you want but the Falken Rocky Mountain all terrains I bought for my 94 in 31/10.50/15 and paid $138 each are now down to $108 at Discount Tire ( if you have them near you). Tires ride really well, haven't been off road with them yet.

Hey thanks for the tip HardBody but I've got a couple issues with the Falken offroad tires, although I actually do have a set of Falken's on my wife's Altima! Those Rocky mtns have an aspect that I can't get my mind around and so it kills it for me. I've got my choices wittled down to Cooper Discoverer AT/3, General Grabber AT2 or maybe a Hankook tire. I got a really good review today from a Hankook Dynapro AT and MT owner, full size z-71 4x4 said he had burried and the AT tires pulled him out of it, also said the MT's did really well offroad and wet traction wasn't bad either. Just when I think I've finally made up my mind I read a really bad review about that tire and makes me switch back to the other one.

you just named 2 brands of tires I will never buy ! LOL, Cooper and general, unless they changed them from how they were way back I won't buy those, kelly is another brand I won't buy. I saw a Hummer one day with Dynapro MT's on it, I liked how they looked like the old BFG MT's.

Tungsten I'm sure you have probably heard this before, but let me assure you I mean it when I say I'm not ever going to actually do any serious engine work on this, unless it's for a repair like a blown head gasket or something and then it wouldn't even be me doing the work, it'd be my trusted mechanic. The most I feel like I want to get into it will be purely bolt on equipment. If I did anything to the engine, it would be to have it swapped out for a turbo diesel.

Most people feel the same way as you do. Sorry to say that there really is no cheap bolt on equipment that will increase performance significantly. Just the way it is.

Here are the things you can do as a bolt-on:

E-fan conversion

Aftermarket exhaust with headers

EGR-BPT valve or disable the EGR permanently

That will give you a good 10-15 hp increase at the minimum.

Before you do any of those though, make sure the engine is tuned up and running smoothly.

Falken Rocky Mountain all terrains I bought for my 94 in 31/10.50/15 and paid $138 each are now down to $108 at Discount Tire

Must be a regional thing. Still 138 out in Northern Cali. If they were 108 I might pick a set up just because I have mismatched (2 Mesa A/T and 2 pretty new Falken street tire) from the PO. I've been looking at the General Grabber AT2 (buddy has a set and am waiting to see how they do in dirt) or Good Year Wrangler Authority.

No, the MSD was totally irrelevant and unnecessary and I was stupid to take the risk. I'm lucky it worked out. Sorry NPORA for going political and negative on you.

Screw the naysayers. We like irrelevant upgrades here!

For My1path: I did go back and take another look at the plug harness after it had been on there for a while and I couldn't percieve any "ovalness" to the electrical contacts in the harness, I think they may have a little springy action to them to help keep their shape.

Tungsten I'm sure you have probably heard this before, but let me assure you I mean it when I say I'm not ever going to actually do any serious engine work on this, unless it's for a repair like a blown head gasket or something and then it wouldn't even be me doing the work, it'd be my trusted mechanic. The most I feel like I want to get into it will be purely bolt on equipment. If I did anything to the engine, it would be to have it swapped out for a turbo diesel. I'm 37 years old, I'm trying to get a loan for a house and take care of my family, I cannot be dropping thousands of bucks into this. Hell I'm having to budget out a set of tires (cheap tires, like $120 each!) 2 at a time piece meal. With the exception of some good offroad tires that won't stick me in the mud at the worst possible time (say for instance when running from people who want to kill me and my family for our food and water supplies) I know in my heart my truck is already capable performing the task for which I bought it for which is to have a tough vehicle for emergency evacuation amid chaos and be able to protect us and all our gear and supplies. Sorry for going on a negative tangent but I have been over run with doubt regarding our economy and I fear the chaos that would / will ensue there-after, meaning a crash. In my mind I have become the crazy homeless guy holding a sign screaming "The end is nigh!!"

It's funny you say that...... I have to chair the occupational health and safety committee at my work. It was always being brought up about earthquakes and what we would do....... which is very relevant on the west coast of BC.

So I get the city of vancouver to come do a presentation on earthquake preparedness... their evacuation routes, and how they would handle the emergency. etc

Let's just say I'm more scared now, than before the presentation. I spent the next 2 nights (while my wife was working) to search google earth and figure out how to get out of the city without crossing a bridge. I also registered to take my PAL. (gun license) and am buying a shotgun.

3 days without food and water and people become violent.

If @!*% goes down, I need to be prepared. The camping supplies we have will allow us to 'survive' outside the city for a while. I guess till things settle down. next purchase is a cb radio.

the lesson I got from the whole presentation, is that no one will be respsonsible for your or your family's personal safety. it's up to you.. not screaming doomsday here. but a little prep such as stored water and food will go a long way.

Hey Harbinger don't get me wrong I'm loving my tough new coil, it feels really smooth and powerful on the freeway, I've been racing around with my power switch turned on just for the fun of it! However, when I consider the reason I bought my Pathy, that's when I feel a little low because I potentially compromised my family's safety via possibly frying my car because of a frivolous upgrade which I didn't really know how it would affect my truck. Hey how do you like your Yoko Geolanders? Been through any deep crud? Oh and are the Cragar Soft 8s the same back spacing / offset as the stock nissan wheels?

Banx thank you for letting me feel a little less crazy, I have considered this topic at length and coincedentally have also used Google Earth to look for secluded hidden spots near bodies of water that my family and I could use as a home base to hunt, fish, have a water source and live long term. I'm not sure about a cb radio if I'm going that route or not but I do have two hand wind generator emergency radios that we can use at any time regardless of batteries to hear the status of the outside world. I do also have a sawed off (18" barrel for you law enforcement) 12 gauge shot gun with some double 00 buck shot wad cutters and a little bit lighter ammo for use inside the house (you know so you can kill a bad guy without also killing a member of your family when the buck shot goes through the drywall into the next room) Also have a .22 that my 12 year old son knows how to shoot (he also knows how to drive the pathy offroad, I put him behind the wheel, stuck in 4 wheel drive and let him slam through a water mud hole a few times :)) He and I have already reconned an area on the water we might be able to utilize safely removed from others.

As I stated above I have meditated on this topic for hours and hours over the last few years, so much so that I could write a horror novel about it. I realize this is not the proper place for me to ramble on at length about such things, I know you all don't want to be subjected to that, I am even now in danger of going on a tangent and am trying to keep it reeled in (I have just deleted my 3rd waay too long paragraph!) Please take steps to protect yourself, some extra canned food and water. Everytime I walk into a cvs or walgreens for a quick item I get atleast two cans of Spam and a case of water. Living in a hurricane zone here in Houston Texas, going through evacuations, I can tell you MILLIONS OF PANICKED PEOPLE ARE SCARY! Other people are the most terrifying thing there is.

This is the 3rd and last time I will discuss this topic in this forum, I apologize to those of you who I made feel uncomfortable. I welcome any questions or comments at my email address and I'll talk with anyone about this in that manner: gv280z@yahoo.com

Edited by gv280z

if your that worried about it, make a thread on it in off topic or something, someone who don't want to read it can simply chose not to click on it :shrug:

and I thought the capitol "PANICKED" near the end of the post said "PANCAKES"" and got excited for a second... I'm currently hungry...