Radiator

Steve_RI

I picked up a cheap radiator today, but it has what I think are two outlets on the bottom for an auto transmission. I have a 5 spd so I do not need them. Is there a preferred way to plug these or should I return it. Thanks.

I installed an after market cooler and deleted the stock one. (just went around it) its just sitting down there uncapped and unused... lol. its fine. :)

i did not plug or cap them. whats going to happen? worst case some mud/dirt/water gets in there. but you are not using. and you have a 5spd anyway. im never going back to the stock cooler as it is a bad idea!

I've considered using the A/T cooler for the power steering, but since I'm not running hydraulic assist, I didn't feel it was worth the hassle. I don't think anything bad can happen if they aren't plugged or capped.

they only benefit automatic owners. And even with an aftermarket cooler, I would cap them. I used one of my transmission lines to "loop" the cooler, JUST in case I ever need to run it temporarily.

Capping them is a good idea! If crap gets in there it can corrode the tank and maybe even cause the coolant to leak out.

^^^^ Absolutely right. Cap those suckers off. It's not imperative, especially with a brand new rad. But if 10 minutes worth of work and $1 worth of caps cause you to loose all your coolant one day, you're going to be PISSED!

Mine aren't capped but if your really worried about it just run a hose between them or get caps...I don't think you would have it fail BC there's no electricity going thru the radiator to increase the corrosion but it wouldn't hurt to cap them...I chose not to

Yea, I was under the impression that the coolant would just drain out. I had no idea. I have a couple of nylon caps I can use to keep debris out. Thanks for the help and saving me some time, effort and grief.

use the empty space to run moonshine

:aok: this!

There's still cut off-un capped lines hanging off mine from the automatic truck it's originally out of :lol: never concerned me and don't have the worry/care to take the 5 seconds to take them off/plug them. (along with wing cheap, i have been known to have a spot of laziness too :lol: )